Phono Preamp w/Digital output

mr_bill

Phono Preamp w/Digital output
« on: 21 Feb 2018, 05:33 pm »
Hi,
I'm getting a DirectStream Dac and will now not have a preamp.
Wondering how to play vinyl now.............would need a phono preamp with some type of A/D converter and digital output. 
I've seen the PS Audio Nuwave Phono Converter and that is an option.

Are there other options that you have seen?  A lot of phono preamps now have a USB output (for ripping vinyl) but I don't know if I could hook that USB Digital out into a Dac or if that is a different 'type' of USB output?

neekomax

Re: Phono Preamp w/Digital output
« Reply #1 on: 21 Feb 2018, 05:38 pm »
I started an ADC thread for a similar issue not long ago. There are some recommendations in there that seem worth checking out, price range varies...

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=154907.msg1657183#msg1657183

justauby

« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb 2018, 05:44 pm »
You are basically looking for an ADC.  If you have a Directstream already I'd stay in the PS Audio family.  Schiit Audio has the Jil but I'm not 100% sure you can hook this directly to your dac.

mr_bill

« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2018, 05:51 pm »
There seems to be a lot of budget Phono Pre w/USB out options (so you can hook to computer to record or archive) but I'm not sure you could hook that to a Dac or if that is different.

neekomax

« Reply #4 on: 21 Feb 2018, 06:11 pm »
There seems to be a lot of budget Phono Pre w/USB out options (so you can hook to computer to record or archive) but I'm not sure you could hook that to a Dac or if that is different.

Sure, you can hook up a phono pre with USB to a DAC, provided the DAC has a USB input. Looks like the Directstream does. (I should hope so for the all that cash!).

jtsnead

« Reply #5 on: 21 Feb 2018, 06:49 pm »
I saw somewhere PS Audio might be coming out with a new one in the Stellar line

WC

« Reply #6 on: 21 Feb 2018, 07:10 pm »
http://www.psaudio.com/products/nuwave-phono-converter/

Sticking in the same family. It is even somewhat affordable since it is on closeout.

roscoeiii

« Reply #7 on: 22 Feb 2018, 10:54 pm »
If you are going to be converting to digital eventually, I've heard good things about digital phono amps that handle RIAA correction in the digital domain. M2Tech has or had some models that will do that. And PureVinyl has exhibited at shows with a set-up that does digital RIAA curves. Forget what gear they used for that though.

GregC

« Reply #8 on: 23 Feb 2018, 04:42 am »
The PS Audio Phono Converter on closeout is very good sounding, especially for the money.  It would also be in the same family as your DAC.  It also has a SPDIF output that can be sent directly to your DAC.

If you constrain your choices to phono stages with a digital output you will not have many options.  Alternatively, you could get an analog to digital converter where you connect the analog outputs from a phono stage into an analog to digital converter that converts the signal to a digital output.  You will have more options and not have a ceiling on the audio quality you can obtain. 

For my setup I have an excellent phono stage in my preamp and I have the tape out connected to a Furutech Esprit DAC/ADC/Preamp.  The Esprit allows me to listen as an analog preamp, stream digital USB into my computer for ripping vinyl, stream digital USB out from my computer into the Esprit to listen to audio from my computer, listen through its headphone amp, or listen to two SPDIF digital sources.  All audio outputs are routed through an optical digital output.  In your case the optical out could feed your DAC.  The Esprit has the same ADC chip (Cirrus Logic CS 5361) as the well regarded Lynx HILO converter.

M2Tech Joplin is discontinued but the EVO2 is a replacement.  Channel D makes top quality phono preamps that can output digital with or without RIAA correction.