SP3 Questions

Ned F. Kuehn

SP3 Questions
« on: 27 Aug 2015, 04:17 pm »
I just took delivery of the Bryston SP3. Very nice sound processor. I have a few questions that I cannot seem to find that perhaps someone might be able to lend assistance on.

1) Is there a document or manual that describes all the functions in the Source Setup Menu? The manual (including the one on line) is rather incomplete. The SP3 has the latest firmware.

2) The remote volume control is very insensitive. A single push moves volume up by 2dB; however if I do a quick push up and then down it will then advance volume but 1dB. Is there an adjustment to allow for a 0.5dB increase or decrease in volume. Or is my remote faulty. All other remotes I have used will advance volume by the smallest increment (like using the physical volume control on the unit itself), whereas depressing the remote button continuously advance the volume at a faster rate.

3) My BDP-2 is connected to the SP-3. When switching from a 44.1 to 88.2 or higher resolution file, there is a garbled sound for the first second or so as the SP3 is trying to lock on the higher resolution file. The same will occur when listening to a 96 and then moving to a higher resolution file (176.4 or 192). Is there a setting for a slight delay so that a lock can be established before the file plays. The BDP-2 has the new audio card installed. This occurs with both SPDIF and AES/EBU digital inputs.

Thanks in advance for any insight on the above.
Ned

BSMSPEMBA

Re: SP3 Questions
« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2015, 05:40 pm »
2) The remote volume control is very insensitive. A single push moves volume up by 2dB; however if I do a quick push up and then down it will then advance volume but 1dB. Is there an adjustment to allow for a 0.5dB increase or decrease in volume. Or is my remote faulty. All other remotes I have used will advance volume by the smallest increment (like using the physical volume control on the unit itself), whereas depressing the remote button continuously advance the volume at a faster rate.

I use a Harmony remote.  It does 0.5 dB changes to volume with short clicks.  Holding down the button on the remote is like pressing on the accelerator of a car.  It will speed up (increase) the incremental size of the volume change.  In other words, the SP3 is fully capable of finer volume adjustments, but it depends on the remote being used.

3) My BDP-2 is connected to the SP-3. When switching from a 44.1 to 88.2 or higher resolution file, there is a garbled sound for the first second or so as the SP3 is trying to lock on the higher resolution file. The same will occur when listening to a 96 and then moving to a higher resolution file (176.4 or 192). Is there a setting for a slight delay so that a lock can be established before the file plays. The BDP-2 has the new audio card installed. This occurs with both SPDIF and AES/EBU digital inputs.

I experience the same issue.  When my BDP-2 plays files with different resolutions, the SP3 takes a moment to adjust to the change.  This results in a cutout of sound or garble.  To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to address this.  The BDPs are designed to play immediately, so they will work with gapless tracks.  As a result, it is the SP3, or any other DAC, that has to instantly change based on the input resolution. 

I notice the same "issue" via HDMI and Blu-ray disks on my OPPO player.  It happens when the soundtrack switches from standard Dolby 5.1 to Dolby TrueHD or DTD-HD Mast Audio.  Sometimes the change results in a moment of silence.  Sometimes it is a pretty loud/bad pop/click.

brucek

« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2015, 09:55 pm »

Thanks in advance for any insight on the above.
Ned

The SP2 added an Infra-red Remote Code that was pretty much a solution to what you're experiencing with your SP3. I found it invaluable in forcing the processor to delay any signal from being processed (on each specific source) before it tried to lock on. The documentation from Bryston was weak on it, but when you entered code 093 (mute,save,dolby) on the remote, the processor display showed 0.5 seconds. Each successive code 093 entered increased the delay (on that source) by 0.5 seconds, up to a maximum of 3.0 (which is really long). After 3.0 seconds, the delay returned to 0.0 seconds, which was a useful delay when you knew that the signal didn't require a delay.

Check and see if your SP3 uses this delay code.

brucek

Ned F. Kuehn

« Reply #3 on: 1 Sep 2015, 04:51 pm »
The SP2 added an Infra-red Remote Code that was pretty much a solution to what you're experiencing with your SP3. I found it invaluable in forcing the processor to delay any signal from being processed (on each specific source) before it tried to lock on. The documentation from Bryston was weak on it, but when you entered code 093 (mute,save,dolby) on the remote, the processor display showed 0.5 seconds. Each successive code 093 entered increased the delay (on that source) by 0.5 seconds, up to a maximum of 3.0 (which is really long). After 3.0 seconds, the delay returned to 0.0 seconds, which was a useful delay when you knew that the signal didn't require a delay.

Check and see if your SP3 uses this delay code.

brucek

I will give that a try and report back. Thanks!

Ned F. Kuehn

« Reply #4 on: 1 Sep 2015, 05:01 pm »
I have one additional question. Although I generally listen to music in stereo, I occasionally like to listen in surround (7.0). Files up to 96 kHz will play in PLIIx 7.0 surround mode, but higher resolution files of 176.4 and 192 kHz will not using PLIIx. The higher resolution files are limited to PLIIXx stereo 2.0. Is this a limitation of the SP3? I cannot seem to find anything specifically mentioning this possible limitation.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #5 on: 1 Sep 2015, 06:54 pm »
I have one additional question. Although I generally listen to music in stereo, I occasionally like to listen in surround (7.0). Files up to 96 kHz will play in PLIIx 7.0 surround mode, but higher resolution files of 176.4 and 192 kHz will not using PLIIx. The higher resolution files are limited to PLIIXx stereo 2.0. Is this a limitation of the SP3? I cannot seem to find anything specifically mentioning this possible limitation.

This is the limitation due to the speed of the digital signal processing subsystem.  Multichannel sources in PCM 192k will play but the speaker downmixing (and bass management) is limited in such a cases. 

The only algorithms that will work with PCM 2.0  176.4k and 192k inputs are "pass thru", STEREO and STEREO7X (this is 2.1 mapped over all 7.1 speakers).   Dolby ProLogic IIx and DTS Neo6 algorithms will restrict to 2.1 output but you will get bass crossed-over correctly into subwoofer output  (if you are using small speakers).

A work-around is to lower the following parameter to 96k: 
SOURCE SETUP-->OTHER-->D/A SAMP MAX=96k (default is 192k, this setting is per source)
This will limit an internal output signal processing to 96k allowing Dolby and DTS algorithms to recreate 7.1 surround channels out of the 192k sources.

Stan

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #6 on: 10 Oct 2015, 11:32 am »
Chessman's

I purchased the SP3 some time back, but one thing or another delayed my installation until last week. Most of this post is a rave, but I have to join the chorus of complainers about the manual - it just sucks.

I have manually set up Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, Sherbourn and Emotiva pre/pros and receivers. I can run XTZ room testing. I was still confused needlessly at one juncture after another setting up the SP3. The most frustrating thing is that the information is actually between the covers of the manual, but finding it is sometimes a treasure hunt.

On to happier news. The sound this unit puts out is simply glorious. Dialog is ultra clear. Movie sound tracks are rendered in amazing detail. Music is Class A bliss. My Silenzio/Esoteric K-01 source is better than the Oppo/SP3 source, but not by as much as I expected.

If you are building a hybrid two channel/home theater rig the SP3 is the answer to your prayers. It is an outstanding pre-amp for two channel. It is an outstanding processor for home theater. It allows tremendously flexible bass control. It allows you to configure sources separately.

One of the best features is the distance setting range for subwoofers. My speakers are in a 9 foot circle around the listening position in a 7.1 configuration. The sub dedicated to redirected bass and LFE is also actually 9 feet away, but per a tip from Barry Ober (JL Audio/The Sound Doctor) I set the distance at 21 feet in the processor. The 12 millisecond gain puts the impulse wave of the sub in perfect timing with the speakers. The result is astonishing!

Bottom line: I am thrilled with this upgrade.

Randy (1158) - Wilson Sophia 2; BAT VK-600SE, BAT VK-52SE, Esoteric K-01; JL Audio F113 x3; Sound Anchor Stands; Exact Power EP-15 and SP-15; Oppo BDP-83 SE; Bryston SP3; Emotiva MPS-1; Marantz VP-15S front projector; 92" Stewart Firehawk; Rocket 200, 300, 750; ASC Tube Traps; WireWorld Silver Electra 5^2 PC's, Silver Eclipse 6 IC's and Silver Eclipse 6 SC's; Shunyata Hydra 6/Black Mamba CX-HC and Shunyata MPC-12/Venom HC power distribution and conditioning; Stillpoints Ultra 5, Ultra SS and Mini isolation; Clearaudio Concept (MC) turntable; PS Audio GCPH phono stage; Bryston 10B-SUB active cross-over; Sonos streaming; W4S Remedy upsample and clock; Silenzio media server

BSMSPEMBA

« Reply #7 on: 12 Oct 2015, 06:42 pm »
James, I would like to thank you for your transparency in posting the last note/review.  Many people would have edited it to leave out the critical feedback.  You continue to impress me with your approach of sharing information and serving your customers by having wide open dialogues with us.

Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving

avsdeals

• I can never make up my mind ...
« Reply #8 on: 13 Nov 2015, 12:28 am »
Barry Ober is one of the most knowledgeable people I've ever spoken with when it comes to truly phasing a sub woofer. I have my SP3 set for 17ft. Fronts at 7ft. My JL's F110's are BOTH at zero phasing. They are spot on. I plug the bass ports on my B&W 803D's and the definition is just astounding. CrossOver is 50hz. NO loss in detail. Upright bass and kick drum are seamless. Then I jump from jazz to blues and the bass rattles your teeth STILL will superb detail. I bought 2 of his alignment CD's. Just pay the 20 bux and buy it. :thumb: