BG Neo8 and Possibly Other Drivers to be Available Again

Syrah

Re: BG Neo8 and Possibly Other Drivers to be Available Again
« Reply #140 on: 7 Dec 2016, 01:51 am »
Oh, oh.  Did I want open back or closed back or closed for N3 speakers?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #141 on: 7 Dec 2016, 01:58 am »
Mine were the deep cup Neo3's for my N2X.

Syrah

« Reply #142 on: 7 Dec 2016, 02:04 am »
I only see deep cup with the "W" version not the "PDR".  I think I need one of the mounts too, plus I recall one of their standard boxes work.  Maybe that was a bit hasty...

Danny Richie

« Reply #143 on: 7 Dec 2016, 03:27 pm »
For all of the kits we offer you'll need the Neo 3 pdr with a deep back cup. I do have about a dozen deep back cups in stock that can be put on them if the deep back cup version is unavailable. Be sure to get them with face plates too.

Syrah

« Reply #144 on: 7 Dec 2016, 10:18 pm »
It looks like only "open back" and "back cup" are available but not "deep back" in the PDR version.  Which one is best for a pair of N3S'?

"Flush Mount" or "Surface Mount" faceplates?

Plus you can use these cabinets for them too right? - https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-mtmc-075ch-075-cu-ft-mtm-curved-speaker-cabinet-cherry--302-743

Thanks.

Captainhemo

« Reply #145 on: 8 Dec 2016, 01:38 am »
It looks like only "open back" and "back cup" are available but not "deep back" in the PDR version.  Which one is best for a pair of N3S'?

"Flush Mount" or "Surface Mount" faceplates?

Plus you can use these cabinets for them too right? - https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-mtmc-075ch-075-cu-ft-mtm-curved-speaker-cabinet-cherry--302-743

Thanks.

The flush mount would be the ones with the  counter sunk face plate like Danny's N-Series speakers all use.

jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #146 on: 9 Dec 2016, 01:30 am »
For any of you guys that are able to get your hands on some Neo 3 pdr's, you will need the flush mount face plates for our kits. And I'll send you some deep back cups for them along with the kits that you order. So you guys can just call to order any of the kits minus the tweeters.

Ric Schultz

« Reply #147 on: 9 Dec 2016, 04:40 am »
Danny,
Why don't you buy some of the tweeters and faceplates yourself and then you can make a little money on the Parts Express wholesale to retail and customers don't have to source the tweeters separately and the deep back cups will already be mounted.  They pay less for shipping and you make a little money and they get the whole thing together.

Danny Richie

« Reply #148 on: 9 Dec 2016, 03:31 pm »
Danny,
Why don't you buy some of the tweeters and faceplates yourself and then you can make a little money on the Parts Express wholesale to retail and customers don't have to source the tweeters separately and the deep back cups will already be mounted.  They pay less for shipping and you make a little money and they get the whole thing together.

Yep, planning on it.

And then I might just buy a bunch of face plates as I have new tweeters in the works.

Syrah

« Reply #149 on: 9 Dec 2016, 03:47 pm »
Will your new tweeters be better than or equal to the Neo 3s?  What's their ETA?

Danny Richie

« Reply #150 on: 10 Dec 2016, 04:56 pm »
Will your new tweeters be better than or equal to the Neo 3s?  What's their ETA?

The frames are the same so they are drop in replacements physically. The diaphragms are the same also, and they measure just like the custom Neo 3's the were made for Serenity Acoustics. But the terminals are high purity Copper and Gold coated (not Tin).

I'll post and ETA as soon as I have one nailed down.

bdp24

« Reply #151 on: 11 Dec 2016, 12:31 am »
Danny, do you have anticipated ball park retail prices on your new NEO-style drivers yet? Will there be a few different sizes available, like 8 & 10?

Danny Richie

« Reply #152 on: 11 Dec 2016, 07:13 pm »
Danny, do you have anticipated ball park retail prices on your new NEO-style drivers yet? Will there be a few different sizes available, like 8 & 10?

I'll be able to sell the Neo 3's for the same price I was selling them before.

I am not having any larger ones made at this time.

Danny Richie

« Reply #153 on: 27 Dec 2016, 04:15 pm »
So here is a little information on the new tweeters that I had developed.

The new Neo tweeters use the same frames as the BG Neo 3 tweeters. But instead of a Kaladex film for the diaphragm it uses Kapton.

In the test units the two halves of the frames were screwed together so that they could be removed and reused testing different diaphragm tensions until the desired response was obtained.

Also note that instead of the connection being made with a Tin terminal, these terminals are high purity Copper with a Gold coating.

The response curves look great and very much like the custom tweeters that BG used to make for me.

And since these use the same frames as the BG tweeter they can be interchanged physically.

I'll update everyone on availability as I know more. Please hang in there.

bdp24

« Reply #154 on: 27 Dec 2016, 08:51 pm »
Danny, will a line array of six of the drivers need a compensation filter of some type to make their combined response be as it should in every way? Will such an array be usable from say 300Hz up to 20k?

Ric Schultz

« Reply #155 on: 27 Dec 2016, 09:00 pm »
These are tweeters, not midranges.  I think a large line source could get down to 1K or so but 300hz?  no way.  You need the 8s or 10s to do that.

Here is a pic of one of the Epiphany speakers Danny designed many moons ago that uses 12 neo 3s in a line source....wonder where he crosses them at?

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=7165.msg61097#msg61097
« Last Edit: 27 Dec 2016, 11:05 pm by Ric Schultz »

Danny Richie

« Reply #156 on: 28 Dec 2016, 12:40 am »
Danny, will a line array of six of the drivers need a compensation filter of some type to make their combined response be as it should in every way? Will such an array be usable from say 300Hz up to 20k?

Rick is correct. These will not play down that low. And six of them in a line is too short for a line array and too tall for a tweeter.

bdp24

« Reply #157 on: 28 Dec 2016, 11:41 pm »
Alrighty, thanks guys. So are you not going to be doing a NEO 8 midrange Danny?

Danny Richie

« Reply #158 on: 29 Dec 2016, 12:05 am »
Alrighty, thanks guys. So are you not going to be doing a NEO 8 midrange Danny?

Not unless I decide to bring out more line source kits. As of right now, no.

atoluma

« Reply #159 on: 29 Dec 2016, 08:34 am »
Hi Danny!

Have you got some news about the neo3 waveguide ?