FireFox 54.0.1 (32-bit) unstable

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
FireFox 54.0.1 (32-bit) unstable
« on: 7 Aug 2017, 01:04 am »
When this version arrived the problems started, FF gets w/a black screen and locks all the tabs when watching videos on YT, it no respond to any button all tabs stay black.
By activating McAfee Web Advisor the situation gets worse, the FF gets lost/full inoperative in loop, even without running videos, only 2 tabs open.
Hope they fix this fast, anyone is in similar situation or is just my W10 PC?
It can be the W10 Creators?
« Last Edit: 7 Aug 2017, 02:11 am by FullRangeMan »

audio.bill

Re: FireFox 54.0.1 (32-bit) unstable
« Reply #1 on: 7 Aug 2017, 02:21 am »
I'm running the same version of FF (54.0.1 32 bit version) on an ASUS desktop PC on Windows 10 with all current updates without any issues.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 7 Aug 2017, 02:24 am »
How much favorites do you have on FF?

srb

« Reply #3 on: 7 Aug 2017, 02:29 am »
Firefox 54.0.1 32-bit is fine with my standard Windows 10 64-bit edition.

I would advise in the future not to update Windows 10 to a new major version if it's not mandatory, at least not right away until the typical bug fixes are issued.

In the meantime, you might get relief from updating your video driver (if an update is available).  Even if Windows reports the video driver is up to date, you may want to manually search for an updated one, preferably from the driver downloads page of your computer manufacturer's website.

Steve

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 7 Aug 2017, 05:14 am »
I tried all the tricks and fixes and finally had to uninstall Firefox 54.0.1 32 bit and install Firefox 55.0 64 bit (beta) to get it to work with Creators.

Windows 10, version 1703 has finally settled down with less weirdness happening which is a good thing since everyone will get it very soon.
Last week 1703 was declared Current Branch for Business (CBB) and thus would be widely released to Windows 10 Pro users who chose to defer the feature release, Windows 10 Home users can not defer.

Wayne

Doublej

« Reply #5 on: 7 Aug 2017, 11:15 am »
It's also possible that an extension could be the cause of your woes. Try running it in safe mode and see if the problem goes away.

audio.bill

« Reply #6 on: 7 Aug 2017, 12:45 pm »
How much favorites do you have on FF?
I can't find an easy way to count my favorites, but I'd guess I have over 1,000.

srb

« Reply #7 on: 7 Aug 2017, 01:09 pm »
I can't find an easy way to count my favorites, but I'd guess I have over 1,000.

Bookmarks  >  Show All Bookmarks
Type  /  in the Search field
Select any bookmark in the results box
Select All  (Ctrl + A)

Number of bookmark items will be displayed below

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 7 Aug 2017, 06:17 pm »
Select All  (Ctrl + A)

Thanks for the tip, so I have 168, its not much.
My FF 54 also is slow, first time it was like this.
This slowness started much longer, if I remember correctly it was in version 53 when using McAfee Web Advisor only, that I disabled.

audio.bill

« Reply #9 on: 7 Aug 2017, 06:23 pm »
Select All  (Ctrl + A)

Thanks for sharing that tip; my estimate of 1,000 was pretty close as it shows I actually have 1,070.

srb

« Reply #10 on: 7 Aug 2017, 06:51 pm »
1,724 Bookmarks

BTW, Firefox 64-bit isn't an option for me anyway, as that version works with very few add-on Extensions, and I have come to rely on a number of them.

Doublej

« Reply #11 on: 7 Aug 2017, 07:26 pm »
What's the benefit of running the 64 bit version of Firefox if you don't have 4GB+ of pages open at once?

srb

« Reply #12 on: 7 Aug 2017, 08:11 pm »
What's the benefit of running the 64 bit version of Firefox if you don't have 4GB+ of pages open at once?

Very little, although I suppose if you have a number of other applications already open that are using most of the first 4GB of memory, then opening 64-bit Firefox might be able to initially access memory space above 4GB without going to pagefile "memory".

Funny thing is although you might expect the 64-bit version to be faster for many tasks, in all the tests I have seen 32-bit Firefox outperformed 64-bit Firefox in nearly every test, except for opening Firefox after a reboot - the 64-bit version opened in ~ .5 seconds quicker!

Before a system rebuild 9 months ago, I had both versions installed, but when I discovered that most of my add-on Extensions wouldn't work, I never looked back at 64-bit.

I regularly use:

GENERAL TOOLS:
  FireFTP
  DownThemAll!
  PlainOldFavorites
  TBgoto
  Zoom Page
  Copy Plain Text 2
  Open In Chrome
  Open in IE
  OperaView
  Safari View Win

WEB PAGE TOOLS:
  ColorZilla
  FontInformation
  Tilt

Steve

WGH

« Reply #13 on: 8 Aug 2017, 01:16 am »

The only benefit for me is that it works with Windows version 1703 - Creators update, 64 bit Firefox it is completely stable and works with the few plugins I use.
While I was trouble shooting Firefox I tried using the Windows Edge browser, what a MF disaster that thing is.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 8 Aug 2017, 01:46 am »
FF-64 run the plugin Classic Theme Restorer?

audio.bill

« Reply #15 on: 8 Aug 2017, 01:58 am »
I regularly use:

GENERAL TOOLS:
  FireFTP
  DownThemAll!
  PlainOldFavorites
  TBgoto
  Zoom Page
  Copy Plain Text 2
  Open In Chrome
  Open in IE
  OperaView
  Safari View Win

WEB PAGE TOOLS:
  ColorZilla
  FontInformation
  Tilt

Steve
Steve - Thanks for sharing these add-ons, I just installed TBgoto and Copy Plain Text 2 which I wasn't previously aware of. Some others I use are Adblock Plus, Dashlane, Print Edit, and Speed Tweaks (SpeedyFox).

srb

« Reply #16 on: 8 Aug 2017, 02:07 am »
Steve - Thanks for sharing these add-ons, I just installed TBgoto and Copy Plain Text 2 which I wasn't previously aware of.

Avast Anti-Virus regularly flags TBgoto as a suspicious or non-reputable add-on, but I've never had a problem.  Maybe there's some background data collection I'm unaware of, but McAfee AV and Malwarebytes have no problem with it nor did Google locate any pages discussing problems associated with it, so I'm ignoring Avast's warning as a heuristic false positive.  :dunno:

Steve

audio.bill

« Reply #17 on: 8 Aug 2017, 11:48 am »
Avast Anti-Virus regularly flags TBgoto as a suspicious or non-reputable add-on, but I've never had a problem.  Maybe there's some background data collection I'm unaware of, but McAfee AV and Malwarebytes have no problem with it nor did Google locate any pages discussing problems associated with it, so I'm ignoring Avast's warning as a heuristic false positive.  :dunno:

Steve
Just as another data point, I run Bitdefender 2018 along with Malwarebytes Premium and neither warned of any issue with TBgoto.

mav52

« Reply #18 on: 8 Aug 2017, 11:51 am »
FF 55.0 is out and it shows correcting these bugs. So far its stable on my PC.

Fix a display issue of tab title (bug 1357656)

Fix a display issue of opening new tab (bug 1371995)

Fix a display issue when opening multiple tabs (bug 1371962)

Fix a tab display issue when downloading files (bug 1373109)

Fix a PDF printing issue (bug 1366744)

Fix a Netflix issue on Linux (bug 1375708)

WireNut

« Reply #19 on: 8 Aug 2017, 01:08 pm »
I'm using Opera Browser for the first time and absolutely love it.

Opera version: 46.0.2597.26376
System: Windows 7 64-bit

I tried Mozilla's new browsers "Waterfox" , no comparison to Opera IMO.

I just deleted all my browsers yesterday Except Opera.
They were, FireFox, WaterFox,Chrome,and a browser by Avira.

Love Opera so far.