A meeting of the minds...

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: A meeting of the minds...
« Reply #20 on: 17 Oct 2015, 08:45 pm »
The OB line array's in Danny's picture look great in person.  They have a very small profile since they are OB's.

I like the way they look.  :thumb:

drewm

« Reply #21 on: 17 Oct 2015, 08:46 pm »
Have you not seen an Eminent Technology LFT-8b?         https://www.google.com/search?q=eminent+technology+lft-8b&espv=2&biw=1584&bih=747&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CDAQsARqFQoTCPzfo6GmysgCFQIyPgodhR8Dew

Those speakers have a sensitivity of 83db/w as compared to even the Super 7 using the same drivers having a sensitivity of 96db/w. Apples and oranges.

If anything you'd cross shop those with Magnepans.

Danny Richie

« Reply #22 on: 17 Oct 2015, 09:20 pm »

The subs are actually the subs that match the LSX line sources. Rather then build an indentical pair these were boroed from the LSX's.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #23 on: 17 Oct 2015, 09:46 pm »
Those towers are milled aluminum. Not exactly DIY friendly. And from what Danny said, no you cannot make one out of wood. There is so little material left in the baffle that wood would never be strong enough.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #24 on: 17 Oct 2015, 11:28 pm »
They look gorgeous Danny! Hope everything comes together for these.

bdp24

« Reply #25 on: 17 Oct 2015, 11:44 pm »
Those speakers have a sensitivity of 83db/w as compared to even the Super 7 using the same drivers having a sensitivity of 96db/w. Apples and oranges.

If anything you'd cross shop those with Magnepans.

That's true, the ET LFT-8b's competition is the Magnepan 1.7. I chose the ET's (replacing the woofer with the GR OB/Dipole sub), and while an excellent speaker and a great value ($2500/pr), at their price one can't expect it to perform at the level these do. I'm going to have Danny make me cross-overs for them with better parts soon. I also still have old Quad ESL's as well, which despite being introduced in 1957 (!) remain unsurpassed in some ways. I've never heard a planar I didn't like (well, maybe the Heil AMT!), and few dynamics (cones) I have.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #26 on: 20 Oct 2015, 05:39 pm »
Danny, I wish you success in coming up with your own line of OEM planar magnetic drivers!   Commercial sales and of course don't forget the guys out here in DIY land :thumb:

wshuff

« Reply #27 on: 8 Nov 2015, 02:18 pm »
Well, I'll never be able to have those speakers (but hey, I've got the LS6 and an LS-C), so where can I get the GR t-shirt?

Captainhemo

« Reply #28 on: 9 Nov 2015, 01:29 am »
....., so where can I get the GR t-shirt?

Me too :beer:

jay

richidoo

« Reply #29 on: 9 Nov 2015, 01:57 am »
Danny, I wish you success in coming up with your own line of OEM planar magnetic drivers!   Commercial sales and of course don't forget the guys out here in DIY land :thumb:

+1

Good luck with the project Danny. I hope to hear it sometime.

Folsom

« Reply #30 on: 9 Nov 2015, 03:10 am »
Those towers are milled aluminum. Not exactly DIY friendly. And from what Danny said, no you cannot make one out of wood. There is so little material left in the baffle that wood would never be strong enough.

Is just a face plate not DIY friendly?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #31 on: 9 Nov 2015, 04:41 am »
The bigger problem is that the BG NEO3/NEO10 drivers are no longer available after Christie Digital purchased the company.  No new production drivers since December 2014.  The ones in the picture are the only ones that could be made. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #32 on: 9 Nov 2015, 06:41 pm »
Sorry guys, I am out of GR Research T-shirts.

SteveKi

« Reply #33 on: 12 Nov 2015, 03:59 pm »

How about if you machine a 3/8" thick aluminum sub frame just large enough to screw the drivers into. Then the whole sub assembly can be mounted onto a wooden baffle.

The inner rows of driver mounting holes can screw into tapped holes in the aluminum sub frame.
The outer rows of driver mounting holes can use wood screws to go through holes in the aluminum sub frame then screw right into the wooden baffle.

Steve

SteveKi

« Reply #34 on: 12 Nov 2015, 04:01 pm »
Did they have a name or 'under development' code name?
Steve

DeeJayBump

« Reply #35 on: 12 Nov 2015, 06:31 pm »
They were called Line Force.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #36 on: 4 Jan 2016, 07:26 pm »

The subs are actually the subs that match the LSX line sources. Rather then build an indentical pair these were boroed from the LSX's.
Any updates on these? Any luck with future development of "Neo" type drivers?

Sure hope something can get worked out.

Danny Richie

« Reply #37 on: 4 Jan 2016, 11:09 pm »
Any updates on these? Any luck with future development of "Neo" type drivers?

Sure hope something can get worked out.

Unfortunately, I'd have to say I just reach dead ends. Christy Digital's legal department has things tied up right now. Who knows...

In the mean time I am working on the development of some new Planar magnetic tweeters. Starting from scratch is going to take a while...

Early B.

« Reply #38 on: 4 Jan 2016, 11:16 pm »
Starting from scratch is going to take a while...

Why start from scratch? Aren't there other planar/ribbon tweeters on the market that can be tweaked for your use?

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #39 on: 5 Jan 2016, 12:07 am »
What about the Hawthorne AMT tweeter. That should be a top notch platform.

Rocket_Ronny