New X-Otica coming soon.

Danny Richie

New X-Otica coming soon.
« on: 17 Oct 2015, 10:03 pm »
Well I am moving ahead with the X-Otica model. It is the next model up in the X-Series line.

It will use the same T26SG tweeter used in the Encore version kits. http://gr-research.com/gr-t3tweeter-1.aspx

And dual M165NQ drivers in an MTM configuration. http://gr-research.com/m165xwoofer-2-1.aspx

Below that will be four M-165 woofers. http://gr-research.com/m130woofer-1.aspx

All open baffle. The lower section is wedge shaped to allow low extension to 60Hz. The MTM section uses a single side wing much like our other open baffle designs.

Ideally these can be used with our open baffle servo controlled 12" woofers to make a solid full range system.

persisting1

Re: New X-Otica coming soon.
« Reply #1 on: 19 Oct 2015, 10:05 pm »
Danny,

How does this sound compared to the X-Statiks given that it's all OB and has two additional drivers for the bottom end?

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 19 Oct 2015, 10:15 pm »
Danny,

How does this sound compared to the X-Statiks given that it's all OB and has two additional drivers for the bottom end?

I haven't A/B'ed the two, but I have been listening to the M165NQ16 drivers. They are a step up in the mid-range performance for sure. And the mids play lower.

With the four woofers below being in an open baffle they do not play as low as the X-Statik, but it is all open baffle. So room interactions are different. Also each woofer is not having to work as hard in this configuration so settling time is faster as well.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 20 Oct 2015, 12:01 am »
What about using triple 8"s or dual 12"s for the bottom section instead of four M165's, maybe as an option or different model?

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 20 Oct 2015, 12:05 am »
What about using triple 8"s or dual 12"s for the bottom section instead of four M165's, maybe as an option or different model?

That might also be a good option.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #5 on: 20 Oct 2015, 12:25 am »

Mike,

Excellent question! I had come up with the same wonder.

If I recall correctly, Jay was not powering the lower bass section of his OB-7s when I visited him. We listened (very happily BTW) to the MTM portion and his double 12" OB servo subs. That was six hours of beautiful music.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 20 Oct 2015, 12:50 am »
Mike,

If I recall correctly, Jay was not powering the lower bass section of his OB-7s when I visited him. We listened (very happily BTW) to the MTM portion and his double 12" OB servo subs. That was six hours of beautiful music.

Yep, the servo subs are super nice. I wouldn't suggest not having the four M165's at all though. Maybe one option with the four M165's and a different one with servo subs.

Two different options at two different price points.

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #7 on: 20 Oct 2015, 02:22 am »
Mike,

Michael,
All the OB7 drivers  were  going  and always have been.  The M130X's are fast and very clean inthe  sealed OB7 lower cabinet.

jay

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #8 on: 20 Oct 2015, 02:38 am »
Thanks for the correction, Jay. For whatever reason, that idea had stuck in my mind. No doubt age is playing tricks on me again.  :(

Captainhemo

« Reply #9 on: 20 Oct 2015, 03:18 am »
Thanks for the correction, Jay. For whatever reason, that idea had stuck in my mind. No doubt age is playing tricks on me again.  :(

It's not age   , we did talk about it , we just never  tried it !
Besides, it couldn't possibly be age, you're still a youngster >beer:

jay

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #10 on: 20 Oct 2015, 05:17 pm »
Most music is in the midrange,  and all the M130's would deliver really clean, defined mids as they would each operate in their pistonic range.  Separate 8's or 12's in H-frames would be a great way to handle bass.  Very interesting project. :)

david45

« Reply #11 on: 20 Oct 2015, 11:37 pm »
Danny,

Congratulations for your new model!!

Are you still planning on using controlled directivity for the peerless tweeter? I recall that originally the front baffle (CNC machined waveguide) was going to be part of the kit for the x-otica speakers.

Also am I correct in assuming that only your limited edition model with BG tweeter is open-baffle up to 20khz or did you find a way to make it work with the T26SG tweeter as well?

Please make sure you post your impressions when you get to directly compare the 2 new models  :thumb:

X-Otica vs NX-Otica

Cheers,

David

Danny Richie

« Reply #12 on: 21 Oct 2015, 04:26 pm »
Danny,

Congratulations for your new model!!

Are you still planning on using controlled directivity for the peerless tweeter? I recall that originally the front baffle (CNC machined waveguide) was going to be part of the kit for the x-otica speakers.

Also am I correct in assuming that only your limited edition model with BG tweeter is open-baffle up to 20khz or did you find a way to make it work with the T26SG tweeter as well?

Please make sure you post your impressions when you get to directly compare the 2 new models  :thumb:

X-Otica vs NX-Otica

Cheers,

David

I am not going to try to incorporate a wave guide on this model. That way it will be easy for any hobbyist to build the box.

And using the dome tweeter means it will not be open baffle in the top end.

Mr. Oczka

• Audiophile in training
« Reply #13 on: 21 Oct 2015, 10:06 pm »
Danny,

Any guesstimate on what these will cost?

Also, do you have a timeline of when they will be available? 

Danny Richie

« Reply #14 on: 21 Oct 2015, 10:17 pm »
Danny,

Any guesstimate on what these will cost?

Also, do you have a timeline of when they will be available?

Not yet, but soon.

Mr. Oczka

• Audiophile in training
« Reply #15 on: 21 Oct 2015, 10:24 pm »
That's cool.  I'll start rolling my jars of pennies to come up with the funds to buy a pair. :D

Danny Richie

« Reply #16 on: 21 Oct 2015, 10:36 pm »
$775 for the drivers. Then there will be crossover parts, tube connectors, some wire....

Danny Richie

« Reply #17 on: 2 Nov 2015, 10:38 pm »
The inital measurements of the MTM section looked really good on these. I'll post them soon.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #18 on: 18 Nov 2015, 05:23 pm »
Hi Danny, any news on these?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #19 on: 18 Nov 2015, 05:46 pm »
Danny, on your opening post you refer to the 4 M165 woofers, but link next to them is for the M130.  Which one are you thinking about using for the lower drivers?

... guess I should have clicked on it rather than just reading it, as it takes me to the M165's.  Odd, since the link says M130 :scratch: