Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

Tezza009

Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #1320 on: 28 Nov 2015, 11:16 am »
I have just upgraded to MM and the latest firmware on my BDP-1 - all good. My HiRez ALAC files now play fine for the first time.

TIDAL is very slow to the point of being unuseable - is this the experience of others?

Also, is there an easy way to search for radio stations on bRadio - I am looking for Radio Paradise and cannot find it.

Thanks

BSMSPEMBA

« Reply #1321 on: 28 Nov 2015, 06:12 pm »
Chris,

I just loaded the latest firmware, S2.20 2015-11-20, onto my BDP-2.  There appears to be a couple of issues with this release.
  • When I go to Disk Information, it does not list my internal 256GB SSD.  It used to list it in the last stable release.  I am able to access the drive in the MPD player and play files off of it.
  • When I go to Update Firmware, it only shows, "Loading..."  It does not matter how long I wait.  It does not show the latest available firmware for updating.
Also, I have a question about the new volume control feature.
  • The pulldown menu shows None, Software, and SP3 (my BDP-2 is connected to an SP3 via AES).  What does the SP3 option do?
Thank you

Update:  It turns out that the issues I listed are due to using Safari as the browser.  When I switched to Chrome, it worked well.  The more I tried to use Safari, the more I realized that it is not functioning correctly.  For example, on the Dashboard, it shows, Found SP3.  However, the button is unresponsive and it is missing the logo of the SP3 that appears when I use Chrome.

I hope you find this feedback helpful.  Also, when you have a moment, I am interested in what the SP3 volume control is for.

Thank you

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1322 on: 30 Nov 2015, 04:46 pm »
Are you using safari on a Mac or PC?

It allows you to control the pre-amp section of the sp3 from the media player app.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1323 on: 30 Nov 2015, 05:04 pm »
I have just upgraded to MM and the latest firmware on my BDP-1 - all good. My HiRez ALAC files now play fine for the first time.

TIDAL is very slow to the point of being unuseable - is this the experience of others?

Also, is there an easy way to search for radio stations on bRadio - I am looking for Radio Paradise and cannot find it.

Thanks

I find it to be pretty snappy, but yes it is slower in the BDP-1 and the BDP-1 won't reliably play lossless.  The BDP-1 was never really designed with streaming in mind, we include it simply because we didn't want BDP-1 customers feeling like they were left out and forced to upgrade to BDP-2's.  We have taken the time to make some additional efforts to make playback more reliable with the BDP-1.  About the only thing I could suggest, if you are going to use a BDP-1 and tidal is to reboot the unit before listening.

Cheers
Chris

BSMSPEMBA

« Reply #1324 on: 30 Nov 2015, 07:46 pm »
Are you using safari on a Mac or PC?

Latest version of Safari on Mac

It allows you to control the pre-amp section of the sp3 from the media player app.

For my clarification, the SP3 volume control leaves the output "normal" on the BDP-2 and sends a remote signal via the network connection to the SP3 to adjust the volume using the SP3's analogue section (i.e., no digital volume control is being used), correct?

Thanks

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1325 on: 1 Dec 2015, 12:01 am »

For my clarification, the SP3 volume control leaves the output "normal" on the BDP-2 and sends a remote signal via the network connection to the SP3 to adjust the volume using the SP3's analogue section (i.e., no digital volume control is being used), correct?

Correct

Tezza009

« Reply #1326 on: 1 Dec 2015, 10:00 am »
Thanks Chris

Any suggestions on how to find radio stations (e.g. radio paradise) easily in bRadio?

Pearlcfam

« Reply #1327 on: 1 Dec 2015, 07:39 pm »
H, if you click or press the down arrow next to genre select a genre and then next to that dialog there is another down arrow for sub genre make a selection there and then a list should populate below from there I usually just scan for the highest bitrates or most listeners

hipp

« Reply #1328 on: 2 Dec 2015, 03:56 am »
I have used the BDP-1 right from  inception, then the BDP-2 and now added the soundcard. I find the BDP-2 to be an an outstanding product, particularly with the newer soundcard.
The integration of TIDAL is excellent and sounds amazing using the Bryston BDP-2 to stream the tracks.

However why oh why is Bryston not offering a state of the art app, instead of continuing with the browser based MM?
Mpad is very easy to use but when I see what is available from other product suppliers I wonder why Bryston is not developing or has not yet developed a user friendly app for ios and android.
The BDP-1 was a trendsetter, a streaming device ahead of the pack when it was released, and although the sound quality and general product quality of the  BDP-2 is still a quality trendsetter, the app type user interface is sorely lacking.
Is there something to look forward to in the NEAR future?

Hopeful

Tezza009

« Reply #1329 on: 2 Dec 2015, 11:46 am »
Perhaps pay a few bucks to the developers of mPad to produce a "bryston" version

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1330 on: 2 Dec 2015, 12:05 pm »
Hi hipp

Than you for your kind comments on the quality of sound with the BDP products - that was my my goal with this product and admittedly the original idea and feature set has exploded way beyond my original intentions.

