How do I wire my amp to my VMPS New Larger Sub?

714shane

How do I wire my amp to my VMPS New Larger Sub?
« on: 28 May 2011, 08:09 am »
Hi all, I just got my first VMPS sub tonight and trying to figure out how to wire it correctly. If anyone can point me in the right, or best direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Here is the amp and sub Im working with.

New Larger Sub with megawoofer 12, im not sure if the 15 is the mega as it does not have the carbon fiber look like the 12. Both woofers have phase plugs.

Samson S700 2 channel amp rated at 350x2 into 4ohms or 700x1 into 8ohms. This amp is not stable under 4ohms.

I bought this sub and amp on craigslist. The original owner says he wired it in series or parallel (he was not sure). In order to find out if it is series I am trying to remove the woofers and PR but they are really hard to get out of the box. I read that gravity may help with the removal, so im letting the PR set unscrewed overnight.

What is the best way to wire the sub? I wanted to just wire each channel to its own sub, and run it in "stereo" at 350 watts each. I mentioned this to the original owner and he told me the amp would fry. Should I just make sure the sub is wired in series, bridge the amp, and hit them at 700 watts at 8ohms? What route sounds best?

Are both the 12 and 15 rated at 4ohms each?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
Re: How do I wire my amp to my VMPS New Larger Sub?
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2011, 06:51 pm »
With a stereo amp, it is best to drive each woofer individually.  Each driver is an 8 Ohm load.  You will need an electronic crossover of some sort.  If you want to replace or upgrade any of the woofers or PR, these are available.

714shane

« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2011, 07:15 pm »
Thanks Brian. I wired each channel to each sub and it sounds good. The manual for the amp shows 230 wpc @ 8 ohms so this looks safe. Not sure why the original owner was saying the amp would fry wired this way. Thanks for the help! Great forum you have here.

-Shane

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2011, 07:29 pm »
Using one amp channel per driver is actually the safest way to use the Larger, since the amp sees dual 8 Ohm loads.  230W is plenty of power.