New To Niteshade

rtc1

New To Niteshade
« on: 2 Mar 2010, 04:00 pm »
Good Morning All,

I have seen quite a few folks asking about the performance of the Niteshade preamps. and not found much in the way of experiences with it. So , I figured I would give one a try and post my findings ...I have purchased a Beacon Two and I will have it in a week or so -.

Blair has been a pleasure to work with so far and is doing some "special things" to my Beacon Two.

1. External Power Supply
2. A gain Switch with 0db/12bd selector. That way I can run it "unity Gain" if I want to ...
3. Blair also metioned that he had a few other things up his sleeve for mods..

My goal: To find a preamp. that will not add too much sugar or too much hype, and at the same time offer all of the "bloom/weight/texture/soul" of SET, that will not in any way detract from the performance of the Red Wine Audio Sig 30.2.   

Associated equipment will be:

Classic Audio Reproductions T3 Speakers
Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2 Amplifier
Audio Space CDP-8A CD Player
Rega Planar 3 with RB300 Arm
Denon DL103R MC Cartridge
Bob's Devices Cinemag MC Step Up Transformer
Graham Slee Signature Phono Stage

My findings will be posted on this forum after I have had a chance to live with the preamp for at least a few weeks. It will not be a formal review as I am not a reviewer, but, I will attempt to describe the sonic attributes of the Beacon Two and it's performance in my system.

I have been doing the Audio thing for 40 years now and have been thru more equipment than I would care to admit.

Wheather you will agree with my report on the preamp. or not, it will be my honest opinion.

Stay Tuned.

Bob

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: New To Niteshade
« Reply #1 on: 2 Mar 2010, 04:09 pm »
Bob-

Nice speakers!!!   :drool:

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #2 on: 6 Mar 2010, 12:20 pm »
I totally agree about the speakers!

Welcome aboard Bob.  :thumb:

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #3 on: 8 Mar 2010, 02:23 am »
Photos of your finished Beacon Two:

The Beacon Two shown has some options not seen all at once on most preamps:

1. 12v DC filaments: A 12 volt, 4 amp power supply is used to deliver DC.

2. Tube rectification: Resistively isolated from the double filter section. There is absolutely no noise on the B+

3. A 0db/10db gain switch. Use as an attenuator (buffer) or add gain when necessary.

4. High efficiency DC link capacitor circuit: These capacitors far exceed the specifications of any audio circuit. They can pass amps of current and do it all day.

Sound: Very clean, with sweet highs, rich mids and bass. I don't think it gets much better than this. ZERO noise output: No tube rush, no hum or buzz. AC noise is a thing of the past. Filament EMI is a non-issue.  :D

rtc1

« Reply #4 on: 8 Mar 2010, 02:30 am »
Looks very nice Blair! Can't wait to plug and play!

Bob

rtc1

« Reply #5 on: 29 Mar 2010, 07:38 pm »
Finally settling in since my last post...

Since then I have made quite a few system changes and have now settled in. My Sig 30 has had the partial upgrade done and now has the 30.2 innards.... I really am enjoying it and can now understand how it has successfully displaced many amplifiers costing much, much more...

I have had upgrades done before to some of my prior audio gear and was never really impressed with the outcome. Naturally, I was very skeptical about doing the upgrade, (Vinnie must be a saint, I was a real science project), but, I can tell you without hesitation, that it was easily the most meaningful upgrade that I could imagine...

To be honest, the Sig 30 before the partial upgrade was not exactly my cup of tea.. In my system it simply sounded like it needed to gain significant weight and bloom. The detail was there, the quiet was there, but, no heft, no weight.  I fully expected to have the partial upgrade done only to end up selling it on Audiogon.

I was WRONG! 

After running it in for approx. 3 weeks, I can tell you that the Sig 30.2 isn't going anywhere for a looong, loong while, if ever. It's that good. It's presentation of weight, complexity, bloom, ease pitch perfect bass, and natural highs, coupled with a DEAD quiet background are addicting!  It perform's as a 45 SET could, if it could make 30 watts.     

If anyone has any reservations about having the partial upgrade done, just cast em off, and have it done… Or email me, it’ll take me 30 seconds to sell you on the upgrade.

During this time I have used 2 different preamps. with the Sig 30.2. The first was the MAPLESHADE ULTRA 4A SE. The second was a Niteshade Beacon II, custom built for use with the Sig 30.2 with input to the builder from Vinnie.... (How many guys in the audio business would help another manufacturer design a preamp for a customer? Thanks Vinnie! ). 

