List of recommended amps for Omegas

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: List of recommended amps for Omegas
« Reply #20 on: 22 Nov 2014, 11:25 pm »
the Crown XLS 1500  is 300 wpc ?  Isn't that a bit of overkill with Omegas ?  Would a Decware pre amp work with this amp assuming i am looking at the right one.

Yes, yes and yes.  :)

The Crown has gain controls so it's not a problem to use it with a active preamp, in fact it is probably best to do so. The amount of power on tap is overkill but the difference vs a ~5 wpc SET amp when playing at higher volumes makes the SET amp's limitations very obvious. The speakers (I have Super 3 XRS) can take way more power than what my EL34 SET is capable of.

seikosha

« Reply #21 on: 23 Nov 2014, 01:14 am »
Hi Dave,

The Crown sounds intriguing. Have you compared it with your EL34 using just the rs5 with no sub or are your comparisons using the amp along with a sub?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #22 on: 23 Nov 2014, 01:32 am »
I mostly leave the sub on all the time but did compare briefly with it off. The Crown can make the RS5 do things in the midbass department that a SET amp can only dream of. With my SET the RS5 is pretty amazing but with the Crown the disparity between size and output is about double. It controls the cone motion better so IMD (intermodulation distortion) doesn't happen until higher volumes, another plus. Also, the transients are less compressed, which points out where the SET is clipping. Honestly, where the Crown really shines is at higher volumes, a small SET just can't come close. I tried my SET on a friend's Lamhorns, which have drivers 102.5 dB before horn loading, and it did not have the same limitations as it does on my Super 3 XRS, but there is likely a 9-12 dB gap in sensitivity between the two.

The other thing is if you mainly listen to vocal, acoustic, folk, etc. at moderate volumes a SET will be a better choice, it has a better midrange and at lower volumes the differences in power don't matter as much so the SET has an advantage. It would be nice to be able to just flip a switch between the two depending on what you're listening to.

Good Times

« Reply #23 on: 24 Nov 2014, 01:42 am »
To the "cost no object" category I'd nominate three amplifiers:

1. Manley Labs Neo-Classic 300B monoblocks (switchable PSE/PP and variable NFB with switchable tap impedance)
2. Audion 845 Black Shadow monoblocks
3. Bakoon 12-R

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #24 on: 24 Nov 2014, 05:28 pm »
Eddy Vaughn Carina. 
Sadly no longer in production, but sometimes available used.  I was communicating with Eddy about bringing them in when not long after that he informed me he was shutting down production.  Audio's loss IMO.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #25 on: 24 Nov 2014, 05:39 pm »
Here's another one that looks like it has serious Omega potential.  Sony UDA1 20w/ch class A/B with onboard DAC.  $800 in the US, $700 in Canada.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #26 on: 24 Nov 2014, 05:58 pm »
The new Sony gear is really good, good find!

I have the Sony HAP-Z1ES music server and it made a MASSSIVE improvement over my Schiit Bifrost... got my system much closer to perfection! Sony has a matching amp that sounds great, but it's $2k for the server and $2k for the amp, so a bit pricier.

Jazzaudio

« Reply #27 on: 25 Nov 2014, 05:08 pm »

I'll confirm the Crown XLS-1500 I purchased used to drive a subwoofer.  I made the mistake of using it to drive Omega Super 3S while sorting out subwoofer issues.  Completely stock....its sound is mindboggling for the price (I paid $200 for a 3 month old used unit.  New prices online average about $299).  Using the gain controls to control my tube output CDP, the Crown completely grips the Omegas, and sounds better than some tube amps I've owned/listened to in the past (as a combination).  Smooth, no harshness, great sense of ease, detailed, powerful bass, great tone...and images better than my modified Jolida 1701BRC Hybrid Integrated Amp and is more holographic.  Over the next few weeks I'll have my standard mods done that I now swear by for removing veils without changing tone: Furutech RCA inputs and IEC inlet, and Pomona 3770 Copper binding posts (less than $150.00 in parts).   

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #28 on: 25 Nov 2014, 05:44 pm »
I have a Crown XLS1500 I purchased used to drive a subwoofer.  I made the mistake of using it to drive Omega Super 3S while sorting out subwoofer issues.  Completely stock....its sound is mindboggling for the price (I paid $200 for a 3 month old used unit.  New prices online average about $299).  Using the gain controls to control my tube output CDP, the Crown completely grips the Omegas, and sounds better than some tube amps I've owned/listened to in the past (as a combination).  Smooth, no harshness, great sense of ease, detailed, powerful bass, great tone...and images better than my modified Jolida 1701BRC Hybrid Integrated Amp and is more holographic.  Over the next few weeks I'll have my standard mods done that I now swear by for removing veils without changing tone: Furutech RCA inputs and IEC inlet, and Pomona 3770 Copper binding posts (less than $150.00 in parts).   

Agreed! I can get you a 20% break on the Furutech stuff, I'd go 901(R) and FI-09(R) for the RCAs and IEC, I also use the Pomona posts... they are good for the money but not the best grip on spades. The Crown has all PCB mount connectors so it won't be as easy as it is with most components. Be careful to keep the wires you will need to add as short as possible. Those steel AC push connectors could be replaced too.

The "grip" on the drivers is something else in the bass frequencies, it makes those RS5s do things I never thought possible!

