I may need a doctor.

racerxnet

I may need a doctor.
« on: 1 Dec 2019, 01:14 pm »
James,

How does Bryston handle shipping and labor to have my 2 amps and Pre-amp given a check-up to insure optimal playback? Serial numbers are: 77193, 77166, and 250575. I've had the output level change during playback and thought its best to have Bryston look at them all.

MAK

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: I may need a doctor.
« Reply #1 on: 1 Dec 2019, 01:50 pm »
James,

How does Bryston handle shipping and labor to have my 2 amps and Pre-amp given a check-up to insure optimal playback? Serial numbers are: 77193, 77166, and 250575. I've had the output level change during playback and thought its best to have Bryston look at them all.

MAK

Hi MAK

I assume you are in North America?

Also maybe check with another source to see if its the preamp or the amps - I doubt its the amps as both would not have a similar problem at the same time.

james

racerxnet

« Reply #2 on: 1 Dec 2019, 02:21 pm »
Hi MAK

I assume you are in North America?

Also maybe check with another source to see if its the preamp or the amps - I doubt its the amps as both would not have a similar problem at the same time.

james

Yes I am in Illinois. The issue resides in the left channel and when I turn the balance knob back and forth (BP25) the problem corrects itself. I figure that the system is a bit old and all the components should be checked for future use. My hunch is the DAC is acting up with the TriVistor tubes. I replaced them once several years back. Unfortunately, I don't have another DAC as of yet, so not certain of the cause. The problem does not show immediately, but I will notice this randomly during the playback. Move the balance knob and the issue disappears. 

Can you tell me the age of the components from the serial numbers? I'd like to have a check up on these ,mainly for peace of mind.

Thanks,

MAK

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 1 Dec 2019, 09:15 pm »
Yes I am in Illinois. The issue resides in the left channel and when I turn the balance knob back and forth (BP25) the problem corrects itself. I figure that the system is a bit old and all the components should be checked for future use. My hunch is the DAC is acting up with the TriVistor tubes. I replaced them once several years back. Unfortunately, I don't have another DAC as of yet, so not certain of the cause. The problem does not show immediately, but I will notice this randomly during the playback. Move the balance knob and the issue disappears. 

Can you tell me the age of the components from the serial numbers? I'd like to have a check up on these ,mainly for peace of mind.

Thanks,

MAK

Hi MAK

Send the serial numbers to Mike and he can check the age for you - mpickett@bryston.com.

It would be very rare for the amps or the preamp to exhibit the behaviour you describe so I would say the tube DAC for sure is the culprit. 

james

witchdoctor

« Reply #4 on: 1 Dec 2019, 09:44 pm »
James,

MAK

Did you call for a doctor? The witchdoctor is in  :green:

rob80b

« Reply #5 on: 4 Dec 2019, 01:42 pm »
...... The issue resides in the left channel and when I turn the balance knob back and forth (BP25) the problem corrects itself.........
Thanks,

MAK

Hi Mak

If you're handy with a screw driver (Robertson green #1, later models or recently serviced may need a torque type,) you may want to give this a go...although your problem sounds like it may reside in the balance pot which is sealed and will need to be addressed.

My system appreciation has been fairly consistent until just recently, balance starting swinging to the right, which I blamed on allergies, then I felt my vinyl sounded a bit distorted which I blamed on the cartridge/needle, then there was a bit of leakage and buzzing from the phono to the balance 1 input, also there was an increase in static when turning the input selector, at which point giving the input selector a couple of back and forth rotations hoping to self clean the contacts I lost volume on the left channel of the phono stage and then the other inputs. :bawl:
Well to make a long story short I did the normal trouble shooting and came to the conclusion the BP25P was the culprit :idea:, so before sending her off to Bryton I popped the lid.

The contacts for the input selectors are not completely sealed although there is a partial plastic covering, by saturating the corner of a very thin piece of paper with methyl hydrate I was able to clean the contact points and voila all of the above mentioned problems were eradicated  :banana piano: and the selector noise which was always there from day one was also cleared up, zero static, silent. Maybe even the erratic tick I hear from time to time when playing the BCD-1 was attributable to a dirty contact but only time will tell.
So with a little internal house everything sounds better than I ever remember. :beer:

racerxnet

« Reply #6 on: 8 Dec 2019, 07:36 pm »
I hate to be a sour puss, but having emailed Mike at Bryston and explaining my problem, I got 1 reply (Balance control pot could be dirty) and nothing further. I don't expect Bryston to foot the bill for a check up on my components. All I asked in my return reply was; what is your thoughts in having the amps and Pre checked out considering their age. Nothing... I didn't get an address or phone number to follow up with. If I have to, I can forgo Bryston in the future and take it to a local repair shop.

MAK

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 8 Dec 2019, 07:38 pm »
I hate to be a sour puss, but having emailed Mike at Bryston and explaining my problem, I got 1 reply (Balance control pot could be dirty) and nothing further. I don't expect Bryston to foot the bill for a check up on my components. All I asked in my return reply was; what is your thoughts in having the amps and Pre checked out considering their age. Nothing... I didn't get an address or phone number to follow up with. If I have to, I can forgo Bryston in the future and take it to a local repair shop.

MAK

Hi MAK

So Mike did not respond?

james

racerxnet

« Reply #8 on: 8 Dec 2019, 07:59 pm »
I got 1 reply (Balance control pot could be dirty) and nothing further.

MAK

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 8 Dec 2019, 10:16 pm »
OK I will revisit it with Mike and do you want to send in your gear to have it checked?

james

racerxnet

« Reply #10 on: 10 Dec 2019, 02:06 pm »
OK I will revisit it with Mike and do you want to send in your gear to have it checked?

james

That would be great. I need an address for shipping.

Thanks,

MAK