Amp biasing again...

sz28

Amp biasing again...
« on: 30 Sep 2016, 12:45 am »
Hello everyone, I want to check the bias and re bias, if necessary, my Odyssey Stratos monoblocks without having to ship them in. I am comfortable working with electronics and have the required tools. I haven't been able to find instructions online to do this myself so I was wondering if someone might be able to pm me the instructions or point me to an online source I would greatly appreciate it. :thumb:

sz28

Re: Amp biasing again...
« Reply #1 on: 30 Sep 2016, 03:00 pm »
Big thanks to germay, he sent me what I needed! :thumb:

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #2 on: 3 Oct 2016, 03:42 am »
late to the party,  but good....and thanks germay....

germay0653

« Reply #3 on: 3 Oct 2016, 07:44 pm »
Glad to help out.  I got them originally from Nicholas Bedworth.  Gery

AnalogDog

« Reply #4 on: 2 Nov 2016, 01:40 pm »
Thanks to Germay, I just got mine rebiased too. They'd drifted down to -13mv! Yoiks!....no wonder they were sounding off song!
Got all 4 sides (I've got Kismet monoblocs) zeroed out, and rock stable at -22mv. WHAT a difference! THESE are again the amps I fell in love with 7 years ago! I won't let 'em go that long again....anyone have suggestions as to how often they should be checked? Thanks again to germay, and to Klaus for making such a simple and easy design to work with!

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 2 Nov 2016, 02:47 pm »
Surprised that difference in bias made that much of a difference... Glad to hear they are singing nicely for you though!   :thumb:

AnalogDog

« Reply #6 on: 2 Nov 2016, 07:36 pm »
I've got Audio Physic Virgos...they are very very revealing of anything amiss in the signal chain. But boy, do they sing when everything is dialed in!

uncola

« Reply #7 on: 9 Nov 2016, 03:38 am »
Germay can I have the amp biasing instructions too?  I have the week off may as well do stuff I was putting off.  Also going to stick sorbothane under my laptop :p

aaron.luebke

« Reply #8 on: 10 Nov 2016, 12:17 am »
Me too?  I have some crudely written directions and I'd like to see if I can clean them up.

germay0653

« Reply #9 on: 11 Nov 2016, 11:34 pm »
Instructions sent. :thumb:

Just make sure they're plugged into the outlets your going to use them from when in your system.  I believe, Klaus correct me if I'm wrong, this is why Klaus asks for the outlet voltage readings from you when you purchase them.  He probably sets the the A/C voltage, somehow, to what you each provide when he biases them.

aaron.luebke

« Reply #10 on: 11 Nov 2016, 11:45 pm »
Got it!  Thank you.  :thumb:

tubesrule

« Reply #11 on: 12 Nov 2016, 08:34 pm »
Germany can I also get instructions on bias my Khartargo mono blocks. My email is ryriken66@att.net

germay0653

« Reply #12 on: 13 Nov 2016, 12:20 am »
Sent!

tripwr1964

« Reply #13 on: 13 Nov 2016, 05:33 pm »
just dialed my khartago mono's in this morning to -21.5mv and offset near 0.  much better now!
thks all for the help.  this is a very simple process once you figure it out.
however, i don't advised to drink a pot of coffee (and eat nothing) whiling doing it!  lol

and thanks klaus for a design that can be easily adjusted!

tripwr1964

« Reply #14 on: 13 Nov 2016, 07:57 pm »
read thru all the bias threads on this forum....

these are mono amps.

do you bias using tp1 and tp2 to a neg mv
or
do you bias using tp3 and tp4 to a positive mv

i've read folks adjusting to -21mv and 21mv

maybe this is a stupid question but have to ask.

germay0653

« Reply #15 on: 14 Nov 2016, 03:11 am »
You should follow the instructions. -21mV for both sides as a starting point (middle),  -18mV for darker/analytical and -24mV for warmer sound.  The mono is bridging the two channels together into one.

tripwr1964

« Reply #16 on: 14 Nov 2016, 12:11 pm »
got it.
thanks Germay!
going to listen to them a few days at -21.5mV (i was at -15 to -17mV) to see if i like them there.

Zolanji

« Reply #17 on: 18 Nov 2016, 04:46 pm »
As the new owner of a nice pair of Stratos Mono Extremes, I would like to check the bias, and how to set the offset ( right now at .13mV and .07mV).  I have no idea how old they are, nor what the bias would have been originally set for.  It would be nice for piece of mind to check them myself.  I am planing on returning them to Odyssey for a "tune up" and possible upgrades sometime in the future, but would like to know where I am starting from. IF someone could send me the instructions, that would be greatly appreciated!

questz1z

« Reply #18 on: 29 Nov 2016, 10:41 pm »
Germay I have a 6 month old pair of Kismets and I wanted to check/adjust the bias for my peace of mind. I absolutely love the amps and I want to keep them in proper adjustment. Can you please send me the adjustment instructions. My email address is questz1@comcast.net. THANKS in advance!

robbiesurp

« Reply #19 on: 30 Nov 2016, 03:45 pm »
Germany can I also get instructions on bias my Khartargo mono blocks.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: 4 Jan 2017, 03:21 pm by robbiesurp »