Affordable Amp Recommendations For 3.7's?

Slapshot

Affordable Amp Recommendations For 3.7's?
« on: 24 May 2015, 04:20 am »
Sometime in the near future. I plan to be picking up a pair of used 3.7's (which I will have upgraded to 3.7i's later on). The question now is what available amplifiers that can drive them well enough to perform optimally are available at a remotely affordable price. Let's say under $3k used. Also, I have been a tube guy for a long time, so I need something that's not overly solid state in it's sound, which can bring some warmth to the 3.7's. I will also be using my PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium tubed preamp to help with that, but obviously, unless you have very deep pockets, there are no tube power amps that are remotely affordable, which can deliver that klnd of power. To this point, assuming I can find them used, which is always in question, this is all that I can find that might do the job for me, any comments or other options would be greatly appreciated:

Audio By Van Alstine - FET Valve 600R Hybrid Design - List $3,200.00
Rogue Medusa - Hybrid Design List - $3,995.00
NewClear NC1000 - ICE design - still on introductory price of $2,950.00

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Affordable Amp Recommendations For 3.7's?
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2015, 11:02 am »
When you're ready, I would be cruising Audiogon and looking at older VTL monoblocks. 
Every once in a while some 250 or 300s pop up which would be in that price range.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2015, 12:59 pm »
Uh oh, now I'm certain that the Slapshot here is a different chap from the Slapshot on the AA. I feel a bit of a fool for my earlier responses in a different thread. This Slapshot must think I'm just certifiable.

---

I used a valve amp (VAC Phi 300.1SE) with my 3.7s - loved the combination, but I wouldn't call it warm. On the other hand, the Pass X350 which the VAC replaced was nearly indistinguishable from its replacement.

They are currently in my daughter's mini-cave, being driven by a Marantz PM-11S1. Given their reputation, one would imagine that an integrated amp with a 100wpc (conservative, in this case) rating would be a poor match for the mid-sized Maggies, but experimentation has proven otherwise.

Frankly, I'd like to try an AVA amp, but I have no personal experience with any of the amps you mentioned.

louie3

« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2015, 01:37 pm »
I use a Quad 909 (slightly massaged) with my ESL 63s and was frankly shocked at how good it sounds with the pair of "faux-Gunned" SMGcs I also have.

Even new, this is well within your budget.   I ran the SMGcs with a pair of Classe DR 8's in mono mode for several years, the 909 sounds far better to me...in my system, in my room.

GT Audio Works

« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2015, 03:11 pm »
Slapshot,
I also have a Primaluna Dialogue preamp and I have come across an excellent amp for magnetic planars made by Paradox based in California.
I have an earlier version called the Peruser.
They are affordable, small,  cool running class AB solid state mono blocks.
They sound absolutely wonderful on my planars.
Of course the Maggies are not as efficient as mine, but I think they would do a great job.
If your interested I can pass along the contact info.
If your anywhere near New Jersey, I would let you borrow mine.
Greg

GT Audio Works

« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2015, 04:00 pm »
One more recommendation...I also have had great results with the Nuprime ST-10.
I have raved about it on this forum under the NuPrime circle., and came very close to buying one.
But fate stepped in and I happened to hear the Paradox only days before I planned on buying the NuPrime.
For $1600 retail the NuPrime is untouchable, but the Paradox is a cut above, of course its more expensive.

Greg

brooklyn

« Reply #6 on: 24 May 2015, 04:42 pm »
Food for thought..

I’m using a Prima Luna Prologue 3 Tube Preamp with Bel Canto Ref 500M Mono’s (500 watts into 4 ohms)
with great results paired with my MMG’s. There not tube amps but they sound awesome with the Magies
and can pack a punch. I bought mine used in your price range a few years back. Bel Canto also has Ref
1000m amps which have even more power. Good luck with your search..

Slapshot

« Reply #7 on: 24 May 2015, 04:42 pm »
Slapshot,
I also have a Primaluna Dialogue preamp and I have come across an excellent amp for magnetic planars made by Paradox based in California.
I have an earlier version called the Peruser.
They are affordable, small,  cool running class AB solid state mono blocks.
They sound absolutely wonderful on my planars.
Of course the Maggies are not as efficient as mine, but I think they would do a great job.
If your interested I can pass along the contact info.
If your anywhere near New Jersey, I would let you borrow mine.
Greg

Greg, unfortunately, I'm not near New Jersey, but thanks for the kind offer. I would appreciate the contact info on the manufacturer of those amps though. Thanks.

Slapshot

« Reply #8 on: 24 May 2015, 04:43 pm »
Uh oh, now I'm certain that the Slapshot here is a different chap from the Slapshot on the AA. I feel a bit of a fool for my earlier responses in a different thread. This Slapshot must think I'm just certifiable.

Maybe not certifiable, but I will admit to being seriously confused! :)

Slapshot

« Reply #9 on: 24 May 2015, 05:32 pm »
I've read a couple comments here in various threads about people who have used NuForce Reference 9 V3 SE Mono Blocks with their 3.7, or other Magnepans and they claim that they were warm and tubelike, which I did not think was their typical character at all. Here are a couple direct quotes from people who posted in the Planar Circle:

"Another amp option would be a used pair of Nuforce model 9se monoblocks.  They are tube like in sound."

"I am using Nuforce Ref 9 SE V3's with my 1.7's and find it a fantastic combo.
With 335W RMS into 4 ohms they provide plenty of grunt for the Maggies."

These have gotten really affordable, has anyone else tried, or heard this combination?

GT Audio Works

« Reply #10 on: 24 May 2015, 06:41 pm »
Greg, unfortunately, I'm not near New Jersey, but thanks for the kind offer. I would appreciate the contact info on the manufacturer of those amps though. Thanks.
First of all, Never say "unfortunately I'm not near NJ"
This is a fortunate thing !!  :lol:

His name is Terence  paradoxent@verizon.net
I believe his current offerings are out of the price range you are looking.
But he has some older models for sale that are quite a bargain and sound awesome.
I also have his interconnects, speaker cable and a modded CD player, that just blow my old gear out of the water.
I highly recommend hearing his amps with his wires too.

If he doesn't reply to you promptly, he is prepping for the Newport show and I imagine is quite busy.

Greg

zuluwarrior0760

« Reply #11 on: 24 May 2015, 08:56 pm »
I have tried both tube and ss on 3.7s and by a very wide
margin, I prefer a tube preamp and a very muscular ss amp....

I currently use Bryston 7BSST2's on Magnepan's recommendation
and they are absolutely wonderful with 3.7s

I briefly tried swappin in Manley Neo 250s and the results
were such that the Manley's were back in the cartons in an hour.......

The only amp I would consider beyond these 7s are the 28bsst2's.....

Smaller stereo Brystons give similar results........you will hear Magnepan
show their speakers both at the factory and on the show circuit
with Bryston very frequently.......

srb

« Reply #12 on: 24 May 2015, 09:19 pm »
His name is Terence  paradoxent@verizon.net
If he doesn't reply to you promptly, he is prepping for the Newport show and I imagine is quite busy.

Is it possible to be in business and a vendor at a trade show (in 2015) without a website?

Steve

GT Audio Works

« Reply #13 on: 24 May 2015, 09:37 pm »
Is it possible to be in business and a vendor at a trade show (in 2015) without a website?

Steve
Terence also has an affiliation with Perla Audio which he will be with at the Newport show.
Why he does not have a separate website for his Paradox products I do not know.
http://www.perlaaudio.com/#!newport-show-2015/csvg

twitch54

« Reply #14 on: 2 Jul 2015, 05:37 pm »
Rogue M-180's (used) would fit within your budget.

*Scotty*

« Reply #15 on: 2 Jul 2015, 09:23 pm »
The OP should probably look at the offerings from Klaus at Odyessy Audio
http://www.odysseyaudio.com/
Scotty

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #16 on: 2 Jul 2015, 10:52 pm »
I second the AVA 600R.  I use a 400R for my 1.7s.  For the 3.7s I would get the extra power.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #17 on: 2 Jul 2015, 11:43 pm »
I'm probably in the minority in saying that hundreds of watts to drive maggies is in the "nice to have" not "must have".  But in my case I use a 125WPC CJ 125SA+ tube amp to run my 1.7's.  Formerly a CJ MV75A1 (75WPC) which might have been slightly underpowered.  Unless your going to listen very loud, I just don't see the need.

So I'd say if you like tube amps, get a tube amp that you can afford, preferably in the 100WPC+ range.  Used Rogues, VTLs, Cary's and even some CJ's (Premier 12 mono blocks) in or about that $3K budget should be doable. I personally think even a new Rogue Stereo 100 ($3500) would do the job. 

I've tried some Class D stuff including Bel Canto's, and while some were pretty good (e.g. the Ref 500m's previously mentioned), I still wouldn't give up the CJ tube magic w/ my maggies. 

steve f

« Reply #18 on: 5 Jul 2015, 07:31 pm »
I'm going to join in recommending a solid state power amp with a tube preamp. Maggie's are all about current. How about, in no particular order, ATI, Odyssey, and the surprising good Crown XLS series? I've had tube amps I've loved, but here is where transistors shine.

steve

ajzepp

« Reply #19 on: 16 Jul 2015, 05:33 am »
Butler Audio 2250. Mr Butler used to run Maggie demo rooms with Jim Winey...Maggies and Butler amps are an amazing pairing.