SOLD 6s45P-e Hand Built Paralleled Single End Amp - $600

tlarwa

Price drop ... components are worth this much!  Or will trade for a decent 2nd turntable.

Up for sale is my hand-built, point-to-point wired, parallel single-end 6s45P-e amplifier.  This amp was built by my audiophile friend and master craftsman in Michigan, who did all of the metal fabrication, woodwork and wiring.  The amp utilizes a 5ar4 (slow ramp up) rectifier tube.  It also uses a two-choke power supply with all metal used poly caps, and an oil-filled Obbligato cap for the first filter (for good dampening).  The amp incorporates all Japanese Shinkoh 1% tantalum signal resistors, all Elna Silmicll silk-fiber cathode caps and premium 1% 5w Mills wire-wound cathode resistors.  The OPT's are over-sized premium 20 watt by Transcendar.  The amp utilizes cathode-biasing so no re-biasing is needed after replacing tubes.  Also included in the design is a built-in AC line-filter to tame any possible EMI or RFI.  Finally, the chassis utilizes 1/8" aluminum top and bottom plates and a figured sycamore plinth.  Oh yeah, and all the binding posts and RCA's are by Cardas.  For fun, each channel incorporates a magic-eye tube, with level adjustment, to add a little visual bling to the sonic bliss!

The amp is very "crystalline" sounding.  I used it with my 95dB Mark Audio 12p-based Super Pensils with great success.  It easily filled my 12'x17' listening room with all the volume I needed!  That said, if you're looking to drive your 88dB Polks to ear splitting levels, it's probably not the amp for you!  But if you're after crystal clear, involving sound through your full-range or high efficiency speakers (Klipschorns or LaScalas, anyone?), this could be just the ticket.

I will include all power, rectifier and magic eye tubes, plus some spares I have that are intended for this amp.  I can also include a decent, generic power cord if needed.  The amp weighs about 50 pounds, so I'd rather a local pick-up or delivery if possible (I'm in SE WI).  That said, I can ship if necessary, and will charge actual shipping costs.  Please add 3% to cover PP fees.

« Last Edit: 7 Feb 2016, 03:36 pm by tlarwa »

ccklone

• The Only Good Head is a Deadhead
Re: 6s45P-e Hand Built Paralleled Single End Amp
« Reply #1 on: 1 Dec 2015, 03:58 am »
$$$? or $$$$?

tlarwa

Re: 6s45P-e Hand Built Paralleled Single End Amp - $800
« Reply #2 on: 1 Dec 2015, 04:22 am »
Fixed

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 1 Dec 2015, 11:19 am »
Nice amp, order a tube amp to a reliable builder
is the way to go, buying a ready amp in a shop
always will result in overprice and cheap parts.

tlarwa

« Reply #4 on: 1 Dec 2015, 01:12 pm »
Nice amp, order a tube amp to a reliable builder
is the way to go, buying a ready amp in a shop
always will result in overprice and cheap parts.

Thanks.  You won't get this build quality from China or a kit, typically.  This is a keeper, given the right set-up.  It'll be tough to let this one go.

tlarwa

Re: 6s45P-e Hand Built Paralleled Single End Amp - $750 obo
« Reply #5 on: 5 Dec 2015, 11:48 pm »
Price drop to $750 obo.  I'd really like to move this fine piece to free up some cash for an alternative amp purchase.  I'd also consider trades/partial trades for a more powerful SET, either tubed or solid state.

jackthecat121

« Reply #6 on: 6 Dec 2015, 11:11 am »
Was this built by Scott Gerus?

tlarwa

« Reply #7 on: 6 Dec 2015, 03:57 pm »
No, a gentleman named Jimmy in Whitehall, MI.  He does tremendous work.

rodge827

« Reply #8 on: 7 Dec 2015, 11:35 am »
tlarwa,

Sweet build!

You said the sound is "crystalline" I'm assuming that the mids and highs are very revealing? Bass?

What is the wpc?

Asking for a friend.

Chris

tlarwa

« Reply #9 on: 7 Dec 2015, 12:43 pm »
tlarwa,

Sweet build!

You said the sound is "crystalline" I'm assuming that the mids and highs are very revealing? Bass?

What is the wpc?

Asking for a friend.

Chris

Chris,

Exactly.  This amp is best suited to jazz, vocals, etc.  It'll definitely support a bass line, but that's not its strength.  I used it primarily with my Super Pensils to listen to jazz and other genres outside of classic rock.  With my Super Pemsils I was never left wanting for more bass, as long as I wasn't trying to crank "The Wall" or something.  Everything is nice and tight.  The builder listens to a lot of vocalists (Melody Gardot, Norah Jones, etc.) and designed it to really shine with this type of music.  I found it especially good with acoustic jazz ensembles as well.  I'm sure the speakers make a difference too, as I was able to push my Klipsch Forte II's easily,  the amp is about 2 watts.  But they're both terrific watts!

Tom

rodge827

« Reply #10 on: 7 Dec 2015, 12:55 pm »
Tom,

Thanks for the reply. I think my friend is looking for more wattage, about 8 or so.
If I had the need I would be all over this amp. I hope you sell it soon to a deserving audiophile.

Chris

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #11 on: 7 Dec 2015, 02:10 pm »
What is the wpc?
Watts per channel.

tlarwa

Bump for price drop, or a trade for a decent 2nd turntable.  Let me know what you have!

tlarwa

Bumping this one ... this amp needs a home!  If you're looking for a really solidly built and extremely quiet and resolving amp for your high efficiency speakers, this is the one.  I am open to both cash and trade offers.  Give me a try, you never know, as I'm in the "lets try something new phase" of winter. 

tlarwa

SOLD