Biasing with 86db vs 96db speakers?

tripwr1964

Biasing with 86db vs 96db speakers?
« on: 11 Jan 2017, 06:30 pm »
which way should i be going on the bias setting for a higher efficient speaker?

think i am at 21-22mV with my 86db maggie mg1.6's and they sound great.

i have a set of decware dm947 96db folded horns that sound like crap.

i am thinking "bias, bias, bias"  thoughts?

germay0653

Re: Biasing with 86db vs 96db speakers?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2017, 03:51 am »
Define "crap"!  Sterile, strident or lush and syrupy?

Folsom

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jan 2017, 04:44 am »
.... that's not what bias is really for...

You can make the amp run hotter which maybe makes it sound better, so biasing higher may sound better on higher efficiency speakers. But that has limits within the design, and a few mv won't do much.

But for many amps biasing can be related to DC output, so there's only one correct answer. I don't know on these specifically, I just know you're probably searching in the wrong place.

tripwr1964

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2017, 07:50 pm »
Quote from: germay06vident or lush and syrupy?
[/quote

germay, very harsh.  ears are fatigued before i can finish a beer.

tripwr1964

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jan 2017, 07:53 pm »
.... that's not what bias is really for...

You can make the amp run hotter which maybe makes it sound better, so biasing higher may sound better on higher efficiency speakers. But that has limits within the design, and a few mv won't do much.

But for many amps biasing can be related to DC output, so there's only one correct answer. I don't know on these specifically, I just know you're probably searching in the wrong place.

folsom, understand what you're saying... may be out of luck with this combo.  thks

undertow

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jan 2017, 09:15 pm »
I can say specifically when I had odyssey amps adjusting bias did help, but will not necessarily make them get away from the forward sound they present. Maggies will be far less efficient hence "Less exposure" to the tonal, and noise tendencies of the whole system.

With 96 db you start to expose quite a bit more underlying system balance.

In the end the big transformers, and extra watts behind your amps might be better suited to panels vs. high efficiency dynamic drive speakers.

The average efficiency of speakers out there seems to range from about 87 db to 92 db, and when running speakers like this on the Odysseys they were okay, but did "Warm" up the sound a bit when Biasing to the HIGH side. More current generally will fill a speaker out a bit more especially in the Mid-bass, lower midrange. Maggies don't move much air, or create subwoofer like bass in the first place so it's less an issue, and its more about the fact Odyssey can drive lower impedance on the curve with a panel.

Ultimately though I don't think this small adjustment will be better suited to high efficiency speakers, and honestly better off staying away from this version amplifier in this combo.

Side Note: I did run some friends Klipsch 99 db on the Odysseys for a while at the time, as well as Zu Audio Definitions @ 101 db. They both were way too hyper in these combos, you may need smoother more forgiving amps than Odyssey provides... Sorry just a fact.

OzarkTom

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jan 2017, 10:33 pm »
which way should i be going on the bias setting for a higher efficient speaker?

think i am at 21-22mV with my 86db maggie mg1.6's and they sound great.

i have a set of decware dm947 96db folded horns that sound like crap.

i am thinking "bias, bias, bias"  thoughts?

How many hours do you have on them? Decware DNA horns took over 400 hours to break in.

JoshK

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jan 2017, 11:30 pm »
Hint: It's not the amp that sounds like crap.

tripwr1964

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jan 2017, 12:06 am »
How many hours do you have on them? Decware DNA horns took over 400 hours to break in.

ozarktom
not sure i bought them used and they are couple years old, assuming they have hours on them.

another note these do not have any xo.  they are feed a direct signal from amp to driver.

i don't think this combo is going to even get into the ball park no matter what.

thks guys!