When to rehab tube amp?

kingdeezie

When to rehab tube amp?
« on: 25 Feb 2015, 07:40 pm »
So I have a pair of Manley Neo Classic 250's. They recently turned 10 years old. I have had them for about 4 of those years.

When is it time to find someone to service them? I am not having any issues with them so far. *knocks on wood*

One of the monoblocks power switches feels a little looser when I flip it on, versus its brother, but other then that, no issues.

I know there are things like capacitors, etc, etc, etc that have to be replaced at certain points.

Are there any other issues I should be looking out for, or being proactive about?

:dunno:

Syrah

Re: When to rehab tube amp?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2015, 07:55 pm »
Great question.  +1.  I have the same one re. my Dodd 120 monoblocks.  I've obviously retubed them a few times and replaced the odd blown fuse, but nothing otherwise.  They are pushing 12 years old.  What would a fading cap sound like?  Or do they just suddenly blow, and that's it?

jsm71

« Reply #2 on: 26 Feb 2015, 07:20 pm »
This general age question also applies to SS.  Caps especially seem to have a life, although the change over time is so gradual that there may not be obvious warning signs.  I've read tons of threads where amps of any kind have been refurbished just because of age usually by someone buying used and boom, amazing new life springs forth.  Too bad amps don't come with "gas gauges".  Maybe someone who is more aware of sensible refurbishing cycles can weigh in.  Tubes are pretty easy to gauge, especially if you have meters on the amp or access to a tester.

kentajalli

« Reply #3 on: 26 Feb 2015, 07:41 pm »
As a general rule (I am not familiar with your particular amp), age matters not, usage does - unless we are talking 50 years or so.
Electrolytic capacitors do have a limited life span of few 1000 hours (depending on model/make), but at their rated power and temperature i.e. worst case scenario. At moderate conditions which amps are designed to use them, they last a few 10000 hours! do the math, 5 hours of use, everyday makes about 1800 hours per year, so after 10 years, you need to think about replacing them, but 3 hours a day every other day, then we are talking 20 years or more!
Electrolytic Caps only blow, on over voltage, reverse voltage or over heat. Almost none would happen in your amps. as the years go by, they loose their capacity gradually and become ineffective.
power Tubes also have a limited life, but again it depends on circumstances. A class A amplifier tube lasts less than a push pull, if they are ventilated or not, how much vibration? But expect 10000 hrs in push pull and a bit less in triode ( for EL34's).
Tubes start to sound flat towards their end of useful life.
Resistors, non electrolytic capacitors, coils and transformers, do not have a known life span.
« Last Edit: 26 Feb 2015, 11:46 pm by kentajalli »

kentajalli

« Reply #4 on: 27 Feb 2015, 12:06 am »
One of the monoblocks power switches feels a little looser when I flip it on, versus . . .

Also , what I am about to say is gonna freak-out those who believe a $1000 power cord makes their amp sound better!
I have a pair of mono-blocks too, and I used to hate bending over them to switch each one on & off (specially after a few drinks) - so I purchased a remote mains switch

and plugged the amps into them! Last year!
Solved my problem - I don't have to touch them any more. :duh:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 27 Feb 2015, 01:26 am »
So I have a pair of Manley Neo Classic 250's. They recently turned 10 years old. I have had them for about 4 of those years.

When is it time to find someone to service them? I am not having any issues with them so far. *knocks on wood*

One of the monoblocks power switches feels a little looser when I flip it on, versus its brother, but other then that, no issues.

I know there are things like capacitors, etc, etc, etc that have to be replaced at certain points.

Are there any other issues I should be looking out for, or being proactive about?

:dunno:
My 2 cents: Dont fix what is not broken.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #6 on: 27 Feb 2015, 06:42 pm »
Dont fix what is not broken.

Word.

And plus 1.  :thumb:

7x57

« Reply #7 on: 28 Feb 2015, 12:23 am »
If the tubes test good and are not microphonic, don't change them. I'm still using a 1959 Mullard 12AU7A in my preamp.

Good film caps will probably outlive you.

Electrolytic caps lasted about 7 years in the 1960's, but they can go 20 years in constant service today. Longer in solid state gear that runs cool.

Carbon film and carbon composition plate resistors often went noisy, but if you have metal foil resistors or bulk metal film resistors in the circuits, they will also probably outlive you.

Switches and relays are normal wear items, so replace them as necessary.

Power transformers in tube amps are common failures if dating back to the 60's or earlier. They were made to run on 110V and that plus age causes high failure rates on 125V commonly seen today.

Steve

« Reply #8 on: 28 Feb 2015, 05:32 am »
An old general rule of thumb is that the life of an electrolytic capacitor is halved for approximately every 20 degrees F increase in its temperature.

Therefore it is important to realize not only the hours powered on, but the temperature of the cap in its current layout to determine the length of useful life.
Increase of esr will occur, thus gradual sonic degradation is probable.

Cheers
Steve