The Mapleshade, while it sounded fine, was just that, fine. No more - no less. A little noisy, vocals were acceptable, bass was a little fat, top was “nice”.  And the main preamp chassis weighted only about a pound, even turning the volume control caused the preamp to move… Just didn’t feel or sound substantial to me. I sold it, thanks Audiogon.

Niteshade Audio Beacon Two preamp:

The Beacon Two was a completely different story. This is a really nice preamp.! Dead quiet, I’d say every bit as quiet as the Sig 30.2.  I ran it the first week with some RCA 6SN7’s.  It went through some strange periods during  the break-in process, especially the first week. Day one, bright, day 2 dark, day3 better more balanced, then it started to open up.

I had done some reading on 6SN7 tubes and found lots of folks recommending the Russian 6H8C tubes as replacements, (approx. $200.00 pr.). I decided to give these a try. Again, another immediate change for the better. I left these cooking in the preamp for a couple of days, went back to the system and honestly, the difference was amazing.

I should note that the way that the Niteshade  Beacon Two “stand-by mode” works (My term not Niteshades). There are two switches, one for the tube filaments of the 6SN7/6H8C that keeps them on in stand-by if you wish or off completely. The other power switch is for the high voltage which turns of the rectifier/high voltage circuit.  When I shut it down, I turn off the high voltage switch and leave the tube filament switch on - all the time… When ready to use it again, I flip on the high voltage circuit and within 1 minute I am playing music – no warm up time! 

Howzit sound? If foot tapping and smiling are any sign, it sounds outstanding. Quiet, dimensional front to back, full cinema width. Rich and natural without sounding euphonic. I’d say it’s an honest preamp. It gives you what ever you feed it.

One truly unique characteristic that I notice now is that the soundstage has excellent height! I have had lots of audio gear, LOTS!  I have never experienced this vertical dispersion characteristic as profoundly as now. Vocals have a spooky realism and image placement is as good as I have ever heard. The only other set-up that I have experienced that “may” have done this better is the original Magnaplanar MG20’s with some really high end electronics.

The switchable gain is also a very nice feature. One toggle switch that allows for 0db gain, (Unity gain) or 12db gain . I find that I use the 0db gain with phono and 12db going with CD. I set the gain at approx. 11:00 o’çlock on the Beacon Two and then dial up the gain on the Sig30.2 to an approx. maximum listening level. Then use the preamp gain to dial in the desired volume… The flexibility here is real nice. Most preamp seem to have a sweet spot, this one happens to be at ~ 11:00 o’clock on the preamp volume control and 2:00 o’clock on the Sig 30.2.  According to Blair at Niteshade, the preamp should be shut off before switching gain settings. (If you don’t you will hear a disturbing pop thru your speakers). I mentioned this to him the last time we spoke and he stated that he may have a way to eliminate this, he’s thinking on it…

Final thoughts:  If you are looking for a excellent preamp. , I encourage you to try the Beacon Two. If you are on the fence weather you should upgrade your Red Wine Audio Sig 30 to Sig 30.2, don’t hesitate, call Vinnie and tell him it’s on the way… I bet you will have it back in a week.   

Many thanks to Vinnie and Blair for their wonderful products and exemplary customer support!

System:

Niteshade Beacon Two Custom Preamp.

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2010, 08:13 pm »
Finally settling in since my last post...

Since then I have made quite a few system changes and have now settled in. My Sig 30 has had the partial upgrade done and now has the 30.2 innards.... I really am enjoying it and can now understand how it has successfully displaced many amplifiers costing much, much more...

I have had upgrades done before to some of my prior audio gear and was never really impressed with the outcome. Naturally, I was very skeptical about doing the upgrade, (Vinnie must be a saint, I was a real science project), but, I can tell you without hesitation, that it was easily the most meaningful upgrade that I could imagine...

To be honest, the Sig 30 before the partial upgrade was not exactly my cup of tea.. In my system it simply sounded like it needed to gain significant weight and bloom. The detail was there, the quiet was there, but, no heft, no weight.  I fully expected to have the partial upgrade done only to end up selling it on Audiogon.

I was WRONG! 

After running it in for approx. 3 weeks, I can tell you that the Sig 30.2 isn't going anywhere for a looong, loong while, if ever. It's that good. It's presentation of weight, complexity, bloom, ease pitch perfect bass, and natural highs, coupled with a DEAD quiet background are addicting!  It perform's as a 45 SET could, if it could make 30 watts.     

