Cutting the Cable Cord

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Cutting the Cable Cord
« Reply #140 on: 22 Oct 2014, 10:23 pm »
DSL really? Who has DSL these days.
That's a really ignorant question. In fact, there are quite a few households that lie just outside of the "perfect radius" the communications companies have drawn on their maps. It was within the past two years that I got was able to escape the dreaded clutches of DSL. A couple years before that, I had dial-up. At that same time, my Mother in Law had AT&T U-Verse, and we're about 35 minutes drive time from each other. Yes, I was in the dark ages listening to my modem dialing while entitled people like you had 30Meg and thought it was common place.
So just because you think that you're in a privileged place, doesn't mean the rest of the First World Country is in the same 'place'.  :roll:

Rural Bob

EDIT: Oh....and being at the dead end of a gravel road in the outskirts of what any communications company called their "acceptable" covered area, my neighbor and I shared the just under $1,500 fee to have the service brought the distance of the three utility poles.
So you ask who still has DSL? Ha.... the mere asking of the question pisses me off.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #141 on: 23 Oct 2014, 12:03 am »
I'm well aware of the Good User Experience shakedown ramping up. Are you aware that similar forms of Payola currently exist between some "cable" channels and cable companies? It takes many forms, and is hidden under many rocks: Ad Dollars, Spiffs, Positioning Fees, etc.

The point I've been trying to make is that the Payola has happened, the Payola is happening, and the Payola will continue to happen. HBO going "direct" with the viewer across multiple forms of data pipe will end some forms of Payola aimed at them (HBO), and create new ones.

Bottom line, this is a meaningful beginning for al la carte pricing, which Cable Vermin (and later, Satellite Vermin) continue lie about both in terms of technical feasibility (very easy) and how much it is desired by viewers (viewers have been overwhelmingly in favor of it for decades).

Thankfully, Bob has already & adequately addressed your DSL comment (Thanks, Bob!). Chow Time (and The Middle).

Google Netflix pays Comcast or Netflix pays Verizon. Netflix is paying Comcast and Verizon to 'guarantee' a good user experience. Don't you think that HBO and CBS will wind up doing the same thing?

The cell companies will love it because they either get paid by the gig or performance slows after so many gig. So if you are streaming these channels you'll wind up paying more on your monthly bill or wanting to up the full speed portion of your unlimited contract.

Home phone company. DSL really? Who has DSL these days.

Doublej

« Reply #142 on: 23 Oct 2014, 12:28 am »
I'm done conversing with you Luddites on the topic of internet access. If you'd like to continue the conversation, send me smoke signals or call me with your 2G cell phone if you have one.  :lol:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #143 on: 23 Oct 2014, 01:23 am »
I'm done conversing with you Luddites on the topic of internet access. If you'd like to continue the conversation, send me smoke signals or call me with your 2G cell phone if you have one.  :lol:

Lud·dite
ˈlədˌīt/
:a person opposed to increased industrialization or new technology.  opposing many forms of modern technology/{/quote}

Nothing any of us said had anything to do with the definition of luddite. In some cases we're talking about not having access to certain technologies, and in some cases not wanting to be overcharged for access to TV/phone/internet. In seven pages, to date, the civilized conversation has been focused on getting fair service for a fair price. If you don't feel like you're able to be a constructive part of this conversation, then so be it, and I'm happy you're leaving the thread.

Bob

p.s. Mike, you're very welcome.

youravhandyman

« Reply #144 on: 23 Oct 2014, 01:52 pm »
DSL RULES!!!

Debating me on that topic should be for another thread.

DISCLAIMER:  DSL pays my bills...

lokie

« Reply #145 on: 23 Oct 2014, 02:16 pm »
OK, lets get back to helping each other, and not arguing. :nono:

I am hit or miss when it comes to ESPN. Sometimes I watch a game on their website and sometimes I cant. Sometimes it will block me but if I circle around on their website, and then come back to the particular game, I can get access. Anybody else w the same experience?

To get access, ESPN (among other major channels) wants to know what carrier I use. Is there a cheap carrier I can use as a proxy that will suffice for their requirements? Or any other work arounds?

Anybody watching the World Series? And How?

Phil A

« Reply #146 on: 23 Oct 2014, 02:23 pm »

I am hit or miss when it comes to ESPN. Sometimes I watch a game on their website and sometimes I cant. Sometimes it will block me but if I circle around on their website, and then come back to the particular game, I can get access. Anybody else w the same experience?

To get access, ESPN (among other major channels) wants to know what carrier I use. Is there a cheap carrier I can use as a proxy that will suffice for their requirements? Or any other work arounds?

Not watching it but if I wanted it I'd look into this to add to my Roku - http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/index.jsp?product=roku

Unfortunately my cable company (which I only use for internet) blocks out even ESPN3.  My old cable company (I moved the end of last year) allowed it (just had high speed internet) and I used to watch things on ESPN3.  My new cable is really terrible.  I hope that more companies follow the HBO lead (and I do realize it may cause my internet bill to go up but that is OK as it is better that customers have real choices to get programs they want vs. pay for things they don't)

Mike Nomad

« Reply #147 on: 24 Oct 2014, 02:56 pm »
They are trying to enforce blackout restrictions in a very porous environment.

For a work around, you could try using Tor/Onion routing, with a capable browser. It's free (as in beer).

lokie

« Reply #148 on: 24 Oct 2014, 03:45 pm »
Not watching it but if I wanted it I'd look into this to add to my Roku - http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/index.jsp?product=roku

Another reason to get a Roku.

For a work around, you could try using Tor/Onion routing, with a capable browser.

Haven't had much luck w Proxy type browsing but I'll give it a try.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #149 on: 24 Oct 2014, 04:15 pm »
I just bought This indoor HD antenna.
Like I've said, due to my terrain, I have little hope of getting much. Ideally, I'd like to get local channels and that's it. Internet based sites will provide the rest of my content, Amazon, Netflix, AppleTV, Roku etc..etc..

The item is due Tuesday, I'll letcha know.  :D
Bob

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #150 on: 24 Oct 2014, 06:17 pm »
Bob - I tried the Mohu Leaf and their powered outdoor antenna. Both were barely useful where I live. That means not much hope for you as you described your location.

After a month of farting around, I finally bought a $59 antenna from an outfit in Michigan and it has worked quite well.

Keep in mind that altitude can help an antenna reach across more terrain. See if you can explore the possibility of mounting it on a mast in your backyard. It seems to me the site I went to wanted my planned antenna elevation as part of calculating what to recommend.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #151 on: 24 Oct 2014, 06:26 pm »
Indeed.  :|
My back yard is solid bedrock after about 3" of soil. So any antenna will have to be chimney mounted, which requires more wire fishing than I'd like to do. So.....I'm trying the indoor first. Since I'm Amazon Prime, I can return it without penalty.
But yea, I have little hope for success, but the attempt is easy and free.

Bob

*Scotty*

« Reply #152 on: 24 Oct 2014, 06:46 pm »
If you have good solid bedrock that is not heavily weathered or fractured you can rent a hammer drill and install a mast with expansion bolts right into the bedrock.  :D
Scotty

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #153 on: 24 Oct 2014, 07:02 pm »
That's a good point, thank you!

lokie

« Reply #154 on: 27 Oct 2014, 03:27 pm »
Saw this today (10-27-14).

lokie

« Reply #155 on: 27 Oct 2014, 03:31 pm »

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #156 on: 28 Oct 2014, 12:13 am »
Lokie, Thanks for the heads-up.  :thumb:
I bought one. Unfortunately, it'll be a month or more before they ship them. This sale price is a pre-order only.
But I'll certainly let you know my impressions. It will be going in the room of my young daughter, so the majority of you won't be interested in the content it's capable of streaming.

Bob - Slowly cutting the cord. One strand at a time.

Early B.

« Reply #158 on: 28 Oct 2014, 10:05 pm »
On point.

http://www.businessweek.com/videos/2014-10-23/think-cutting-the-cord-will-set-you-free-not-so-fast

Well, the guy has a good point. But what he's not saying is that if you have high speed Internet and cable TV, you're paying for the same thing twice to the same company. However, if you "cut the cord" i.e., eliminate cable TV, then you're only paying for Internet service which will allow you to stream TV/movies through it without any significant additional cost. 

srb

« Reply #159 on: 28 Oct 2014, 10:24 pm »
However, if you "cut the cord" i.e., eliminate cable TV, then you're only paying for Internet service which will allow you to stream TV/movies through it without any significant additional cost.

For now, perhaps.

Many cable Internet providers have bandwidth limits of so many gigabytes per month and it varies depending on the service level tier (essential, preferred, premier, ultimate, etc.).  While the trend has been to provide faster download and upload speeds (Mb/s) for the same money, the trend has also been to limit and decrease total monthly bandwidth for the same money.

With the rising trend of higher resolution video with less compression, some people will find that their Internet TV usage can outpace their monthly allotment.  Unfortunately, the cable companies are feeling the impact of Netflix and other Internet video content providers and will make adjustments to keep a bigger slice of the pie.

Steve