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #29 on: 25 Nov 2014, 06:00 pm »
I hope this is all right to ask in this thread:
Can anyone tell me how crazy I would be to pair an RS5-based Omega with a little T-amp? I read that John Darko seemed to have reasonable luck with Hoyt-Bedfords... I've ordered the 3XRS and I plan to power them with a Topping TP20 (a TA2020 based unit with some "audiophile" components which is very favourably reviewed across the web). I've got a very good DAC and a solid state preamp (with a remote!) that I plan to use as well.

If none of you folks has any opinions I'll still post in a few weeks here or in a separate thread with my listening impressions--as valid as they will be coming from someone who hasn't heard any other Omega speakers or tried any other amps.

Thanks for furthering our collective knowledge, everyone.
Hello McNubbins,

Welcome to the Omega AudioCircle.  Sorry for not responding to your post - I somehow missed it.  Your Topping TP20 will work well with the Super 3XRS. 

I have had great success running the 22w/ch Audio Engine N22 with the Super 3i and Super 3T.  Also, the now discontinued 8w/ch Firestone Big Joe V1.3 ran the Hoyt-Bedford Type 1 with ease.  Both are class A/B chip amps.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #30 on: 25 Nov 2014, 06:15 pm »
Bottlehead SET amps:
Paramount 300B/2A3 and BeePre preamp, Stereomour 2A3/45, Seductor EL84 and Smash preamp (new), and Single Ended Experimentors kit 6DN7.  If you are into building, these amplifiers will put you into a higher level of gear than you would ever get at these price points for built gear.  If you are not into building, there is a building service for these amps. 

Jazzaudio

« Reply #31 on: 25 Nov 2014, 10:36 pm »
Dave,
On my two Jolida components I've used the FT903R RCA inputs,  and FI-03 IEC inlets (since they both have integrated fuse holders and I wanted simplicity).  The connectors were replaced on the CDP first, about two months apart to verify which one affected the sound.  The integrated amp was next, and I replaced the RCA inputs and IEC at the same time (since I knew how they changed the sound), then replaced the binding posts with the Pomona's about three months after that.  If I were an audio guru I'd mandate replacement of stock connectors as the first change on any lower-priced (relatively) component. 

Furutech just released the FI-06 copper (not brass) IEC inlet, which I am ordering in addition to the set Pomona binding posts. About $75 combined (excluding shipping)  I'll hold off on the RCA's for now, but will probably go with 903s again for cost.

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #32 on: 25 Nov 2014, 11:58 pm »
the crown class-d amps series are ideal for driving the omegas fully... :green:

jorgen

« Reply #33 on: 26 Nov 2014, 12:54 pm »
Hi all
 I'm thinking about trying Transcendense SOB and Masterpiece pre-amp combo. Less than 2000 USD, OTL a nice (?) Headphone amp buildt into the pre:amp and also a nice project over the winter. Anyone here familiar with those?

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #34 on: 26 Nov 2014, 06:25 pm »
Hi all
 I'm thinking about trying Transcendense SOB and Masterpiece pre-amp combo. Less than 2000 USD, OTL a nice (?) Headphone amp buildt into the pre:amp and also a nice project over the winter. Anyone here familiar with those?
Looks like Transcendent Sound has some very nice (and affordable) offerings.  What makes me nervous is the latest website copyright date I found was 2011.  It would be a good idea to contact them and do some research about them on the web before ordering.

beowulf

« Reply #35 on: 26 Nov 2014, 08:33 pm »
Another great little amp is the Rega Brio-R (class A/B) and very musical for solid state design.  Also very inexpensive for what you get including a really good phono stage, 50 watts into 8 ohms, 5 inputs and handmade in the UK ... all for under $1000 new and about $600 used.

Audiophile58

« Reply #36 on: 26 Nov 2014, 08:44 pm »
I am using The Red Wine Audio Signature 15 integrated amp,which is AC and full DC battery power 30 wpc into 4 ohms is excellent with my omega Outlaw 1.5 open baffle speakers. When I can afford it Vinnies new
Dc Capacitor banks in his new flagship is very special technologies in the $3500'range it is something I will need to plan for. At the moment though I could upgrade to the latest 16 model for under a $1k .
The 15 sounds excellent though and just one Vacuum tube in pure class A for the preamp does the trick
A 1958 Amperex 6922 D getter from Holland.

Brad

« Reply #37 on: 26 Nov 2014, 09:07 pm »
Looks like Transcendent Sound has some very nice (and affordable) offerings.  What makes me nervous is the latest website copyright date I found was 2011.  It would be a good idea to contact them and do some research about them on the web before ordering.

Bruce with Transcendent has put out new products every year for the last several.
I wouldn't worry about buying from him.
Great support too.

yyz67

« Reply #38 on: 27 Nov 2014, 04:20 am »
Thanks all for the great ideas, especially reasonably affordable ones!

I'm currently using a NAD 390DD (direct digital DAC/amp) and a NAD T775 AVR, but I haven't heard anyone here using NAD gear.

I have a Super 3U ordered, which will hopefully come before Santa.  But I might get a Crown anyway as I need a power amp for my guitar rig, and I can see how it does with my current speakers .... and then the Omegas.

yyz67

« Reply #39 on: 28 Nov 2014, 04:42 pm »
Has any directly compared Dennis Had's SETs to the Decware SETs/SEPs?

Does Dennis have an integrated like Rachael?