First build: X-LS mini-monitor

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: First build: X-LS mini-monitor
« Reply #20 on: 2 Jan 2011, 06:01 pm »
Jeff, Those look like some pro made them...my hats off to ya!!!! Awesome build!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

jeffh

« Reply #21 on: 2 Jan 2011, 06:58 pm »
What type of damping material did you use inside?

I used the floor tiles mentioned in this thread: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=86324.0
The boxes were built using 1 1/8" MDF and some foam I had.  These enclosures are dead.

jeffh

« Reply #22 on: 2 Jan 2011, 07:03 pm »
Nice job!

I always like the black oak and it is surprisingly easy to do.

Thanks. Your right it is very easy. I used Minwax PolyShade Classic Black Satin 395.  I applied 3 coats with light sanding with steel wool between coats.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #23 on: 5 Jan 2011, 12:18 am »
You can actually do it with any black latex paint and just top coat with latex "varnish".  It is almost impossible to hide the grain of oak.

jeffh

« Reply #24 on: 6 Jan 2011, 03:50 am »
Last pictures.  I finished the grills. 

Since I built these for my daughter, she needed a amp/receiver to go with the speakers.  I found an old Kenwood receiver and did some cosmetic updates.  I pulled the wood sides from the reciever  and veneered them with the same oak veneer I used on the speakers.  Then I painted them to match the speakers.  I repainted the top of the receiver with some textured spray paint.  I think it turned out great, she is happy and the speakers sound great with this receiver. 

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #25 on: 6 Jan 2011, 10:32 pm »
Nicely done!  A thrifty bugger like you could win me over :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :green:.

Ron

« Reply #26 on: 7 Jan 2011, 02:14 am »
 Great looking speakers!  :thumb: I'm sure they sound great too. Also, I like the cosmetic changes you did to the receiver so that it matches the speakers. That was a cleaver idea.

Randall Kepley

• Industry Participant
  • Kepley Custom Cabinets & Furniture
« Reply #27 on: 17 Jan 2011, 05:26 am »
Very nice set up for your daughter there Jeff, lucky girl. I two have daughters and I know how it goes they just have to give you that special look and here we go back out to the cabinet shop  :lol: oh well ..... Daddys little girls. Great Job, R.K.

grimace

« Reply #28 on: 6 Feb 2011, 10:17 pm »
Wow, very impressed.  Am just getting started myself, have to say I like the black oak.  Reminds me of my first speakers I ever had back in the 80's by Axiom.  How did you finish apply and then finish the veneer?

Thanks

jeffh

« Reply #29 on: 7 Feb 2011, 03:19 am »
grimace,

I used Minwax PolyShade Classic Black Satin 395.  I applied 3 coats with light sanding with steel wool between coats.

grimace

« Reply #30 on: 7 Feb 2011, 01:02 pm »
Thanks.  Really does look good.