Looking for protractor for mounting distance of 258mm.

Sonny

Anyone have a good recommendation for a cartridge alignment protractor for a mounting distance of 258mm?

BobM

Re: Looking for protractor for mounting distance of 258mm.
« Reply #1 on: 20 Oct 2009, 07:23 pm »
Wayner was working on something. You should PM him and see if he can help you out.

jeffdavison

« Reply #2 on: 20 Oct 2009, 07:32 pm »
Here's a link...

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/freestuff.htm

go to the bottom of the page... there's an Excel spredsheet to calculate the doms to DIY

JD

Anyone have a good recommendation for a cartridge alignment protractor for a mounting distance of 258mm?

Sonny

« Reply #3 on: 20 Oct 2009, 07:46 pm »
Wayner was working on something. You should PM him and see if he can help you out.

Thanks, I did buy the protract from Wayner, but lost the alignment placard.

Sonny

« Reply #4 on: 20 Oct 2009, 07:47 pm »
Here's a link...

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/freestuff.htm

go to the bottom of the page... there's an Excel spredsheet to calculate the doms to DIY

JD

Thanks JD, printed out the alignment tool, but that's banking on the effective length being already set.
T

Wayner

« Reply #5 on: 20 Oct 2009, 08:04 pm »
Sonny,

That is like a 10.157" arm lenght or, I'm just wondering what your pivot to spindle length is, or what your overhang is? If these are known, and if you are interested, I can send you my new, better card for free, since you were one of the first customers. It's pretty easy to use. It works more on overhang, and you can use the Loefgren or Baerwald null points if you want or find your own null point numbers. The overhang scale goes out to 25 millimeters, so it should work. If you give me your spindle center to tonearm center, I can give you some numbers, just need to know what the heck the 258mm is in reference to.

Let me know.

Wayner

Sonny

« Reply #6 on: 20 Oct 2009, 08:08 pm »
Sonny,

That is like a 10.157" arm lenght or, I'm just wondering what your pivot to spindle length is, or what your overhang is? If these are known, and if you are interested, I can send you my new, better card for free, since you were one of the first customers. It's pretty easy to use. It works more on overhang, and you can use the Loefgren or Baerwald null points if you want or find your own null point numbers. The overhang scale goes out to 25 millimeters, so it should work. If you give me your spindle center to tonearm center, I can give you some numbers, just need to know what the heck the 258mm is in reference to.

Let me know.

Wayner

Thanks Wayner...the 258 is the spindle to pivot...

Wayner

« Reply #7 on: 20 Oct 2009, 08:18 pm »
Good. If you wanted to use the Loefgren null points, (point 1 being at 70.285mm and point 2 being at 116.604mm, your overhang would be 15.422mm. That would give you an effective arm length of 273.422mm or 10.765". My CAT2 will handle these numbers. Should I put one in the mail for you?

PM me your address.

Wayner  :D

Wayner

« Reply #8 on: 20 Oct 2009, 08:22 pm »
It looks like this:

First, you aim the protractor (I will give you instructions on a CD-rom), then you set the overhang, then go to the null point scale and find your numbers and align the cartridge front to the lines on the null point scale. Easy as pie. Orthobiz has one, ask him how it was to use.

Wayner

Sonny

« Reply #9 on: 20 Oct 2009, 08:43 pm »
Good. If you wanted to use the Loefgren null points, (point 1 being at 70.285mm and point 2 being at 116.604mm, your overhang would be 15.422mm. That would give you an effective arm length of 273.422mm or 10.765". My CAT2 will handle these numbers. Should I put one in the mail for you?

PM me your address.

Wayner, sent you an email since PM is not working for me.
T

Sonny

« Reply #10 on: 22 Oct 2009, 02:32 pm »
Wayner, did you get my PM for my address?
Thanks

Wayner

« Reply #11 on: 22 Oct 2009, 06:31 pm »
Oops, I forgot to tell you that I sent the care package to you yesterday via USPS priority mail.

Sonny

« Reply #12 on: 22 Oct 2009, 06:58 pm »
Thanks Wayner...looking forward to it!

orthobiz

« Reply #13 on: 22 Oct 2009, 08:20 pm »
I've used Wayner's special device on three tables and it is AWESOME.

Paul

Wayner

« Reply #14 on: 22 Oct 2009, 09:41 pm »
Thanks Paul!

I'm just finishing up the instruction sheet for this thing. Man, it's a job to try and get everyone on the same page. I have also made a video, which you have seen and that will also be included. I'm worried that I will confuse the customer as there are so many sources of information and techniques to set overhang and find the all important null points. We are trying to be all inclusive and let the customer decide what he/she thinks is the right approach to using the tool. We provide the playground, you decide what game to play! As soon as Frank's new website is done, we will be ready.