Salkstreamer future request

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
Salkstreamer future request
« on: 18 Jul 2016, 01:33 pm »
I would LOVE to see this implemented in the Salkstreamer:

http://www.perfectdeclipper.com/

It's small, it's cheap, it works like a charm.
Forget Roon, this is what will draw attention.

Dear mr. Salk, any chance of this ever happening? I'll buy the first one!

jsalk

Re: Salkstreamer future request
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jul 2016, 07:21 pm »
Anonamemouse -

Most of those offerings are VST plugins.  Which most likely means you need to be running programs that accept the plug-ins.  These programs tend to be recording/editing programs (I have used a few of them in the past for recording purposes.)

You could probably use one of these programs to "save" files that have been processed and then move the resulting file to the StreamPlayer.  That way, you wouldn't need to have it running on the StreamPlayer itself.

I notice they do have a Linux program as well (Stereo Tool), but it appears that it requires a graphical user interface and the StreamPlayer has none.

A version of the StreamPlayer could be built with something like Ubuntu Linux with Jack installed, but this would be a completely different platform.

So, yes, it could be done.  But it is not something we could add to the standard StreamPlayer and probably wouldn't want to offer it as an "official" product.

- Jim

Anonamemouse

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jul 2016, 08:10 am »
A shame... But I see where you're coming from.
If you ever change your mind... :)

Gzerro

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jul 2016, 08:44 pm »
Anonamemouse (or anyone else) -  Have you tried using the "perfect declipper" software? If so, what did you think?

Anonamemouse

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jul 2016, 12:30 pm »
Anonamemouse (or anyone else) -  Have you tried using the "perfect declipper" software? If so, what did you think?

Yes, I have played with it for quite some time now. The results are mixed, but mostly it is not hard to improve a victim of the loudness war and make it listenable. I have messed with Michael Jacksons Thriller, I attempted to go from the last remaster  from Thriller - 25th Anniversary Edition, DR 8, back to Thriller - Japanese First Pressing [Epic # 35-8P-11], DR 15. With some time and effort you can actually come quite close! The result is definitely a lot more enjoyable to listen to than the remaster!

Unfortunately the result will never be perfect... Once the damage is done one can only try to do the best one can to repair things.

There is a guy that posts under the alias BrickwallHater (not here, but at several torrent sites, he also posts under the name ghostrider94 at the Steve Hoffman forum). What he does is quite impressive I think. Look up his results!