Interesting VMPS Images

John Casler

Interesting VMPS Images
« on: 14 Feb 2013, 11:40 pm »
Thought some might find a few of the VMPS pictures I have come across.

Below is what many call the "HIGH BOY" LARGER Sub, but in a horizontal orientation with a Horn employed on top.

Interesting?

rbbert

Re: Interesting VMPS Images
« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2013, 12:06 am »
And what does that horn do?

John Casler

« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2013, 12:13 am »
It would seem that it is for the Mids and Highs.

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 15 Feb 2013, 09:59 pm »

Very Cool VMPS RM30 and LARGER SUB system.

Rclark

« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2013, 10:52 pm »
I would do something drastic for a pair of those tall boy largers.

underdawg

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 2013, 11:24 pm »
glad to see some horns used for once even though I havent used horns since the eighties

John Casler

« Reply #6 on: 15 Feb 2013, 11:35 pm »
Oddly enough, Brian spoke to me many times about his HORN IDEAS. 

He enjoyed Paul Klipsch and thought he could build a better Horn than Paul.

He waxed eloquently on how he would take the HONK and HARSHNESS out of Horns whilst keeping the efficiency.

He had some patent ideas for Horns, but as we all know, only 24 hours in a day, and was already on a "ribbon/planar" path.

He had some other VERY WILD ideas about sound and forestry you wouldn't beleive. :o

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #7 on: 16 Feb 2013, 03:16 am »

The construction you see on those was the same on the Original Subwoofer, which had one 12" active and one down firing 15" passive.  When I started working for Brian in the 80s it was in the garage of the home he had with his first wife only a few blocks from his last home.  "Two guys in a garage" as Brian used to call us. 

The 3/4" horizontal edges of the top panels and base panels on those early woofer cabinets (look at the tall boy image) were bare.  We had melt-on rolls of 3/4" wide strips of real oak and walnut veneer.  We used a regular clothing iron and melt on the veneer strips, smelling up the garage with melted glue. 

You never knew if Brian was making stuff up or telling the truth.  His first wife used to come home after work, drive up, they'd kiss, they talked in German, she'd go in the house, we carry on, etc.

One time Brian, while soldering, breaks the silence and tells me his wife has absolutely no idea what Brian does for a living.  Of course I presume he exaggerates.   But he insists she has absolutely no idea, so I finally believe him. 

His first wife spoke at Brian's memorial, and she indeed seemed to have total knowledge of Brian's passion.  Brian got me again.  I'm no good at poker, as you can tell.   

PMAT

« Reply #8 on: 16 Feb 2013, 06:30 am »
What kind of drastic thing might you do? :eyebrows: :eyebrows: :eyebrows: :eyebrows: :eyebrows: :eyebrows:

Rclark

« Reply #9 on: 16 Feb 2013, 07:41 am »
Well do you think they'd list a kidney on audiogon?