Oppo BDP 103 IN THE HOUSE!

modwright

Oppo BDP 103 IN THE HOUSE!
« on: 9 Nov 2012, 10:52 pm »
I have just received an Oppo 103 from a customer, good enough to let me inspect it for possible modifications.

As I write this, I am running it into our KWI 200 integrated, both as a player and via SPDIF inputs, to compare to the sound of the DAC in our KWI 200 ($1150 upgrade).

The DAC clearly betters the stock 103, but this is to be expected.

The 103 is clearly a step up from the 83 and 93 models.  It has a sturdier overall build and there is greater overall rigidity to the enclosure as well as drive.  Less vibration means less jitter.  The analog stage is very well laid out, with excellent quality op-amps and very good power supply regulation.

The layout of the entire unit is EXTREMELY clean and efficient!

The video board is state of the art, and we will not be touching it.

The power supply is a switched-mode type and as such, produces inherent RF and other nasty artifacts.

I will first let the unit burn in, form my initial impressions, with our SS DAC as point of reference, and then move forward with the mods.

I am planning a mod that will be < $700.  Obviously if it does not outperform the 105 with our mods, then there is no point.

More to come.

Thanks,

Dan W.
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2013, 07:33 pm by modwright »

NutBuster

Re: Oppo BDP 103 IN THE HOUSE!
« Reply #1 on: 12 Nov 2012, 05:02 pm »
lOOking forward too the ModWright "103" vs. Oppo "105" comparison!

General Q bout the chances of adding a ModWright digital input too the "95" now that the "105" has coaxial & optical digital inputs as well as HDMI inputs [103 & 105 both have 2 HDMI inputs]?

blownrx7

« Reply #2 on: 12 Nov 2012, 05:55 pm »
looking forward too the ModWright "103" vs. Oppo "105" comparison!

General Q bout the chances of adding a ModWright digital input to the "95" now that the "105" has coaxial & optical digital inputs as well as HDMI inputs [103 & 105 both have 2 HDMI inputs]?

DITTO. I will add, that keeping the mod price as low as possible is important to us penny pinchers since digital obsolescence can make these mods a tough rationalization. Then again, not too many rational thinkers around here...
I'm kidding, I'm kidding! :P

SoCalWJS

« Reply #3 on: 12 Nov 2012, 06:17 pm »
lOOking forward too the ModWright "103" vs. Oppo "105" comparison!

General Q bout the chances of adding a ModWright digital input too the "95" now that the "105" has coaxial & optical digital inputs as well as HDMI inputs [103 & 105 both have 2 HDMI inputs]?
Another one watching - would love to hear how the stock 103 Analog section compares to the stock 95 dedicated analog out for that matter (need a baseline for comparison  :green:)

nullspace

« Reply #4 on: 12 Nov 2012, 10:02 pm »
Hi Dan,

I'll be interested in a modded 103 once they're available. I'm using a Modwright-modified Pioneer DV-563a currently, but it's past time for me to get a Blu-Ray player. I've had great luck with your stuff -- I'm also using a Response Audio RAM 301 integrated amp...

Regards,
John

modwright

« Reply #5 on: 13 Nov 2012, 07:18 am »
I will compare stock 103 to stock 95 and stock 105.

I am pleased with what I have heard so far from the 103 and feel that I know what its weak points are!  I am working on that now!

I expect to have a 105 in hand soon!

Thanks,

Dan

Early B.

« Reply #6 on: 31 Dec 2012, 06:43 pm »
NM

djkzk

« Reply #7 on: 13 Jan 2013, 07:23 pm »
Dan,

Any new news?

modwright

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jan 2013, 08:17 pm »
Hi guys, I have the final LPS design installed in a 103 and I am verifying that it will not generate too much heat.  I have heat-sinked the VR devices to AL angle that conducts to the enclosure, but I need to verify that it will not generate too much heat inside of the 103, with no fan and no ventilation!  This will not be a problem in the 105, with larger enclosure and lots of ventilation.

I will then listen to it with LPS upgrade only, compared to a stock 105.

After that, I will implement the rest of the 2CH SS mods and compare to stock 105.

Lastly, I will inspect video with the LPS and see if there is an obvious improvement.

Thank you,

Dan W.

roscoeiii

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jan 2013, 08:30 pm »
LPS?

srb

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jan 2013, 08:42 pm »
LPS?

Linear Power Supply, I believe.

Steve

roscoeiii

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jan 2013, 08:44 pm »
 :duh: thanks.

modwright

« Reply #12 on: 22 Jan 2013, 08:45 pm »
Sorry for obscure acronyms.

SMPS = Switched mode power supply.
LPS = Linear power supply.
LOL = Laugh out loud...

Further testing of supply today.  Still want to be sure that heat is not an issue with internal LPS in BDP-103.

Thanks,

Dan

m00nhawk

« Reply #13 on: 26 Jan 2013, 12:02 am »
Any further developments on the "BDP-103 as transport only" mod?

modwright

« Reply #14 on: 27 Jan 2013, 05:44 pm »
I am finalizing evaluation of mods for the 103 today, including evaluating it as a transport only, feeding our DAC in the KWI 200.  I expect to post results tomorrow.

Sincerely,

Dan W.

m00nhawk

« Reply #15 on: 27 Jan 2013, 10:12 pm »
Thanks, Dan.

I'm already on the waiting list, depending...

I'm basically interested in better SQ through HDMI, and improved video.

modwright

« Reply #16 on: 29 Jan 2013, 01:16 am »
The Results:

1) The LPS is a NO GO in the 103.  It runs too hot and the sonic benefits were simply not what I expected.  The enclosure is sealed, so there is no good way to reject heat.  Mr. Lee has designed a LPS that may be used in the unit.  I have tested and installed a 'Lee' LPS and it is a good design.  However, if you add Lee's LPS to a unit that we have modified, it WILL void our warranty.  I simply feel that the LPS generates too much heat for the 103.

2) The LPS in the 105 I have looked at extensively and decided the following:
    A) It ONLY provides 5V supply to the processor board and +15V to the drive.
    B) Despite the fact that the unit is passively ventilated, it already runs warm and I am concerned about heat.
    C) The LPS would put two transformers right below the MCH audio board and I would be concerned about EMI and other noise contributions.
    D) Ultimately, due to my findings with the 103, I have decided that the LPS for the 105 is simply not going to provide a worthwhile benefit and I am not willing to add the risk of future reliability issues, due to excess heat.

3) I listened to the 103 with LPS and SMPS and found VERY little difference.  I also measured the digital out signal and found no measurable difference.

4) The 103 stock is NOT as good as the 105 stock!  The 105 is MUCH BETTER!

5) The modified 103 (without LPS), but with upgrades to shielding, damping, parts upgrades in analog stage and power supply is much better and closer to the performance of the stock 105, but I would have to give the edge to the stock 105.

I have decided that we will offer a $500 mod for the 103 that will include the following (2CH only):
  Power Supply upgrades to stock SMPS.
  Chassis damping and shielding.
  Upgrades to analog stage (eliminate all coupling caps).
  Upgrade IEC to Furutech Cryo-treated IEC.

I am still tweaking a couple of things, but I first had to make a decision about the LPS.  I have not compared the two units strictly as transports, but would expect very similar results.  In both units, the digital out circuit, on the processor board, is powered by the SMPS.  This includes audio coax and optical out, as well as HDMI for video.  Both 105 and 103 use the same processor board and video chipset, powered by the same SMPS (Power Supply) design.

Our mods for the 103 are intended to improve its use as a player primarily.  The damping, shielding and power supply upgrades will provide some improvement to its use as a transport and for video.

Thanks guys, it has been a bit of a journey here and the results of the LPS surprised me, but I refuse to offer an upgrade that I do not feel is worthwhile and also that I am not confident of its ultimate reliability.

Sincerely,

Dan W.

m00nhawk

« Reply #17 on: 30 Jan 2013, 05:51 am »

Thanks for your efforts.  I'm disappointed but i appreciate your honesty.

So as a transport only, mainly for movies, is there much difference between a 103 and a 105?  Using the separate HDMI outs for audio and video?

That and the very occasional multichannel music disk is all I want from it.

talk2me

« Reply #18 on: 30 Jan 2013, 04:58 pm »
Thanks for your efforts.  I'm disappointed but i appreciate your honesty.

So as a transport only, mainly for movies, is there much difference between a 103 and a 105?  Using the separate HDMI outs for audio and video?

That and the very occasional multichannel music disk is all I want from it.

Going to use a dac?

m00nhawk

« Reply #19 on: 31 Jan 2013, 01:02 am »
Going to use a dac?

Yes--I run everything through a Bryston SP3.  I like to keep things simple, but this is an all-in -one entertainment system, i.e. movies, music, and TV.  I don't really use the Oppo for music, mostly just movies.  I have a BDP-1 for music.