If anyone has any reservations about having the partial upgrade done, just cast em off, and have it done… Or email me, it’ll take me 30 seconds to sell you on the upgrade.

During this time I have used 2 different preamps. with the Sig 30.2. The first was the MAPLESHADE ULTRA 4A SE. The second was a Niteshade Beacon II, custom built for use with the Sig 30.2 with input to the builder from Vinnie.... (How many guys in the audio business would help another manufacturer design a preamp for a customer? Thanks Vinnie! ). 

The Mapleshade, while it sounded fine, was just that, fine. No more - no less. A little noisy, vocals were acceptable, bass was a little fat, top was “nice”.  And the main preamp chassis weighted only about a pound, even turning the volume control caused the preamp to move… Just didn’t feel or sound substantial to me. I sold it, thanks Audiogon.

Niteshade Audio Beacon Two preamp:

The Beacon Two was a completely different story. This is a really nice preamp.! Dead quiet, I’d say every bit as quiet as the Sig 30.2.  I ran it the first week with some RCA 6SN7’s.  It went through some strange periods during  the break-in process, especially the first week. Day one, bright, day 2 dark, day3 better more balanced, then it started to open up.

I had done some reading on 6SN7 tubes and found lots of folks recommending the Russian 6H8C tubes as replacements, (approx. $200.00 pr.). I decided to give these a try. Again, another immediate change for the better. I left these cooking in the preamp for a couple of days, went back to the system and honestly, the difference was amazing.

I should note that the way that the Niteshade  Beacon Two “stand-by mode” works (My term not Niteshades). There are two switches, one for the tube filaments of the 6SN7/6H8C that keeps them on in stand-by if you wish or off completely. The other power switch is for the high voltage which turns of the rectifier/high voltage circuit.  When I shut it down, I turn off the high voltage switch and leave the tube filament switch on - all the time… When ready to use it again, I flip on the high voltage circuit and within 1 minute I am playing music – no warm up time! 

Howzit sound? If foot tapping and smiling are any sign, it sounds outstanding. Quiet, dimensional front to back, full cinema width. Rich and natural without sounding euphonic. I’d say it’s an honest preamp. It gives you what ever you feed it.

One truly unique characteristic that I notice now is that the soundstage has excellent height! I have had lots of audio gear, LOTS!  I have never experienced this vertical dispersion characteristic as profoundly as now. Vocals have a spooky realism and image placement is as good as I have ever heard. The only other set-up that I have experienced that “may” have done this better is the original Magnaplanar MG20’s with some really high end electronics.

The switchable gain is also a very nice feature. One toggle switch that allows for 0db gain, (Unity gain) or 12db gain . I find that I use the 0db gain with phono and 12db going with CD. I set the gain at approx. 11:00 o’çlock on the Beacon Two and then dial up the gain on the Sig30.2 to an approx. maximum listening level. Then use the preamp gain to dial in the desired volume… The flexibility here is real nice. Most preamp seem to have a sweet spot, this one happens to be at ~ 11:00 o’clock on the preamp volume control and 2:00 o’clock on the Sig 30.2.  According to Blair at Niteshade, the preamp should be shut off before switching gain settings. (If you don’t you will hear a disturbing pop thru your speakers). I mentioned this to him the last time we spoke and he stated that he may have a way to eliminate this, he’s thinking on it…

Final thoughts:  If you are looking for a excellent preamp. , I encourage you to try the Beacon Two. If you are on the fence weather you should upgrade your Red Wine Audio Sig 30 to Sig 30.2, don’t hesitate, call Vinnie and tell him it’s on the way… I bet you will have it back in a week.   

Many thanks to Vinnie and Blair for their wonderful products and exemplary customer support!

System:

Niteshade Beacon Two Custom Preamp.
Nice review.. I also use the Russian 6H8C (6SN7) tube. It has incredible presence, definition and a great soundstage!! Enjoy your new preamp.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #7 on: 30 Mar 2010, 12:02 am »
Thank you for the great review! :thumb: 

This is an authentic dual mode preamp, the gain selector does not simply 'wire in' an attenuator in a gain circuit. It's much better than that. I am working on a design improvement to make the circuit transition smooth. The implementation of the upgrade will not effect sound quality.

More information on this upgrade will be posted in my web site soon.  :D

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 30 Mar 2010, 01:37 pm »
and a Beacon review here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=76527.0

Oops.  a repost from another circle.   :duh: