DAC recommendations/experiences with Omega Loudspeakers

Dave Jameson

Hi all,

I often come across threads and posts about which amp and speaker wire combination is best suited for an Omega (or Hoyt Bedford) speaker and I can't help but think we've all forgotten about the importance of the quality of the source. Let's forget the analogue vs digital debate for now and focus on DACs (Digital to Analogue Converters for those who are new to hifi). It seems to me that a lot of AudioCircle members and Omega owners are pretty literate with the new digital revolution and I suspect we all have some invaluable insight to offer.

So far, with the Omega Super 3XRS and Hoyt Bedford 1.5, my favourite has been the Simaudio Neo380D with their MiND streamer built in. The sound was rich throughout the midband, very extended and sweet up top (I think this is where a lot of systems miss-step with the Super 3XRS, imo). I've also had the pleasure to listen to the Wavelength Audio Cosecant 32 bit DAC. It was very fast and not as "tube like" in my system as many would expect. Definitely super dynamic! :) The Sim Neo 380D was probably a little sweeter if not quite as open sounding in comparison.

Oh and while we're at it, computer music player program recommendations are always helpful too :)

Have at it boys and girls!

DJ

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: DAC recommendations/experiences with Omega Loudspeakers
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2014, 05:03 pm »
I went from Schiit Bifrost to a Sony HAP-Z1ES music server and the Sony makes the Bifrost sound kinda Schitty in comparison but it's also 4x the price. I doubt you'll find a better bang for the buck than the Sony as it doesn't require a computer to run server software or need a USB cable.

The Omega speakers can produce world-class results but they need a world-class source and everything else to do it, GIGO...   :green:

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2014, 06:14 pm »
My reference DAC has been and still is the Peter Daniel NOS non-filtered Phillips TDA1543 based USB DAC.  It is hand made in Canada and built like an Omega speaker.  It follows the 47 Lab way of thinking.  It's sound is analog, warm and full, 3 dimensional, detailed, with a lot of weight.  It works well with any Omega or Hoyt Bedford, new and old.  I have run it with SET, PP, gain clone, discrete A/B, and MOSFET, all with great results.

Running a second to the Peter Daniel and about half the price, is the KingRex UD01 USB DAC with PSU MKII and XLR power connection.  If I wanted T-Bone steak sound on a hamburger budget, this is what I would seriously consider.

Some people may think I am a member of the flat earth society but no DACs I have heard (or even CD players) do 16/44 (which makes up about 95% of digital music available today) like these DACs.

Almost all my impressions of these DACs have been through highly resolved systems using Omega or Hoyt-Bedford Speakers.

My music players are iTunes and Pure Music on a MacBook that is configured for playing music and nothing else.

Dave Jameson

« Reply #3 on: 1 Nov 2014, 04:33 am »
I had the chance to listen to the Sony HAP-Z1ES at the SSI 2014 in the Sony room...so with all Sony gear! I was shocked! Seems to be a very friendly and excellent sounding product.

DaveC113, would you say the HAP-Z1ES is tonally dense with Omegas? Getting those single drivers to sound as big as a 3-way speaker isn't easy, so would you say the Sony allows for a bigger--more phase coherent--sound and soundstage? This was another area where I found Simaudio's Neo380D to excell.

I want to say the reason people shy away from digital (and solid state amps, for that matter) is because a lot of DACs on the market are not phase coherent and sound "glassy". Again, not something I, albeit briefly, experienced with the Sony. For those unaware, a crossover-less speaker like an Omega has no way of hiding phase incoherencies in either the recording or electronics and will simply sound bad.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 1 Nov 2014, 05:50 am »
For those unaware, a crossover-less speaker like an Omega has no way of hiding phase incoherencies in either the recording or electronics and will simply sound bad.
I totally agree.  Omegas and Hoyts reveal everything up line; from amps, sources, cabling, and AC power, and yes, on the downside (if you can call it that) they will not gloss over a poor recording either.  On the upside, if you are into tube rolling, the tube changes can be very noticeable.

guillaume bougard

« Reply #5 on: 1 Nov 2014, 03:22 pm »
Rob

can you post a link to the Peter Daniel NOS non-filtered Phillips TDA1543 based USB DAC. I cant seem to find it for some reason

thank you in advance

Nocturne79

« Reply #6 on: 1 Nov 2014, 04:20 pm »
I use a Van Alstine vision hybrid dac with my omegas and I love it.  I only have this dac so no other one that I can compare it too.

rodge827

« Reply #7 on: 1 Nov 2014, 04:29 pm »
I had the Audio Note Kits Dac 2.1b Sig. with my Omega XRS Alnico 8 speakers, and with other speakers. Unfortunately I had to sell the dac due to an unexpected financial need. :duh: Wish I still had it!  :cry:  If your not into building one Digital Pete will at a reasonable price.

Chris

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 1 Nov 2014, 04:43 pm »
Rob

can you post a link to the Peter Daniel NOS non-filtered Phillips TDA1543 based USB DAC. I cant seem to find it for some reason

thank you in advance
Hello Guillaume,

To my knowledge the Peter Daniel (Audio Sector) DAC is no longer available.  For a few years he offered them as a basic kit where one added their own power supply, casework, etc.  He also built some himself complete, using higher grade parts such as Black Gate caps instead of the stock Panasonic.  My DAC is one built by him with the higher grade parts and first rate casework (see pictures).

This link http://www.audio-zone.ca/dac.html is to the Audio Zone DAC 1 which I have also had, and it may still be available.  If I had no Peter Daniel DAC, I would have this one.  Peter provided the guts to Audio Zone who put them into their own casework.  It uses the Panasonic CAPS and standard parts, but is still a killer piece.  Six Moons reviewed it, and the reviewer bought the review sample - better than a Blue Moon award.  Even though the Audio Zone website doesn't show it, the DAC 1 can be ordered with USB input.

You might also check Canuck Audio Mart or Audiogon for used ones.

Audio Sector DAC

« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2015, 12:47 am by Canada Rob »

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #9 on: 1 Nov 2014, 05:11 pm »
I had the chance to listen to the Sony HAP-Z1ES at the SSI 2014 in the Sony room...so with all Sony gear! I was shocked! Seems to be a very friendly and excellent sounding product.

DaveC113, would you say the HAP-Z1ES is tonally dense with Omegas? Getting those single drivers to sound as big as a 3-way speaker isn't easy, so would you say the Sony allows for a bigger--more phase coherent--sound and soundstage? This was another area where I found Simaudio's Neo380D to excell.

It's pretty amazing and could probably go up against many DACs in the under $5k range. I also had an Auralic Vega DAC ($3500) to test and the Sony is just as good. My system is single ended and the Vega will sound better balanced so if you convert the Vega's balanced to single ended using a trafo you'll get better results but now it's 2x+ the cost of the Sony, a computer and USB cable are still required. It's pretty hard to fault the Sony in any way except when I first got it it had a very accurate SS sound, not in a bad way, but the last couple firmware upgrades have made it sound very natural and more relaxed... it's hard to tell what the output stage is now, could be a very good tube or SS, you wouldn't know until you look. It's dual mono and the separation and imaging are far better then the Bifrost it replaced, the Sony makes the Omegas throw a huge soundstage and imaging is very precise. I think the last firmware upgrades are providing a similar sound to the tube output stages developed by Red Wine and Modwright, at first I could see using a tube output stage but now it's very close to perfect and i have no plans to upgrade it at all.

guillaume bougard

« Reply #10 on: 2 Nov 2014, 09:58 am »
thanks Rob for this link to the AudioZone site. Reading the reviews, you would think this is a sect of fanatical devotees. If I didnt have to pay for tuition, I might jump and get a system from them. Their units look very nice too.

Has anyone on this forum used their preamps/amps with Omega speakers to listen to Dub or Roots Reggae or Disco and Funk?

ZLS

« Reply #11 on: 2 Nov 2014, 05:57 pm »
    I use a Scott Nixon DAC with very good results. 

"Has anyone on this forum used their preamps/amps with Omega speakers to listen to Dub or Roots Reggae or Disco and Funk?"

I play Disco, Funk, Latin Funk, Zydeco, House, all to good effect. 

Omega Speakers make it easy to follow the rhythm of the Music.

beowulf

« Reply #12 on: 2 Nov 2014, 09:04 pm »
I've used a both a Rega DAC and McIntosh D100 with my Omega RS7. 

The Rega DAC makes things warm and cuddly and does not have the best retrieval of information, but its musical and forgiving on bad recordings.  The weakness of this DAC is that it can only do 24/96 resolution via USB, thus if wanting to play higher res files you need to use a USB/SPDIF converter (I use the Musical Fidelity V-Link 192 with it).  IMO Rega lacks behind in their tech for DACs and there are better choices out there for the money.  For instance they are releasing a new DAC that finally can play asynchronous 192 files via USB (which was already common to other vendor's DACs prior to releasing their first DAC).  Now they are just releasing a 192 asynch version, but it can't do anything other than play 192 files and which most recently released DACs out there on the market are already playing DSD and DXD with being capable of even a lot higher sample rates.  I realize that there's not much out there at that resolution at this time, but it's not really ready for the future.

