Looking for a new center channel

mca

Looking for a new center channel
« on: 29 May 2015, 03:25 am »
I am getting ready to sell my Von Schweikert VR-35/LCR-15 combo as I have a pair of Daedalus Ulysses on order. I always thought the LCR-15 was a little boxy sounding. I am looking for a new center channel to go with the Ulysses. It does not need to match, just looking for a clear, open sounding center. I have two on my list so far, the Gallo Strada 2 center and the Ascend Sierra 2 center. Anyone have any comments on these or another center they can recommend? The room is 14' x 18' and will be powered by a Anthem MRX 710. 
« Last Edit: 1 Jul 2015, 07:55 pm by mca »

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Looking for a new center channel
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2015, 08:14 am »
It's a bit of a long way to audition a center channel, but you're welcome to come to Corvallis to check out my new Selah Audio Ancora CC. It's a sealed three-way with two 6.5" SB Acoustics Satori mid woofers, one 5" Satori midrange, and one Scan Speak Illuminator tweeter. It's still breaking in, but I figure I've run it for approximately 35 hours now.

It sounds really nice. [How nice, you ask? Well, darned nice!] It's much better that the Paradigm Studio CC-570 it replaced. I wanted the Satori drivers because ithe Ancora sound closely matches the Adelphos kit speakers from Meniscus Audio that I slapped together last year. [Okay. I admit to getting help with the cabinets.]

Since I connected the Ancora, I have had my subwoofer in my home office paired to my LGKs. Certainly, I notice the lack of a sub, but it's not a big deal. The center must be giving me bass into the mid-30s thanks to the double 6.5" midwoofers. That's not good enough for the really low booms and such, but plenty deep for most sounds. I'll eventually put my sub back again, but I'm not in a hurry.

How soon do you want to decide?

Have fun looking for a new center. You're going to love the Ulysses! I heard them at AXPONA '14. My next pair of speakers in the States will be Daedalus speakers once I scrounge up the cash.
Michael

mca

« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2015, 10:59 pm »
That is quite the center channel. It looks pretty large and I have a sneaking suspicion it is over my budget...

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2015, 12:55 am »
Hang on just a minute....If you want a center to go with Lou s speakers stop drop and roll right back to Lou and just get one of his Louis.   Their is also a person who played his Ulysses on their sides :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
I looked for the picture and I am rather sure (haven't had a beer yet but current on pain meds) there is one here on AC.

But seriously for synergy.  Might need to go with me and pick up empties after the fall football game starts up, but gotta do what it takes.

I have pumped Lou for a office set up.  Might get a rear surround unless you were going to use the Pans :scratch:

ajzepp

« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2015, 10:00 am »
It really surprises me when I see people choosing to go with a mismatched center speaker...that would truly drive me nuts lol

Have you considered just running phantom? That would present a much more coherent front stage than going with a mismatch, IMO.

Just my $.02
« Last Edit: 4 Jun 2015, 10:02 am by ajzepp »

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2015, 02:13 pm »
I'll second that.

mca

« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2015, 03:05 pm »
I have tried phantom mode with the Von Schweikerts, but we are always struggling to hear dialogue. Maybe the new speakers will image better and we wont have a problem. I'm not hardcore enough that the center has to match the mains, I just want to hear the dialogue clearly.

The Daedalus center channel is around 3k btw...

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2015, 03:23 pm »
I have a 4.1 system in the guest room/bonus room.  Nothing elaborate just Mobile Fidelity OML-1s as mains.  I've watch just a couple of movies up there and have not had any issues with dialog not being clear.  Don't know what you're using for HT?  I don't have anything elaborate.  Started our with a Pioneer 1120 that didn't fit depth wise the way I'd like it and then bought a refurb Denon 1000 which is not as deep (and probably when I upgrade something I'll try the Marantz 6003 just for a bit better sound).

ajzepp

« Reply #8 on: 4 Jun 2015, 10:10 am »
I have tried phantom mode with the Von Schweikerts, but we are always struggling to hear dialogue. Maybe the new speakers will image better and we wont have a problem. I'm not hardcore enough that the center has to match the mains, I just want to hear the dialogue clearly.

The Daedalus center channel is around 3k btw...

I see. Well if you aren't concerned about the mismatch, I'd highly recommend the CG24 speaker from Rogersound Labs. It's very reasonably priced, but one of the best speakers I've ever owned (I own a full set of 5 RSLs, 3 CG24s across the front and a pair of CG4s in back).  I'm mainly a planar guy, but I love my RSLs. I have a pretty big thread on them somewhere around here in this circle.

It even looks purdy and they'll pay for the return shipping if you aren't pleased.

ajzepp

« Reply #9 on: 4 Jun 2015, 10:11 am »
I'll second that.

Every time I read the quote below your pic I smile, Bob...I wear my "introverted basement dweller" badge with pride haha

PS: I swear, one of these days we all need to show up at Phil's house for the weekend and sample the rigs he has in each room...I'll even bring the brewskis!!  :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #10 on: 4 Jun 2015, 12:17 pm »
Heck yea, I'd love to hear Phil's rooms!  :thumb:

I got the "troll" phrase from a comment Pez made here:lol:

Bob

ajzepp

« Reply #11 on: 4 Jun 2015, 12:30 pm »
Heck yea, I'd love to hear Phil's rooms!  :thumb:

I got the "troll" phrase from a comment Pez made here:lol:

Bob

LOL that's hilarious

Rocket

« Reply #12 on: 4 Jun 2015, 01:05 pm »
Hi MCA,

If you don't want to spend a lot of money have you considered the Song Tower centre channel.  Only $799US and Jim is a master at matching colours. 

Cheers Rod

Mudslide

« Reply #13 on: 1 Jul 2015, 04:34 pm »
MCA,

My 2 cents.....

If $$ are a driving force and veneer matching isn't important, I've found no better center for the price than a 3-way JBL.  It will more closely match the efficiency of the DAs (which I find important in my application) than others mentioned.  It is rear ported for decent bass, if you have the rear space available.  I currently run a JBL EC35 with Philharmonic Audio Phil 2s.  Surprisingly, the dialog is the best I've heard from a center...and it's darn accurate and provides a much better HT experience for me than running a phantom center.  I have the same issue as you do with the phantom.  It will not give you that boxy sound or chesty voices.

The tweeter mismatch mine has with the Phil 2's RAAL is a (barely) noticeable area where the JBL doesn't keep up quite so elegantly.  (Dennis Murphy brilliantly upgraded the crossover on the unit for me, and it's pretty close right now.)  The other area of note is the difference in sensitivity between the mains and center.  But this is fairly easy to manage with a good pre or receiver.

Salk or Selah can put together a nice matching center if you wish to customize.  Otherwise their standard offerings are quality speakers.  And there's nothing wrong with the Ascend center.

Good luck on your search.