Headphone Recommendations for listening to Classical music with a DAP

Freo-1

Wanted to get back with some additional observations with the W60's:

It turns out they are even better performers than I first thought.  The octave to octave balance is very good.  Since getting ear buds is is hardest part of getting IEM's to sound right, that took some time to get the optimum fit.  Once I got that sorted, the performance of the IEM's really started to shine.  Minor adjustments with the KANN equalizer were easy pick up on with the W60's.  I've had other IEM's where that was not the case.  So, with slight adjustments to the EQ curve, the W60's really started to shine.  Playing familiar symphonic pieces, it was readily apparent that instruments had a natural sound and timbre, and the sound stage was wide for IEM's.  To me, they were an overall improvement in sound quality over the JH Audio Rosies (I liked the sound of the Rosies, but they were not comfortable).  The fact that the W60's sound more to my liking is gravy.

In summary, the W60's are worthy of an audition, especially if you are pairing them with an AK KANN.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Good choice.  With IEMs simpler is usually better - but its hard to find borh simple and high quality together. 

nature boy

I am a classical music fanatic and the Etymotic ER4 or ER3 are the way to go, especially if you use the aftermarket Comply tips with them.  The ety’s provide good comfort, excellent isolation and a perfect window onto the recording.

Tyson,

I need to replace some aging IEM's.

What Comply tips do you find work best with the Etymotic 4 IEM's.  They're several different flavors?  Also do you have the 4SR's or the XR's?  Thanks.

NB

dB Cooper

Can I take a crack at that? (YMMV applies in spades to everything I'm about to say.)
Few things in audio are harder to guess than which eartips are going to suit another listener- one person's 'comfortable' is another's misery. I've actually gotten better results with the 100 series than the longer 'P' 'Isolation' series. They also make a 'comfort' version which is spherical rather than cylindrical. Not as much isolation as the others but very comfortable. I use one size larger with those for a snugger fit. But I recommend starting with the 100's. They make 'variety packs' which have a pair of each so you can experiment. BTW Westone tips work also.

Tyson

Tyson,

I need to replace some aging IEM's.

What Comply tips do you find work best with the Etymotic 4 IEM's.  They're several different flavors?  Also do you have the 4SR's or the XR's?  Thanks.

NB

I have the ER 3XR, I used to have the ER4.  IME, get the ER 3XR, they sound just as good as the ER4 that I used to have.  The XR plus the foam tips give better stronger bass than the ER3SR or ER4SR. 

These are the only ones with a narrow enough hole to fit the ER4's - http://www.complyfoam.com/products/p-series/

Freo-1

I have the ER 3XR, I used to have the ER4.  IME, get the ER 3XR, they sound just as good as the ER4 that I used to have.  The XR plus the foam tips give better stronger bass than the ER3SR or ER4SR. 

These are the only ones with a narrow enough hole to fit the ER4's - http://www.complyfoam.com/products/p-series/

Those are the same tips that are supplied with the Westone.

dB Cooper

I have purchased Westone tips and they appear to be made of a somewhat denser material than the Comply tips.

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!

I am interested in trying the ER3 XR's.  However, I have small ear canals.  I believe that you stated that you also have small canals.  The above site shows the Medium size tips.  Is this the size that you use or should I be getting the Small?

Regards,

Randy

nature boy

Tyson,

Thank you for the recommendation on the 3XR"s and Comply tips.  Greatly appreciated.

NB

JohnR

Any of the Comply 100 series will fit the ER4.

rklein

I am interested in trying the ER3 XR's.  However, I have small ear canals.  I believe that you stated that you also have small canals.  The above site shows the Medium size tips.  Is this the size that you use or should I be getting the Small?

Regards,

Randy

No replies to my question...

Guess I will just order the the package that has both small, medium and large tips to see what works best for me.

Regards,

Randy

Tyson

No replies to my question...

Guess I will just order the the package that has both small, medium and large tips to see what works best for me.

Regards,

Randy

Probably best to order all 3 sizes.  I have small/odd shaped ear canals, and I'm fine with the mediums.  Probably because the foam compresses so much.  On the other hand, the small might be more comfortable for me over the long term, after a couple hours I get some hotness from the medium tips being in continuously. 

rklein

Probably best to order all 3 sizes.  I have small/odd shaped ear canals, and I'm fine with the mediums.  Probably because the foam compresses so much.  On the other hand, the small might be more comfortable for me over the long term, after a couple hours I get some hotness from the medium tips being in continuously.

thanks for the reply Tyson.  I will go ahead and order the package with all three sizes knowing that my choice will  be between the medium and small.

BTW, B&H Photo has the ER3XR's on sale for $164.32.  :thumb:

Oh yeah, since you are a classical music lover, thought I would let you know that I am performing the Copeland Clarinet Concerto with the Canton Symphony Orchestra this March 3rd.  I will send you a recording of the performance.

Regards,

Randy

Tyson

thanks for the reply Tyson.  I will go ahead and order the package with all three sizes knowing that my choice will  be between the medium and small.

Oh yeah, since you are a classical music lover, thought I would let you know that I am performing the Copeland Clarinet Concerto with the Canton Symphony Orchestra this March 3rd.  I will send you a recording of the performance.

Regards,

Randy

Oh man a recording would be awesome - thanks!!!!  I'd say I'm about 90% classical now.  I just picked up a Japanese remaster of the Mendelssohn symphonies with the Berlin PO - uhm wow!  I thought I hated Mendelssohn, but this recording has opened up the music to me in a way that no other performances have.  Love it when that happens. 

Anyway, Copland's Clarinet Concerto is a great piece: First movement is beautiful, and the 2nd movement cooks.  I'd love to hear that recording :thumb:

Freo-1

I have purchased Westone tips and they appear to be made of a somewhat denser material than the Comply tips.

I was going on the pictures from the website.  Since I have not purchased any tips from Comply, I'll take your word that they are different density. 

nature boy

Regards,

Randy

Thanks Randy for the sale info.  Just ordered my pair of ER3xr's.

NB

davidgrace

For home listening I love the long discontinued AKG501s that are highly rated for classical music.
If I didn't have those I'd look for used Stax phones and an amp. Such subtlety and lack of distortion allows you to pick up all the details on the music without exaggeration.