Cancelled my Tidal subscription

yyz

Re: Cancelled my Tidal subscription
« Reply #60 on: 5 Feb 2018, 04:45 am »
I am a little surprised by this thread. I bought a lifetime membership to ROON (maybe 3 years ago) and have had TIDAL since day 1. Once ROON implemented TIDAL integration there was no way I would every drop TIDAL. I am close to L.A. and can listen to the best analog radio station I ever came across, KCRW.com (on internet). The diversity of music is incredible. I work from home and whenever I hear something great (which is often) i look up the online playlist and then search TIDAL via ROON. A match made in heaven.

I have great connectivity with TIDAL, maybe 99.9999 percent of the time it is up. For me it is not about hi-res, low-res, MQA etc... It is about hearing great music.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #61 on: 5 Feb 2018, 05:02 am »
It's the Tidal search results that I can't stand. I did a simple search for "The Boxer", expecting to come up with Simon and Garfunkel under "TIDAL Tracks". Nope, not even when I clicked "View All". Had to search for Simon and Garfunkel and then sort through to find "The Boxer". I have these issues repeatedly with Tidal, not with other online music services. I keep thinking/hoping *I* screwed up a setting somewhere, but I can't figure out if/how.

yyz

« Reply #62 on: 5 Feb 2018, 05:05 am »
I see. I do agree with you that the search results are not GOOGLEesqu. I tend to listen to complete albums so once I find what I want I forget about the computer interface and get into the music for a long listen.

skunark

« Reply #63 on: 19 Feb 2018, 04:37 am »
I am a little surprised by this thread. I bought a lifetime membership to ROON (maybe 3 years ago) and have had TIDAL since day 1. Once ROON implemented TIDAL integration there was no way I would every drop TIDAL. I am close to L.A. and can listen to the best analog radio station I ever came across, KCRW.com (on internet). The diversity of music is incredible. I work from home and whenever I hear something great (which is often) i look up the online playlist and then search TIDAL via ROON. A match made in heaven.

I have great connectivity with TIDAL, maybe 99.9999 percent of the time it is up. For me it is not about hi-res, low-res, MQA etc... It is about hearing great music.

With the announcement of Best Buy dropping CDs and Target expected to follow their lead, it's sadly going to be difficult to get certain music on CDs let alone an LP, so I am giving Tidal and Roon a go for a year.  Also it's hard to support the local record store when their prices is 2x of amazon and they never seem to have that new release i'm after...

Jim
« Last Edit: 19 Feb 2018, 06:46 am by skunark »

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #64 on: 19 Feb 2018, 04:54 am »
It's the Tidal search results that I can't stand. I did a simple search for "The Boxer", expecting to come up with Simon and Garfunkel under "TIDAL Tracks". Nope, not even when I clicked "View All". Had to search for Simon and Garfunkel and then sort through to find "The Boxer". I have these issues repeatedly with Tidal, not with other online music services. I keep thinking/hoping *I* screwed up a setting somewhere, but I can't figure out if/how.

I'm scratching my head in wonder. I just entered "the boxer" in Tidal and up came Simon & Garfunkel under "tracks" and under "videos". Perhaps there were enough readers of this thread who searched for "the boxer" that Tidal now shows it(?). Dunno.

I have had the premium Tidal membership for nearly two years now. It is well worth my $20 each month.

mav52

« Reply #65 on: 19 Feb 2018, 12:55 pm »
I'm scratching my head in wonder. I just entered "the boxer" in Tidal and up came Simon & Garfunkel under "tracks" and under "videos". Perhaps there were enough readers of this thread who searched for "the boxer" that Tidal now shows it(?). Dunno.

I have had the premium Tidal membership for nearly two years now. It is well worth my $20 each month.

What are you searching for   Tidal gave you everything it could find on "the boxer". not to mention anything in a general search with the word 'boxer', is going to be displayed.    Simon and Garfunkel had a track called 'the boxer'

Are you using the Tidal desktop or another device with its own Tidal supported app ?

dB Cooper

« Reply #66 on: 19 Feb 2018, 01:53 pm »
The interface DOES have issues, some serious. I sometimes  get myself trapped in the useless 'spinning album art' screen and can't get back to grid view (it seems to be a 'one-way door'). Sometimes it won't find something i KNOW is there unless I phrase the search EXACTLY right (It won't parse a search query that is not a verbatim release title). But I put up with it as it's currently the only lossless option in town. Reportedly another (Qobuz) is landing in the spring sometime. We'll see about that one.

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #67 on: 19 Feb 2018, 05:44 pm »
Since TIDAL has been included in default and artist view, I never, and I mean never touch the Tidal app anymore.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #68 on: 19 Feb 2018, 07:35 pm »

What are you searching for   Tidal gave you everything it could find on "the boxer". not to mention anything in a general search with the word 'boxer', is going to be displayed.    Simon and Garfunkel had a track called 'the boxer'

Are you using the Tidal desktop or another device with its own Tidal supported app ?

iPhone app

Actually, in all fairness and now that I consider it, this is all through Roon, so perhaps THAT is the problem.

dB Cooper

« Reply #69 on: 19 Feb 2018, 07:40 pm »
With the announcement of Best Buy dropping CDs and Target expected to follow their lead, it's sadly going to be difficult to get certain music on CDs let alone an LP, so I am giving Tidal and Roon a go for a year.  Also it's hard to support the local record store when their prices is 2x of amazon and they never seem to have that new release i'm after...

Jim

Hadn't heard that. Some people are going to feel the impact. Last time I was in a BestBuy, they still had portable CD players, for $29.00.

I miss record stores (not that BB ever qualified as one especially). Music business sure has changed.

dB Cooper

« Reply #70 on: 19 Feb 2018, 07:44 pm »
iPhone app

Actually, in all fairness and now that I consider it, this is all through Roon, so perhaps THAT is the problem.

I keep hearing great things about Roon, but have been resistant to paying all that money just to have a decent interface, which should be part of the deal with the service IMO.

skunark

« Reply #71 on: 19 Feb 2018, 09:03 pm »
I keep hearing great things about Roon, but have been resistant to paying all that money just to have a decent interface, which should be part of the deal with the service IMO.

Roon is three parts: database server, audio endpoint and a client controller app.  The server doesn't manage any files, just creates a large database of your files and Tidal is just one more source providing a consistent set of metadata per song, artist, etc, hiding duplicates preferring higher quality source.   The endpoints can be the BDP, RPI, airplay, etc and the server can downmix the music files as necessary as it also keeps track of the clients and their abilities, finally the client app can be any computer or mobile device.  There might be some quirks but it's rather impressive that you can play a Tidal song and then queue up your own song, and you can even enable zones for whole house audio.  There's lot going of stuff going behind the scene to make the interface more than a list of tracks and they seem to enabling all sorts of open source and closed source devices.     

Sadly the database server appears to be written in .net/mono so there are some steep hardware requirements for the server, so do the trial run before buying it.  (tip: do not sign up for Tidal over an apple device)

Even if i don't stick with Tidal, I think Roon is worth the money if you have a late model synology/qnap NAS with several devices.  Roon is a whole new level over mPod/mPAD and Soundrok MPD client apps. 

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #72 on: 20 Feb 2018, 04:02 am »
I'd consider using an Intel NUK too. Great device for servers, assuming you are doing your file storing/serving elsewhere. Another option is an older computer... most 5-6 year old computers will make a fine server for Roon, if you have a place to store it.