Pink Floyd, The Endless River

Wayner

Re: Pink Floyd, The Endless River
« Reply #20 on: 18 Nov 2014, 03:29 am »

BobM

« Reply #21 on: 18 Nov 2014, 01:47 pm »
BobM,  what are other prog rock groups that I should give a listen to?

I'm a big Pink Floyd fan and have always enjoyed David Gilmour's guitar work. 

There's quite a lot actually.

- Early Porcupine Tree comes immediately to mind, as does Riverside and Abigail's ghost or Blackfield.
- There are lots of others that lend themselves a bit further into the "harder" side of prog rock, like later Porcupine Tree, or Haken, or Sieges Even, etc.
- Then there's lots of symphonic prog to check out like the Flower Kings, Transatlantic, Izz, Big Big Train, Spock's Beard, Sylvan, Anathema, etc.
- Or the more pop-song oriented side of prog, like Kevin Gilbert, It Bites, Moth Vellum, early Ambrosia, etc.

I would suggest going over to www.progressiveears.org and start reading through threads. You will find way too many groups to check out over there in many, many styles.

Enjoy,
Bob

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #22 on: 18 Nov 2014, 07:46 pm »
They should have titled it "The Endless Noodle"

wushuliu

« Reply #23 on: 18 Nov 2014, 09:02 pm »
All in all, what do you expect from a group that isn't really a group anymore and using past "outtakes" to release something after 20 years to make money on their previous fame? Not bad, but it will only be called "good" because of their past, not because it really competes with the newer prog groups out there.

Dude they released the album in tribute to Rick Wright. You know, the dead guy whose tracks were used as the bed rock of the album. This was explained months ago. They don't need the money. If anything it's being released to support Wright's family.

If they really wanted to make money they would just do a tour.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #24 on: 29 Nov 2014, 08:08 pm »
I finally listened to it today and I like it. I've always liked Richard Wright's keyboards and believe they are an important part of the "Pink Floyd" sound.

geowak

« Reply #25 on: 30 Nov 2014, 01:10 am »
I finally listened to it today and I like it. I've always liked Richard Wright's keyboards and believe they are an important part of the "Pink Floyd" sound.
I agree....

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #26 on: 30 Nov 2014, 01:34 am »
A buddy of mine from Louisiana sent me the album on CD. I received it yesterday.
In the chaos of cooking our Thanksgiving meal, I've misplaced it. For the life of me, I can't find the disc.  :cry:

geowak

« Reply #27 on: 30 Nov 2014, 01:56 am »
A buddy of mine from Louisiana sent me the album on CD. I received it yesterday.
In the chaos of cooking our Thanksgiving meal, I've misplaced it. For the life of me, I can't find the disc.  :cry:

Bob- people have been horse whipped and goat roped for lesser crimes. Better go find it.....hehe

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #28 on: 30 Nov 2014, 04:46 am »
I know....  :duh:  :oops:

wushuliu

« Reply #29 on: 18 Dec 2014, 05:32 am »
Listening to it on Tidal right now and I think this is their best album in decades. How anyone could have a problem with PF instrumental heavy album is beyond me. The lack of lyrics is a GOOD thing. The lyrics I associate strongly with Roger, so fewer lyrics means Nick and Dave and Rick are in their wheelhouse and have every right to slap Pink Floyd on the cover. Absolutely a fitting tribute to Rick and so far a swan song that exceeds my expectations.

MaxCast

« Reply #30 on: 18 Dec 2014, 01:22 pm »
I bought myself the LP and wrapped it up for Christmas   :duh:
Only 7 more days!!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #31 on: 18 Dec 2014, 01:26 pm »
Don't peek Rich.  :wink:

Good review Mr. Wushuliu  :thumb:

pjchappy

« Reply #32 on: 30 Dec 2014, 11:38 pm »
Listening to it on Tidal right now and I think this is their best album in decades. How anyone could have a problem with PF instrumental heavy album is beyond me. The lack of lyrics is a GOOD thing. The lyrics I associate strongly with Roger, so fewer lyrics means Nick and Dave and Rick are in their wheelhouse and have every right to slap Pink Floyd on the cover. Absolutely a fitting tribute to Rick and so far a swan song that exceeds my expectations.

I agree. 

I was a touch bummed at first that only one song had vocals.  Sitting back and listening to the album in its entirety alleviated my concerns.  Definitely takes you places, like many of the best of PF does.  Big thumbs up from me!  :thumb:

p