Short-Block USB filter

audioengr

Re: Short-Block USB filter
« Reply #60 on: 31 Dec 2012, 05:36 pm »
It will work with the generation usb cables where power and data are on two separate usb cables. The data usb cable will benefit from the SB USB  filter

I don't think so.  The "B" connector at the device has no connection to +5V.

I did make one prototype SB with a 5V power umbilical on it for one customer.  Have not heard back from him though.

Steve N.

kyrill

« Reply #61 on: 31 Dec 2012, 08:14 pm »
I see.. I too automatically assumed I could put the filter between USB host (PC, MAC) out and any USB cable at the A male part. But it filters at the end  ( B side) of the cable not the beginning, which does make sense : )

santacore

« Reply #62 on: 31 Dec 2012, 08:28 pm »
Steve,

I'm interested in trying one with my Mac Mini and Lynx Hilo setup. Do you have a return policy on this item? I would only return it if there wasn't much of a positive sonic change.

John

audioengr

« Reply #63 on: 1 Jan 2013, 01:32 am »
Steve,

I'm interested in trying one with my Mac Mini and Lynx Hilo setup. Do you have a return policy on this item? I would only return it if there wasn't much of a positive sonic change.

John

My return policy is for those USB interfaces where it does not work.  Make sure it will work before ordering.

All returns I;ve had were because it did not work.  If it works, it works well.

Steve N.

fridays

« Reply #64 on: 1 Jan 2013, 02:59 am »
Ok How can I make sure it will work....

jdkane527

« Reply #65 on: 1 Jan 2013, 11:01 am »
I saw you mentioned that it does not work with Peachtree products.  Is the Peachtree Nova included on this list of incompatible products?

audioengr

« Reply #66 on: 1 Jan 2013, 07:45 pm »
I saw you mentioned that it does not work with Peachtree products.  Is the Peachtree Nova included on this list of incompatible products?

I'm pretty sure it will NOT work with any Peachtree async USB interfaces, or Ayre/Wavelength for that matter.

Steve N.

audioengr

« Reply #67 on: 1 Jan 2013, 07:46 pm »
Ok How can I make sure it will work....

Determine if the +5V in the cable is necessary for the function of the USB interface.  This is on the website.

Steve N.

path73

« Reply #68 on: 30 Jan 2013, 11:37 pm »

I did make one prototype SB with a 5V power umbilical on it for one customer.  Have not heard back from him though.

Steve N.

Hi,

Steve was very kind to build a "special" SB for me to test with my older Off-Ramp Turbo 2 (I know, I have to try a newer OR-5 someday, but priorities in a family are often on so many other "useful" acquisitions...). So I have tested it by connecting a USB cable to a nettop PC (Shuttle XS35GT) running XP and a laptop MacBook Pro under Win7 (great piece of hardware!). With 5m Belkin gold USB cable I get some detection errors on the laptop, but with a shorter 1.8m it works well. I feed 5V to the small connector at the end of a custom short umbilical on the SB output side using an external power supply with success on the nettop but without success on the laptop (actually the device is in the list but the driver does not load properly). For the laptop, I need to use a USB power only cable (one side USB-A, other side DC-jack) connected to a second USB port of the same laptop in order to have the OR-2 recognized.

After OR-2 detection, I can pull the 5V power cable without major effect on sound quality and it continues to work for a few songs, but when fiddling with playlists under Foobar with different file locations, formats or bit rates at some point the connection gets lost and I have to reconnect the 5V cable and power cycle the OR-2 to get it to reconnect. This connection loss also occurred (although rarely) when the 5V was still connected but in an unpredictable way (I have no clue). When I2S signal is lost, my DAC automatically selects the alternate SPDIF input.

In my setup, using the SB generates a more "relaxed" sound, but the downside is that it doesn't create a totally bullet-proof solution with my OR-2 (read bad WAF when no sound can be heard and read potentially dangerous when the volume knob on the amp gets frenetically turned all the way to max and inadvertently left there...).

