Pez and Tyson's Best of RMAF- the ultimate guide to awesomeness.

Pez

We completely missed the TAD room this year. When we tried to visit they were full to the brim. No way unfortunately. :(

jriggy

Re: Best of RMAF
« Reply #61 on: 18 Oct 2012, 08:35 pm »
Awesome job again this year guys! Even better really.

Do you find out/know anything about those diffusors in the Tri/Acoustic Zen room? Wondering who makes them... Might that be Nittobo Acoustic Engineering Co.? Never have I seen an approach like that.

Thanks

Jason

These are from AGS technology or  Acoustic Grove System (but some spellings come up under "Groove" also. I guess a subsidiary of Nittobo Acoustic Engineering... They are the SYLVAN and ANKH diffusors. Cost is high, ranging somewhere around $2700. USD  :o

Might be an eisier DIY diffusor than a QRD.

rbbert

We completely missed the TAD room this year. When we tried to visit they were full to the brim. No way unfortunately. :(

The main TAD room set up by Andrew Jones was playing their new $29k/pr speakers (no Be on the midrange) with TAD electronics.   It sounded good, but maybe not quite as good as a couple of other rooms with similarly priced speakers but much cheaper associated equipment (Rockport, Estelon, Verity).  JMO of course.

jhm731

"Andrew Jones intro’d his entry-to-the-TAD-system loudspeaker, the $29,800 Evolution One (powered and sourced by TAD electronics). Like the CR1 and the Reference One, the three-way E-One uses TAD’s coincident driver, a beryllium tweeter and (in this case) magnesium (rather than beryllium) midrange, with two slightly smaller (7”), less-all-out woofers made of Aramid fiber—all in a rounded-top, ported enclosure. On Boz Scaggs’ rendition of “My Funny Valentine” the smaller TADs had, as usual, very good low-level detail, excellent grip in the bass, and superior weight and transient response. Indeed, though a mite dark in balance (like all TADs), they were quite lovely and powerful on this cut and on Muddy Waters’ “Good Morning Little Schoolgirl.” But, like the Wilsons and the Serenities, they were ultimately prettier-sounding than they were realistic. Since realism improved on Bill Kenton’s version of “How Long Has This Been Going On?” it will clearly take more listening to reach a reasoned judgment." - J. Valin, TAS

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
I went by the TAD room early Fri when it was nearly empty.  Last year I thought it was the best room at the show.  This year it was another very good room among lots of very good rooms.  It had a bit of mid bass bloom that was almost certainly the room.  I went straight after spending time in the GR room to make a back to back comparison.   This year I thought that the Super 7 and associated gear was the better sound. 
By the way, if there was a better buy at the show than the Dodd preamp at $899, I didn't see it or hear it. Considering that the original version was all the rave at $3300 a few years ago, and the new version takes less tubes and less amps, it's a no brainer.

Scott

TomS

"... But, like the Wilsons and the Serenities, they (TAD E-1's) were ultimately prettier-sounding than they were realistic." J. Valin
I couldn't disagree more with this statement with regard to the TADs. I visited his room at least 3 times Saturday and it was very real to me. Maybe slightly bettered by the TAD CR-1's up in the Zesto room, but that was mostly vinyl.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
I couldn't disagree more with this statement with regard to the TADs. I visited his room at least 3 times Saturday and it was very real to me. Maybe slightly bettered by the TAD CR-1's up in the Zesto room, but that was mostly vinyl.
+1

jhm731

I think Mr. Valin was depressed because there were no Magico speakers at RMAF for him to praise.

TONEPUB

Ha!  I've been trying to get in the Magnepan room for 9 years now.  It's never happened!

I wish these guys weren't always so "absolute" about all of this.  It's a show...

I've heard TAD, Wilson, Magico, you name it all sound great and all sound marginal.

One of our reviewers, Jacob Heilbrunn, who also writes for TAS has a pair of Wilson XLF's
and they sound awesome in his room, with his gear. Same with the other three.

Just got the new Magicos in and they sound pretty impressive.  Yet different than Wilson
or TAD.

To me, it's like comparing a Lexus, BMW, Audi and Mercedes.  All somewhat different, all
excellent cars, yet each one appeals to a different person and the guy that loves Audi
doesn't much care for the other three and vice versa.

It's only hifi! 

:)

Rclark

But, like the Wilsons and the Serenities, they were ultimately prettier-sounding than they were realistic. Since realism improved on Bill Kenton’s version of “How Long Has This Been Going On?” it will clearly take more listening to reach a reasoned judgment." - J. Valin, TAS

..hmm

TomS

Ha!  I've been trying to get in the Magnepan room for 9 years now.  It's never happened!

I wish these guys weren't always so "absolute" about all of this.  It's a show...

I've heard TAD, Wilson, Magico, you name it all sound great and all sound marginal.

One of our reviewers, Jacob Heilbrunn, who also writes for TAS has a pair of Wilson XLF's
and they sound awesome in his room, with his gear. Same with the other three.

Just got the new Magicos in and they sound pretty impressive.  Yet different than Wilson
or TAD.

To me, it's like comparing a Lexus, BMW, Audi and Mercedes.  All somewhat different, all
excellent cars, yet each one appeals to a different person and the guy that loves Audi
doesn't much care for the other three and vice versa.

It's only hifi! 

:)
You're so right Jeff. I love my Audi but I'd have to trade it for the TADs :wink:

Rclark

I went by the TAD room early Fri when it was nearly empty.  Last year I thought it was the best room at the show.  This year it was another very good room among lots of very good rooms.  It had a bit of mid bass bloom that was almost certainly the room.  I went straight after spending time in the GR room to make a back to back comparison.   This year I thought that the Super 7 and associated gear was the better sound. 
By the way, if there was a better buy at the show than the Dodd preamp at $899, I didn't see it or hear it. Considering that the original version was all the rave at $3300 a few years ago, and the new version takes less tubes and less amps, it's a no brainer.

Scott

Dodd has a $900 preamp? Not a buffer or a kit? Is it worse than the $3300 model? That sounds interesting. I still want to do the Dspeaker next, but it might be fun to try a preamp in front of it later..

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
You're so right Jeff. I love my Audi but I'd have to trade it for the TADs :wink:
:lol:

I loved my 335 but would've traded it for TAD's too.  911, not so much.   :wink:

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
The $4500 Peachtree did a great job driving the big TADs. Unfortunately, they are worth 4 of my Subie WRXs.

I really liked these speakers, and they are capable of playing at crazy high SPLs too.

S Clark

Dodd has a $900 preamp? Not a buffer or a kit? Is it worse than the $3300 model? That sounds interesting. I still want to do the Dspeaker next, but it might be fun to try a preamp in front of it later..
I wouldn't absolutely bet the farm on it, but I'm pretty sure that I heard that right when I was talking to him.   Give him a call to make sure.

Rclark

It's not on the website. I won't bother him, he's busy enough. No hurry on that anyway. But, do you know if it also had variable gain like the one listed?

S Clark

It's not on the website. I won't bother him, he's busy enough. No hurry on that anyway. But, do you know if it also had variable gain like the one listed?
Now that I really couldn't say- I doubt it at that price.  I caught the price in an overheard conversation, thought to myself "Damn, I paid a lot more than that for mine" and moved on. Tell you what, since I started this, I'll call Gary tomorrow and find out if I had it right.  Then I'll get back to you.

Scott

Rclark

Thank you, because if I get the Dual Core and decide to add a nice pre to it, $900 is in my wheelhouse.

Rclark

and come to think of it the Dual Core has adjustable sensitivity anyway.

wisnon

and come to think of it the Dual Core has adjustable sensitivity anyway.

Yes, the DC has an ANALOGUE preamp built into it.