drphoto's Strat

m-fine

drphoto's Strat
« on: 11 Mar 2010, 07:09 pm »
Drphoto, what color is that strat?  It looks like seafoam green in your avatar but surfgreen in the pics in your gallery. Or do you have one of each?

drphoto

drphoto's Strat
« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2010, 09:20 pm »
It's actually the surf green. It looks too blue in the avitar, appearing more like seafoam.

It's a '57 reissue (american made in '07)

m-fine

drphoto's Strat
« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2010, 12:29 am »
I love both colors. The surf green came from the 57 chevy so it is a cool color for 57 reissue even though I am pretty sure Fender didn't have either green until 59 or 60.  I love the look with the polished ash tray cover. 

drphoto

drphoto's Strat
« Reply #3 on: 12 Mar 2010, 05:17 am »
Yeah, I think it's really pretty. I like the amber tinted maple neck.  The dauphin blue looks good on these too, it was a tough call. The split top vintage tuners are great. Easy string changes and hold tune very well. Dunno why they went away from that design.

Actually, I don't play it much, as I'm so worried about damaging the delicate nitro finish. I normally practice on my beat up Carvin. They makes a nice product for the money and manage to it right here in the US. (I'm no jingoist, but it does mean jobs for fellow citizens)

Hey, I can hijack my own thread if I want.....right??

m-fine

drphoto's Strat
« Reply #4 on: 12 Mar 2010, 11:32 pm »
I think I am the one responsible for the threadjack, LOL!  My main guitar for the last 20 years has been a 1988 MIJ "standard" I got used in 1990 for a mere $190.  The new made in USA models were just catching up to the MIJ build quality at that time, but they were already pretty pricey. My MIJ had a lot in common with the 62 reissue except it had the not so great Japanese pickups and a really bad 5 possition switch that was pretty much shot when I bought it. I got a new switch, for $5 installed, right away and added Seymour Duncan pickups a few years later.  One of the reasons I like this guitar so much is it was cheap so I never felt I needed to baby it.  Yet somehow it survived HS, college, and now kids with very little dammage to show for it.  If only I had aged so well!

« Last Edit: 13 Mar 2010, 12:50 am by m-fine »

Danny Richie

Re: drphoto's Strat
« Reply #5 on: 13 Mar 2010, 12:28 am »
No worries.

I'll give you guys your own thread to talk about Strat's.

Go for it.

m-fine

« Reply #6 on: 13 Mar 2010, 12:57 am »
No worries.

I'll give you guys your own thread to talk about Strat's.

Go for it.

So Danny, which GR speaker is best for reproducing a well recorded strat?  :green:

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 13 Mar 2010, 01:09 am »
Super-V's.  :thumb:

drphoto

« Reply #8 on: 13 Mar 2010, 01:22 am »
m-fine, I suppose w/ that sort of treatment, don't have to worry about belt buckle rash.....but diaper rash!

Oh come on Danny, you were being so coy about the full OB version of the 7 or 5 to be used w/ the servo subs, that we just got bored and moved on to something else.  :wink:

m-fine

« Reply #9 on: 13 Mar 2010, 01:34 am »
Super-V's.  :thumb:

Darn, Just got my N2X kit today, it will be a while before I have Super-V's :D

m-fine

« Reply #10 on: 13 Mar 2010, 01:47 am »
m-fine, I suppose w/ that sort of treatment, don't have to worry about belt buckle rash.....but diaper rash!

He got his own 3/4 size Squire for his 4th B-day back in September.  Other than the tuning heads, it is a pretty nice guitar for less than $100.  Now I just need to resist tricking it out with a ton of upgrades!  :icon_twisted: 

drphoto

« Reply #11 on: 13 Mar 2010, 02:19 am »
Well, since this is now officially a Strat (or any guitar.....hey we're inclusive) I love the vintage tuners on the reissue. I dunno why they went away from that design. The split top allows for fast, easy string change (almost as easy as the Sperzal lockers on my Carvin) and they hold tune. Of course I don't do any dive bombs on the whammy bar.

m-fine

« Reply #12 on: 13 Mar 2010, 03:18 am »

I am guessing the change in tuner style in the 60's had more to do with cost than anything else.  I haven't used the fender vintage style but I have an old Gibson acoustic with the open tops.  The neck on my MIJ is the the 59-6? style with the rosewood fretboard, wide 12th fret dots, and the heel end guide rod adjust (no skunk stripe), but it has the gotoh tuners which work well but are nothing special.  If it had the vintage style tuners and the American wound vintage pickups, it would have been  a 62 reissue at 4x the price.  Then again I would not have been able to afford it on my minimum wage income back then anyway.