Any Cone/Dome Speakers VOICED Like VMPS

21stCenturyRedneck

« on: 3 Nov 2003, 05:23 am »
Are there any cone/dome speakers that have similar voicing to VMPS?

I read about someone here saying that he used a Norh center with his VMPS.

Can anyone confirm the Norh's voicing to VMPS or any other speaker brand/models recommendations?.....

Marbles

« Reply #1 on: 3 Nov 2003, 01:06 pm »
I'm currently using a nOrh 9.0 as center with my RM40's.

The 9.0 was rewired with Bolder Nitro cable.  This goes a long way to getting the nOrh close to the RM40's for HT purposes.

Keep in mind that the bass of the 40's is deeper and stronger than the 9.0.  Since I XO the 9.0 at 80 hz this is not a big deal for me.

The 9.0 mates well with DVD's, but not with DVD'A's.  This could be because I have a different IC and speaker wire on it.  In about 2 weeks I will have the same speaker wire to the 9.0 that I have to the 40's.  This should get it closer.  It may also be because most sound comes from my center channel during movies (all channels are output balanced), but is spread more evenly among the front 3 in DVD-A.

Again it is not identicle to the 40's, but as a center channel it is close enough for movies.

Give me another month to get the speaker wire in and broken in, and to give me a chance to get the 40's dialed in and I will give you a better understanding of how close the 9.0 and 40's mate for HT.

If you are looking for a full range pair of speakers, the 9.0's come close, but fall short of the 40's in almost every catagory I can think of.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2003, 06:54 am »
The Boston standmount, 6.5" 2-way, with rosewood cabinets, $1000pr MSRP, I think the model is the VRM-60.  I have thought, since I heard them, they were the second best cone/dome I've heard (best is the $10,000pr Krell LAT-2 standmount).  Very very neutral & smooth, musical.  Voicing very similar to Brian's.  They are the a true audiophile sleeper speaker.