Need help identifying subwoofers

keithl

Need help identifying subwoofers
« on: 30 May 2014, 06:53 pm »
I just picked up a pair of VMPS subwoofers and I believe them to be the Originals.
They measure 27"h x 21"w x 17"d.
12" woofer and slot loaded 15" passive

They need a lot of work but they were free :D

Where is the best place to order surrounds for these?

Are they the originals?

Does anyone have specs for them?

John Casler

Re: Need help identifying subwoofers
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2014, 07:09 pm »
Yes, that is called the ORIGINAL sub since it is the Original Sub Brian produced.

Listed specs are:

Frequency Response: +0, -3dB, 20Hz to 600Hz
THD: 2.5% max. 20Hz to 600Hz
Sensitivity: 90dB/1W/1m
Impedance: 8 Ohms
Power Requirements: 20W - 200W rms
Dimensions: 20 x 27 x 17"

We have a new 15" Passive Radiator, that will extend  the lower responses a bit.

Not sure those are stock woofers, since they don't appear to have phase plugs, but dust caps instead.

keithl

« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2014, 07:39 pm »
Thanks for the info John!

I think I would like to refoam at this point, but what is the price of the new passives?

I popped the woofer out and I think it is original as the monster wire is soldered directly. They look the same as the only other picture I found on the interweb.

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2014, 10:48 pm »
Yours might be from before him using phase plugs.

He told me the ORIGINAL sub was designed to be used and blended with the QUAD speakers, which had little bass response to speak of.  Later he also used it with other speakers he helped design or worked on.

Later he built a larger sub with a bigger box, and an additional 15" driver.  Since it was larger than the ORIGINAL he called it the LARGER SUB.

Then next he designed and built a smaller sub with a 10" active and 12" Passive.  Of course since it was smaller, it became known as the SMALLER SUB.

Then after he designed the 626, which had 2 6" woofers and a 2" tweeter, he designed and built a Sub that the 626 could be set on that would be the right height for normal listening.  Initially it was dedicated to being a stand and sub for the 626.  This sub then was known as the DEDICATED SUB.

The UltraMega PRs are $115 each plus shipping, and will make a MAJOR difference in the performance of the sub. . . .MAJOR.

keithl

« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2014, 01:50 am »
How do you get to the passives? I took a quick look at the bottom of the speakers but did not notice any screws.

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2014, 05:54 pm »
How do you get to the passives? I took a quick look at the bottom of the speakers but did not notice any screws.

Good question.  I was not around when these were first built, and Brian would change some design features on the fly, so I do not know.  :dunno:

I would assume that there must be a way to remove the bottom plate, even if it is glued on.

ZAKski288

« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2014, 08:00 pm »
I have one just like it. There are four large screws on the bottom, once you remove them,  the whole bottom slides off revealing the passive. Good luck

ZAKski288

« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2014, 08:34 pm »
Also, Simply Speakers have 12" Butyl  rubber surrounds #RSK-12A which will last longer than the foam. For the passives #FSK-15F is what I used, which is a foam surround, Not sure if they have butyl rubber surrounds in 15".  Good luck with the refoam job.   :thumb:  Vmps ROCKS

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2014, 08:41 pm »
I also have one of them in Piano Black.
November 30, 1993
VMPS Subwoofer kit in Black $439
that's 379+20+40 = 439

TAFKA Steve

« Reply #9 on: 3 Jun 2014, 05:30 pm »
keithl,

I have an older pair like yours that doesn't use screws on the bottom.  It is attached using long staples.  Turn the subwoofer upside down and use a sharp flat-blade screwdriver to pry a bit of one end of the bottom plinth loose.  Then you can work around and loosen the rest of the plinth.  Don't bend the staples because you can align them with the holes when you reattach the plinth and just tap it back on with a soft mallet or hammer.

I bought mine in kit form from a dealer in Costa Mesa, CA for $450/pr.  I think they were spec'd in Audio Magazine at 94 dB/w/m efficiency and -3 dB at 19 Hz, but both of those numbers are way too optimistic.  They were built to be used with John Curl's Symmetry ACS-1 active crossover to function as "space boxes" to enhance the soundstage size of the VMPS Widerange Ribbons (the ones with the Strathern true ribbon midranges which were also used in the Infinity QRS).

keithl

« Reply #10 on: 3 Jun 2014, 06:01 pm »
I actually looked at them this morning and was able to pull off the one bottom with relative ease. I will use screws to put the bottoms back on.

Stimpy

« Reply #11 on: 3 Jun 2014, 09:32 pm »
I just picked up a pair of VMPS subwoofers and I believe them to be the Originals.  They need a lot of work but they were free :D

Nice Score! 

Oh, did you got the free pair in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania?  I saw those on craigslist,
but they were already gone, once I saw the ad!  I would have made a road trip for those. 
And from your picture, they look to be in better shape than the ad portrayed!

Good Luck!

keithl

« Reply #12 on: 4 Jun 2014, 12:34 am »
Yes I got the free ones in Harrisburg. They need a bit of work to get cleaned up and obviously the woofers and passives need refoamed.

Shear Bliss

« Reply #13 on: 5 Jun 2014, 01:06 pm »
Keithl

Great snag on them, since your in PA. contact Bill LeGall at Millersound .... in Lansdale for the repair work, Bill is the speaker guru!! Highly recommended.

Doug

keithl

« Reply #14 on: 5 Jun 2014, 01:18 pm »
Thanks for the info Doug. I will keep that in mind if I run into any troubles.
I have repaired a number of drivers with great success, knock on wood.

RSorak

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 3 Apr 2015, 12:21 am »
I have a pair of these subs,  (original subs) and they have 2 pairs of banana plugs on the back....I'm pretty sure the uppers connect to the amp, What is the lower pair for?

ZAKski288

« Reply #16 on: 3 Apr 2015, 12:37 am »
This may help if it looks this, (1) 12" driver. Heres the instructions from the back of subwoofer. ZAK

RSorak

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 3 Apr 2015, 04:25 am »
Appreciate the fast reply. but mine only have 1 panel w 2 pairs of banana plugs, not 2 panels w/ 2 pairs. My subs have the other panel but it has no plugs, it's just blank.

ZAKski288

« Reply #18 on: 3 Apr 2015, 06:01 am »
Pictures

RSorak

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 3 Apr 2015, 03:32 pm »

I recently replaced the bottom pair of banana plugs and the speaker was upside down while doing so....so I got my terminals reversed. To my knowledge the amp goes to the bottom pair.