Magnepan MG30.7 All-Time Best Buy

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Magnepan MG30.7 All-Time Best Buy
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2018, 12:11 am »
I'm going to have to hear a set if nothing else.

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2018, 05:55 am »
I love Maggie's. My first high end speaker was Maggies, but to claim a $30k speaker is considered all time best biuy. Smh.

rbbert

« Reply #3 on: 15 Feb 2018, 01:13 pm »
The 20.7 more clearly fits my idea of an “all time” best buy

Paul McNeil

« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2018, 10:57 pm »
I'd love to hear them! I completely agree, as I'm sure many here do, with the reviewer that Maggie's have a very special sound, one that gets you closer to live then anything else with classical and jazz. And if these really do reproduce bass accurately down to 20 HZ (without rattles, which my 20.1s produce below 50 HZ, 80 dB), I'm sold. My 1.7s (music only) do best crossed over at 120 HZ, as I have mentioned in a previous post, not because of rattles but because the bass from there on down is wildly uneven. Too bad the Absolute Sound remains absolutely subjective and does not publish measurements, otherwise we would know the answer to this question.

2bigears

« Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 2018, 11:50 pm »
 :D     29,000.00   Rich and famous only need apply.   :D  they better be decent for that $$$$
        20.1 were like 4 or 5 grand new.  I had them. Just ok really.  But I like R&R.. do indeed love power.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #6 on: 16 Feb 2018, 04:52 am »
Wait.. when?
"20.1 were like 4 or 5 grand new."
Maybe back when Reagan was president???

In 2010 Magnepan 3.6 retailed for $5,400.
The current 20.7 retail is $13,850.

jsm71

« Reply #7 on: 16 Feb 2018, 07:35 pm »
I agree these will be fun to hear.  I see they are exhibiting at Axpona this spring.  Perhaps they will bring a pair of these.  I had 1.7s and appreciated the bigger models but room size will likely take more people out of contention than cost.  I applaud them for bringing these to the market however.  Lots of companies have flagship models that take big rooms.

2bigears

« Reply #8 on: 16 Feb 2018, 09:05 pm »
 :D I stand Way Corrected.  Thank you.  I meant 3.6's.   So sorry.  50% of average people can't do a 500 dollar hic-up in the home.  You make more $ selling one Caddie than a few realistic small cars I guess is the principle here.  Like VAC with their 60,000.00 dollar amps.   :D
      The 3-6's were dam nice in the vocals and instruments.  Rock and roll wasn't where they shone.  :D

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #9 on: 16 Feb 2018, 10:07 pm »
I just got the news my 20.7 should be shipped in a couple/three of weeks.
I already put a cardboard 'top' up on my 3.6 to train the cockatiel to fly higher when he is making the rounds about the room. (he got it right off)

I waffled for a few years but finally decided yeah, hell or high water I am gonna own some 20.7s.

Some folks say bad things about 20's in small rooms.. I will certainly find out.
11'7" width, length 26'2" (but a 4' wide closet wall between hall and kitchen 18' 10" back) 8' ceiling.
I calculated fractions to determine where I would place my 3.6/ They are 1/7 of longer room length.. and 1/5 is the same distance to the shorter closet wall which leaves the Maggies 45" from rear wall. With great non standing wave distances..
I plan on trying the same location for my 20.7

I have had a hard time getting off of a slightly 'lean' sound and I figure if the 20.7s have too much midbass and bass I can easily undo the anti lean stuff I had done
Including angle of speakers*. cable, plugging amp back into  conditioner instead of

*I have the speakers turned in a lot, the speaker center line of sight crosses in front of the seating position, tweets 'in'... for the most bass I can pry out of my 3.6s (along with a side panel added to the bass side of the speakers which by chance makes my 3.6 as wide as the 20.7 at 29")

I am looking forward to having a whole new listening experience.

mr_bill

« Reply #10 on: 16 Feb 2018, 10:42 pm »
GReat news Elizabeth!
Please share your excitement and pics when you receive them.
Would love to have a pair.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #11 on: 16 Feb 2018, 11:03 pm »
Congratulations in advance on the 20.7s.
I'll get another pair after I retire and move so a few years down the road.

johnto

« Reply #12 on: 18 Feb 2018, 03:00 pm »
Hi Elizabeth
Congrats on the Maggie 20.7. I will be waiting to hear your listening report. I just went through a similar room size issue myself moving from the 1.7i to the 3.7i in a 12 x 15 room but I'm glad I did, I'm sure you'll be thrilled with your new speakers.

josh358

« Reply #13 on: 22 Feb 2018, 10:41 pm »
I agree these will be fun to hear.  I see they are exhibiting at Axpona this spring.  Perhaps they will bring a pair of these.  I had 1.7s and appreciated the bigger models but room size will likely take more people out of contention than cost.  I applaud them for bringing these to the market however.  Lots of companies have flagship models that take big rooms.
Yeah, I don't think many people will be putting these in convenience apartments. :-) But they don't require a humongous room -- the one in the photo with the back of the reviewer's head was only 15' wide, and I have a pair of Tympani IVA's, which are roughly the same size, in a room about that wide. The trick is that bass panels of the IVA's and 30.7's can be split off and go right against the wall, whereas you usually want about 2' minimum for the smaller models.

What does happen, with my IVA's and Steve's 20.7's, anyway, is that you get too much midbass. But as Elizabeth said, you can always tame that easily enough. The way I look at it, when I've EQ'd it down, I just have more headroom!

josh358

« Reply #14 on: 22 Feb 2018, 10:53 pm »
I'd love to hear them! I completely agree, as I'm sure many here do, with the reviewer that Maggie's have a very special sound, one that gets you closer to live then anything else with classical and jazz. And if these really do reproduce bass accurately down to 20 HZ (without rattles, which my 20.1s produce below 50 HZ, 80 dB), I'm sold. My 1.7s (music only) do best crossed over at 120 HZ, as I have mentioned in a previous post, not because of rattles but because the bass from there on down is wildly uneven. Too bad the Absolute Sound remains absolutely subjective and does not publish measurements, otherwise we would know the answer to this question.
They're definitely flat to 20 Hz. Whether they'll rattle, well, my IVA's never have (they go to 25 Hz), and neither did my old 1-D's, the tweeter fuses would blow before the bass panels bottomed out. But I suppose it depends on how hard you drive them. Someone did measurement of the IVA bass panels and they started compressing at about the level of the typical sub, but for super high SPL's and bass slam, I don't think anything planar will match a big sub, or a big dynamic like a Wilson.

Still, I've always liked Tympanis because I think they're a great compromise between near-electrostatic clarity and near-dynamic slam. As a friend described my 1-D's back in the 80's, "Maggies with bass!" And if I wanted more slam, I'd just get a big sub and switch it in when I was listening to rock or pipe organ or watching a movie with lots of explosions in it. Otherwise, subs color the sound and with 25 Hz response I don't need them -- the bass of a Tympani is amazing because it sounds *real* on acoustical instruments in a way that enclosed dynamics just don't.

simoon

« Reply #16 on: 21 Mar 2018, 08:18 pm »
I am going to hear them on Saturday //24 at Shelly's Audio in the Los Angeles area.

I love Maggie's. My first high end speaker was Maggies, but to claim a $30k speaker is considered all time best biuy. Smh.

When compared to the prices of the speakers they are said to compete with sonically, I would say they are a best buy.

All price ranges of equipment have a best buy product.

simoon

« Reply #17 on: 24 Mar 2018, 09:29 pm »
I just finished listening to the 30.7 demo at Shelly's.

I had to leave the demo a bit early, before Wendell got there.

But I was extremely impressed with the speakers. Extremely detailed and transparent.

I will reiterate what I previously said, sonically they compete with many highly respected speakers priced at around $100K, so my impression is they are a 'best by'.