Liquids..regular walnut

klaus@odyssey

Liquids..regular walnut
« on: 22 Nov 2016, 01:11 am »
Just shipped out this pair to NYC....Ungkun wanted a regular walnut to go with his decor.....

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Liquids..regular walnut
« Reply #1 on: 22 Nov 2016, 01:18 am »
That's what I call near-field listening.   :kiss:

reillyzing

« Reply #2 on: 22 Nov 2016, 01:24 am »
Klaus, what's the minimum sized room you'd recommend for the Liquids?

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #3 on: 22 Nov 2016, 02:16 am »
Not so much about the actual room size but more about the listening distance / triangle size.....In my room I'm sitting appr. 110" away from the speakers in a 10 - 15 % nearfield setup...that works unbelievably well,  but also keep in mind that I have the suckers 5 ' off the rear wall,  and have 15 ' cathedral ceilings....the minimum I'd work with as I've done in hotel rooms at shows would be 3' off the rear wall,  and 75" to the tweeters while tweeter to tweeter of the speakers should then be appr. 82 - 85" apart.....that would be an ideal minimum setup...also,  make sure that you're not sitting right in front of the back wall...with this nearfield setup on these Scanspeak drivers you don't have to worry so much about room irregularities either...it just works  !!!!

If you don't have that space, then I'd go with the Kismets,  as their bass doesn't need the extra room to "breathe"....but if you do,  then get ready for an unreal threedimensional experience...man,  I love those Berylliums

cementhead

« Reply #4 on: 22 Nov 2016, 09:56 pm »
Sweet looking! and someone did some very nice concrete work there, Klaus. Still waiting on reviews from people who had the Kismets and upgraded.

AlTran

« Reply #5 on: 22 Nov 2016, 10:05 pm »
Cementhead,

I have both pairs in my room to do A B comparison. My room is 22x22x9. The Kismets is great & filled up my room with ease, the Liquids give you the extra punch. It all depends on the size of your room and budget. You can't go wrong with either one. Honestly both of them are very close & similar. I would take either pair any day. Oh well, I take anything that Klaus sent my way.   

AlTran

« Reply #6 on: 22 Nov 2016, 10:39 pm »
also, I would prefer the Liquids at the end of the day. Especially night time, when I have the volume at minimal level and still getting that dynamic is something I can't really ask for from this baby.

stereomeditation

« Reply #7 on: 28 Nov 2016, 01:46 am »
Sweet looking! and someone did some very nice concrete work there, Klaus. Still waiting on reviews from people who had the Kismets and upgraded.

I owned the Kismets for about 18 months and then upgraded the Liquids about one year ago.

I loved the Kismets, but the Liquids are in another class.   My Kismets were in a small room, a closed box with one door.  The Kismets were good in that room, but I had to move my Liquids into a bigger room and they sound incredible.  They need a bit more room to breath.  The bass and the mids are a definite step up from the Kismets.

I have been meaning to post for a while now ... Klaus (and his lovely wife Irina) delivered the Liquids to my house and helped me set them up.  What a treat that was :-)

Cheers,
Randy

My System, FYI:

Candela Pre-amp
Kismet monos
Symphonic Line Reference CD Player (MK3).  I had an Oppo 105 in my system for a while. 

AlTran

« Reply #8 on: 28 Nov 2016, 06:52 am »
Randy,
Please post a pic of your setup with the liquids. I have the exact same equipments as yours. My setup is in the garage.
Al

cementhead

« Reply #9 on: 30 Nov 2016, 07:54 pm »
Al, I have the kismets, but am looking for more bottom end. I might look into subs or these, as I love the sound of them. Subs or liquids... :cuss: :dunno:

JackD

« Reply #10 on: 1 Dec 2016, 03:15 am »
If you already have the Kismet monitors set up in the room it might be easier to look into a pair of Rel T-7 or T-9 subs.  If you can still find a pair of last years non "i" models should be had at a healthy discount. 

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #11 on: 1 Dec 2016, 06:41 am »
nope...Liquids all the way,  because of the integration of the lower frequencies within the design...plus, same identical drivers.....do NOT  use a sub whatsoever, as you'll definitely mess with tonalities here....this is the whole reason why I designed the Liquids,  to keep all of the Kismets strengths and then expand on them....

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: 1 Dec 2016, 02:47 pm »
nope...Liquids all the way,  because of the integration of the lower frequencies within the design...plus, same identical drivers.....do NOT  use a sub whatsoever, as you'll definitely mess with tonalities here....this is the whole reason why I designed the Liquids,  to keep all of the Kismets strengths and then expand on them....
Done right subs don't mess anything up though...they actually add! 

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #13 on: 1 Dec 2016, 11:17 pm »
Yes, of course you are correct...but, "if done right" is the focus here...with the extra bass inside the design you already have it done right in the first place...and yes, I have heard many systems where the subs were well integrated,  but also many more where it was a mess....