Maybe I should mention that I recently discovered the real potential of Steve's Synchro Mesh in my setup (with upgraded power supply and good SPDIF cable) which allows me and my entire family to enjoy first class sound quality from virtually any source including highly functional and ergonomic media center software solutions, simply by re-clocking the TV's optical output (which means no more critical USB connection for audio and its mind-nagging performance sensitivity to USB cable, software player, file format converter, interference from spinning hard disc, CPU load, thread priorities, services running in background, power supply noise, common-mode data noise, etc. that sadly and audibly affects most USB converters and DACs).

Thumbs up, Steve, for a nice solution to a properly identified and unexpected source of jitter, although I wouldn't recommend to add OR-2 to the list of fully compatible devices, even with the custom modification that you so kindly implemented for me.

Best, /patrick
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2013, 12:20 pm by path73 »

rogerdn

« Reply #69 on: 11 Mar 2013, 02:07 am »
Steve do you know if it will work with the PSA PWD II, I can't find anything on their site.

audioengr

« Reply #70 on: 11 Mar 2013, 04:46 am »
Steve do you know if it will work with the PSA PWD II, I can't find anything on their site.

I dont know, sorry.

Steve N.

HumanMedia

« Reply #71 on: 22 Mar 2013, 12:24 pm »

The audiophilleo converter does not use the 5v  from the usb bus anymore if it is powered with PurePower a separate 5V battery feed power  to the AP, that makes it I believe compatible?

Can't help but wonder if this style of ShortBlock improves the AP with PP. Anyone have both to try?
« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2013, 11:32 am by HumanMedia »

Lookin For Treble

« Reply #72 on: 14 Apr 2013, 05:12 pm »
Has anybody used the Short Block with DacMagic Plus?  It's been difficult to get confirmation from Cambridge Audio that it doesn't require the 5V from USB input.

tpaxadpom

« Reply #73 on: 25 Apr 2013, 11:49 pm »
Has anybody used the Short Block with DacMagic Plus?  It's been difficult to get confirmation from Cambridge Audio that it doesn't require the 5V from USB input.
You can easily test yourself if 5V is required for your DAC. Here you can see the image with the pin out. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus Use a little piece of scotch tape to block +5V pin on either side of the cable. If it works without 5V and you hear big improvement, keep the scotch tape there and replace it as needed. This opens a new field for experimentation. Block 5V on A or B side of the cable, perhaps both...  And the best part, it cost you nothing but your time (assuming you already have scotch tape) :D

dan92075

« Reply #74 on: 8 May 2013, 09:48 pm »
I am using a SOTM USB to I2s board.

I tried taping the 5V and it still works - I guess this means its a good candidate for this filter?

Update:  ordered one and excited to try out!
« Last Edit: 18 May 2013, 06:20 pm by dan92075 »

ejlif

« Reply #75 on: 7 Aug 2013, 04:03 pm »
So is there a lot more than just blocking the 5 volt pin as the one guy suggests doing with scotch tape.  Also is the cord flexible so you could turn the to the direction that the cable is coming into the DAC?

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #76 on: 8 Aug 2013, 05:31 am »
Is this something you could use between a Mac Mini and a M2TECH EVO?

Thanks,

Greg

Tom W

« Reply #77 on: 8 Aug 2013, 12:02 pm »
is the cord flexible so you could turn the to the direction that the cable is coming into the DAC?

To me it seems like it's best to run it straight from the DAC with perhaps a small series of bends to make up the height differences between the DAC and the SB. I wouldn't think you would want to put a 90 degree bend in it - but that's me - others might feel differently about it.

If Steve was willing to make you one with a longer cable than perhaps I wouldn't be so hesitant about putting a large bend in it.

jb26

« Reply #78 on: 8 Aug 2013, 12:36 pm »
Does this work with a NAD M51?

audioengr

« Reply #79 on: 8 Aug 2013, 05:27 pm »
Is this something you could use between a Mac Mini and a M2TECH EVO?

Thanks,

Greg

Only if the EVO USB is not powered from the cable voltage.

Steve N.