The D100 is better at detail retrieval and more accurate, yet also very musical and IMO the analog section is excellent with the best out there at it's price level.  The D100 can also be used as a Preamp (if you don't have any analog sources) as well as it comes with a remote and has enough inputs for most people's digital needs (it even makes cable TV sound good).  If I had to say it has one weakness, I think they should have implemented at least one fully analog input (for us vinyl guys), I think this would have been a product of the year if they had done that.

They both have their strengths, but I much prefer the D100 as I like all the inner detail and resolution retrieval it provides, it's flexibility and much more refined sound, but it retails at 2x the price of the Rega so it should be better.
« Last Edit: 27 Jan 2015, 07:41 am by beowulf »

Hank Murrow

« Reply #13 on: 2 Nov 2014, 11:05 pm »
Omega fans seeking DAC bliss; Check out the Bottlehead DAC which is being crowd-funded at the BH site.

http://bottlehead.com/product/bottlehead-dac/

The first forty units are underway, and the process is explained in some detail at the BH site. I have mine on order and should see it early in January. Will report on sound then, via my re-drivered Super 5's.

Cheers, Hank

FireGuy

« Reply #14 on: 3 Nov 2014, 12:01 am »
Omega fans seeking DAC bliss; Check out the Bottlehead DAC which is being crowd-funded at the BH site.

http://bottlehead.com/product/bottlehead-dac/

The first forty units are underway, and the process is explained in some detail at the BH site. I have mine on order and should see it early in January. Will report on sound then, via my re-drivered Super 5's.

Cheers, Hank

Hank - I'm a little curious...on the re-driver (Super 5's),  you changed from the RS5?

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 3 Nov 2014, 04:51 pm »
Hank - I'm a little curious...on the re-driver (Super 5's),  you changed from the RS5?
The Super 5 Monitor had the HempCone driver.  Hank re-drivered his Super 5s with the RS5, essentially updating his speakers to Super 3U status.

Nailbunny7

« Reply #16 on: 5 Nov 2014, 05:17 pm »
I'm really holding out for the Schiit Yggdrasil. I love closed form R2R DACs like some of the super high end ones from the 90s, especially when they aren't priced over 10k (I think MSRP will be about 2-2.3k on the Yggdrasil, which is a bargain, especially considering the technology is way better than it was in the 90s).

guillaume bougard

« Reply #17 on: 28 Nov 2014, 03:36 pm »
Canada Rob:

I'm getting back to you on the AudioZone DAC. I should have checked earlier, but didnt pay attention I guess. I read that it's capable of handling 32, 44, 48kHz files. What happens when it is fed with files with higher khz, like 96, or 192kHz files?

And what about 24bit files, which are often used for hi-rez audio stuff?

Would one need to re-encode such files down to 44-16 to be playable through this DAC? Which would be a bummer and a huge waste of time to re-encode...

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 28 Nov 2014, 07:22 pm »
Canada Rob:

I'm getting back to you on the AudioZone DAC. I should have checked earlier, but didnt pay attention I guess. I read that it's capable of handling 32, 44, 48kHz files. What happens when it is fed with files with higher khz, like 96, or 192kHz files?

And what about 24bit files, which are often used for hi-rez audio stuff?

Would one need to re-encode such files down to 44-16 to be playable through this DAC? Which would be a bummer and a huge waste of time to re-encode...
The Audio Zone DAC 1 will play any resolution file, it will just down sample it to the lower resolution. 

I like this DAC for these reasons:
1) How well it does CD quality files - better than any digital source I have heard. 
2) 16/44 still makes up the vast (and most affordable) majority of digital music on the market.
3) With CD quality streaming services beginning to show up, this DAC makes more sense than ever before.

However.....Resonessnce Labs has sent me a Herus+ and Concero HD to try out.  Maybe they will topple the Audio Zone DAC 1 (and my very similar Audio Sector DAC) from it's podium.  So far no DAC I have tried has, but that could change.  Stay tuned.

guillaume bougard

« Reply #19 on: 28 Nov 2014, 07:45 pm »
ok, so as long as it does not become silent when encountering higher rez files than 44/16, and I can hear music, I guess that's cool!
Thanks CR