GR Reseach Open Baffle Servo Subs

faxer

GR Reseach Open Baffle Servo Subs
« on: 25 Jan 2015, 04:02 pm »

Just wanted 2 thank Danny for all his help in privoding us with all his assisstance in building these servo open baffle woofers to mate with our BG Radia 880 speakers.
If you are on Long Island these subs and this system is a must hear.   

bdp24

Re: GR Reseach Open Baffle Servo Subs
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2015, 01:01 pm »
Great combination!

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2015, 02:44 pm »
Those look marvelous  :thumb:, I kinda wish I would have built trips instead of duals now  :duh:

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jan 2015, 04:52 pm »
 :o
I can't even imagine triples!  My duals are plenty impressive and are probably too much for my modest apartment.  I guess if you have a decent sized room... :icon_twisted:

nickd

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jan 2015, 05:19 pm »
Those 880' and subs must really be sweet. :green:

After reading your post, I have decided to complete my OB subs (dual 12's). They will provide the slam for my BG Radia 420 FS. The 420 FS only weak spot is the bass. After owning the Super V, I really miss that tight, deep OB bass.

faxer

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jan 2015, 07:18 pm »
The room is 27x16 and opens up to another room

They can be built using Wilson Art sheets of Aluminum available in different colors,

nickd

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jan 2015, 08:45 pm »
looking into the Wilson Art Aluminum products (would be a nice kitchen back splash too). What tool and method is recommended to cut it with a clean edge?

bdp24

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jan 2015, 03:12 am »
The room is 27x16 and opens up to another room

They can be built using Wilson Art sheets of Aluminum available in different colors,

Wow, the frames look pretty shallow. What are they, about 12" deep?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 28 Jan 2015, 08:40 pm »
Drivers, flat packs and tools for two 3x8" servo woofer H Frames from Danny and Ruben are here and ready for assembly.  HX300 amps are already installed with the other OB speakers.

Will post pictures of them as I do the glue-up and assembly. 

SoCalWJS

« Reply #9 on: 28 Jan 2015, 10:19 pm »
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

playntheblues

« Reply #10 on: 29 Jan 2015, 12:37 am »

Here are a couple of photos of my H frames from Ruben.  Still in progress.

playntheblues

« Reply #11 on: 29 Jan 2015, 12:38 am »

I had to paint and re sand about 5 times to get it right  :duh:  Not sure where this was in the process

playntheblues

« Reply #12 on: 29 Jan 2015, 12:41 am »

touched up the bottoms and installed the feet tonight.  this way I will quit scratching up the bottoms  :o
Will do some final touch ups tomorrow night waiting for magnets to install grills.  Magnets should be here next Tuesday.
I will post more pictures as we finish.

bdp24

« Reply #13 on: 5 Feb 2015, 06:21 pm »
What I do for keeping the bottom of speakers clean is put hex-head bolts in the threaded inserts of the speakers until they are in their final position. I then remove the bolts and screw in the spikes. This works well for hollow metal equipment stands as well. Fill the hollow tubes with sand and screw in the bolts, replacing them with spikes when your stand's location has been determined. Saves wear & tear on your speakers, stands, spikes, and floors (not to mention fingers!).

vinylphobia

• US Distribution
    • Believe High Fidelity
« Reply #14 on: 9 Feb 2015, 09:06 pm »
subscribed

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #15 on: 9 Feb 2015, 09:28 pm »
Sometimes in audiophiledom we like something better because it's a different flavor.  But sometimes we like something because it is just flat out better.  The GR Research/Rythmik OB Servo subs are just flat out better than any other bass system out there.  And yeah, I'm including Infinite Baffle and Swarm implementations in that assessment. 

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #16 on: 9 Feb 2015, 11:07 pm »
It's been probably 8 years since I was in Danny's living room when he was working on the original V1 speaker.  At the time, I told him I'd never heard a speaker actually sound like the bass of a 9' concert grand piano.  The servos did.  It's just better than other systems (although the bass of my LS9s is really close).

Early B.

« Reply #17 on: 9 Feb 2015, 11:18 pm »
The GR Research/Rythmik OB Servo subs are just flat out better than any other bass system out there.   

Agreed. Any other sub just sounds like fake bass.

2bigears

« Reply #18 on: 10 Feb 2015, 01:11 am »
 :D   i'll second and third the motion.... i was going to sell my 3.6's and live with boxes....  the i put the bottom of my Super V's with
            them and 'magic' ,,,, i can live with this sound ,,,, i think for a while.    OB bass rocks and i mean totally good stuff.... :D

ebag4

« Reply #19 on: 10 Feb 2015, 01:48 am »
Sometimes in audiophiledom we like something better because it's a different flavor.  But sometimes we like something because it is just flat out better.  The GR Research/Rythmik OB Servo subs are just flat out better than any other bass system out there.  And yeah, I'm including Infinite Baffle and Swarm implementations in that assessment. 
+4 :thumb:.  No reason to look further, outstanding.