AJensens Stereo shop / AVA history question

Teknofossil58

AJensens Stereo shop / AVA history question
« on: 16 Dec 2014, 05:11 pm »
I recall reading someplace that after Jensens Stereo Shop came out in the mid '70s with their PAT-4 and 5 Fet preamp modifications Dynaco's engineering staff appropriated / copied Frank and Company's work.  I'm curious as to how much of Mr VA's circuitry did they appropriate? Were they ever called to task on it?  Love to hear something about those years when Frank was trying to build his business.
-T

avahifi

Re: AJensens Stereo shop / AVA history question
« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2014, 09:53 pm »
Actually Dynaco copied our Double 400 amplifier and called it the 416.  They also copied our Super Fet Pat-5 called that the Pat-5 BiFet.  They still managed to leave the old LM301 compensation caps in circuit around the LF357 IC we used which was more then strange as that made it a bad copy.

B&K copied our Mos-Fet 150B power amplifier and called it the B&K 140.

Oh yes, Sound Values copied our Super 70 rebuild for the Dyna ST-70.  Then they had Panor build the amps for them but then Panor copied it for themselves.  No honor among thieves.

None done with our permission and no compensation of course.

Frank Van Alstine

sfox7076

« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2014, 10:23 pm »
Like early mapmakers... Copy what you see and change the monsters you put in the ocean. I love reading about Cartography thieving. 

rcag_ils

« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2014, 04:46 am »
I remember the Panor  ST-70 had 2 LED bias indicators. Stereophile gave it a thumb down, said the stock Dyna 70 sounded better (I wonder if they meant you Frank, just kidding), Panor then complaint about it, Stereophile said it was too bad.

I wish I still had that copy of Stereophile.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2014, 04:56 am »
I remember the Panor  ST-70 had 2 LED bias indicators. Stereophile gave it a thumb down, said the stock Dyna 70 sounded better (I wonder if they meant you Frank, just kidding), Panor then complaint about it, Stereophile said it was too bad.

I wish I still had that copy of Stereophile.

Is this the review?  http://www.stereophile.com/tubepoweramps/992dynaco/

Teknofossil58

« Reply #6 on: 18 Dec 2014, 11:06 am »
Actually Dynaco copied our Double 400 amplifier and called it the 416.  They also copied our Super Fet Pat-5 called that the Pat-5 BiFet.  They still managed to leave the old LM301 compensation caps in circuit around the LF357 IC we used which was more then strange as that made it a bad copy.

B&K copied our Mos-Fet 150B power amplifier and called it the B&K 140.

Oh yes, Sound Values copied our Super 70 rebuild for the Dyna ST-70.  Then they had Panor build the amps for them but then Panor copied it for themselves.  No honor among thieves.

None done with our permission and no compensation of course.

Frank Van Alstine
Isn't that always the way. A small story I am aware of: My uncle was one of the original owners of a company in NJ that manufactured equipment for the television industry. I recall him telling me a story about how another company reverse engineered a product (which I think was tied to a active patent at the time) and had it manufactured in Asia, bringing it to market for the same or less than what his product cost to manufacture.  Needless to say it is difficult to compete in that $ environment.

avahifi

« Reply #7 on: 18 Dec 2014, 11:46 am »
Panor  eliminated, inappropriately, one critical feedback loop in their copy of our Super 70 amplifier.  This left it marginally unstable and the sound was nowhere close to our Super 70.  They did not know what they were doing.

Frank Van Alstine