The problem with APPS is you now have to develop an app for all possible devices (MAC and Android - tablets and smart phones - computers etc.) whereas 'Web Socket' based technology just requires access to a browser to work - at no cost to our customer for a specialized app.

Initially 'Web Sockets' being a new technology was slow and clunky but that is changing rapidly - just try Manic Moose with the new IPAD or IPHONE 6 and you will see it is lighting fast.

Hope this helps explain our position and i am sure Chris will add his thoughts as well.

james

Tezza009

« Reply #1331 on: 2 Dec 2015, 01:33 pm »
Hi Pearlcfam

I have used the arrows but for the life of me I cannot find where radio paradise is.

This is my favourite radio station - can any one tell me where it is in bRadio?

Thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1332 on: 2 Dec 2015, 01:49 pm »
Hi Pearlcfam

I have used the arrows but for the life of me I cannot find where radio paradise is.

This is my favourite radio station - can any one tell me where it is in bRadio?

Thanks

Hi

Go to ROCK then ALL ROCK STATIONS  - then scroll down - then click on + sign and let it turn Blue.  It will then be in your list of stations when you click on BRADIO going forward.

« Last Edit: 2 Dec 2015, 07:25 pm by James Tanner »

Tezza009

« Reply #1333 on: 2 Dec 2015, 01:55 pm »
Thanks James

I don't see Rock on my scroll down box. It stops at electronic.

I am using Safari. I have tried arrow keys etc but it won't scroll down

Tezza009

« Reply #1334 on: 2 Dec 2015, 02:06 pm »
Found it! Needed to click up arrow before I could scroll down . Thanks

Now just need to get Tidal working which is very slow

Marius

« Reply #1335 on: 2 Dec 2015, 07:11 pm »
instead of scrolling , I always use cmd-F....
just a quick way of finding the desired stuff..

cheers,
Marius

Hi

Go to ROCK then ALL ROCK STATIONS  - then scroll down - then click on + sign and let it turn Blue.  It will than be in your list of stations when you click on BRADIO going forward.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1336 on: 3 Dec 2015, 03:24 pm »
the app type user interface is sorely lacking.

care to elaborate?

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #1337 on: 3 Dec 2015, 04:21 pm »
care to elaborate?
Or don't. One of the many beautiful things about the BDPs is that you can use them with a very broad range of third party software controllers. Windows desktops and portables have a sleek and free app called Chimney. iThings can use mPoD or mPaD. Android has a very nice one called MPDroid.

Or, you can get outside of the MPD realm altogether with a BDP and use it as a UPnP device. Android's bubbleUPnP might be one of the most fully featured controllers available. If you are into JRiver, you can use the DLNA renderer function of the BDP to route audio that way. Or, if you just want to take the easy way out, turn on Shairplay and use the airplay function of your mac or iOS device to stream music directly from your handheld to the BDP.

If you learned digital audio from the school of Squeezebox, turn on the squeezebox emulator in the BDP and use the ole trusty logitech media server on a host computer.

I know of no other high end digital audio player that offers so many ways to get music in and out with so many control possibilities. If you hate our interface or simply can't make sense out of it, don't force yourself into misery. Pick a different way of making it play and you still get to appreciate all the high end sound quality engineering improvements our BDP has over other units.

Happy listening! :thumb:

Marius

« Reply #1338 on: 3 Dec 2015, 04:26 pm »
Great post Gary, thanks for the wrap-up.

One thing: to get the highest of res, i thought one had to use the MPD?
Seem to recall that Chris mentioned the other services don't support the 24bit part, let alone up to 192khz.

Cheers,
Marius

Or don't. One of the many beautiful things about the BDPs is that you can use them with a very broad range of third party software controllers. Windows desktops and portables have a sleek and free app called Chimney. iThings can use mPoD or mPaD. Android has a very nice one called MPDroid.

Or, you can get outside of the MPD realm altogether with a BDP and use it as a UPnP device. Android's bubbleUPnP might be one of the most fully featured controllers available. If you are into JRiver, you can use the DLNA renderer function of the BDP to route audio that way. Or, if you just want to take the easy way out, turn on Shairplay and use the airplay function of your mac or iOS device to stream music directly from your handheld to the BDP.

If you learned digital audio from the school of Squeezebox, turn on the squeezebox emulator in the BDP and use the ole trusty logitech media server on a host computer.

I know of no other high end digital audio player that offers so many ways to get music in and out with so many control possibilities. If you hate our interface or simply can't make sense out of it, don't force yourself into misery. Pick a different way of making it play and you still get to appreciate all the high end sound quality engineering improvements our BDP has over other units.

Happy listening! :thumb:

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #1339 on: 3 Dec 2015, 05:05 pm »
I'm certain that DLNA is bitperfect lossless provided that your controller and server are setup to not transcode. As a quick sanity test, I am streaming a 192/24 file with foobar2000 as the server and bubbleupnp as the controller at this moment. I haven't used Squeeze in a while, but I recall it being capable of bit perfect playback as well. Airplay is supposedly bitperfect at 44.1/16 but it has clocking issues (among others) that hinder the sound quality somewhat. That being said, I can definitely hear an improvement when comparing an airport express and BDP in shairplay mode when both are being fed to the BDA-2.