VR-55 Official Press Release

VSA_Production

VR-55 Official Press Release
« on: 16 Jul 2014, 11:21 pm »
After a successful ten year run, the VR-5 Anniversary has finally gone through our R&D department’s Upgrade Program and all of our wish lists have been check off.  The new replacement, called VR-55, has many exciting sonic and mechanical improvements that elevate the new model to greater heights of performance.  Although the same driver complement stays in place, with twin 8.8” Magnesium woofers, a 6” carbon fiber/aluminum oxide cone midrange, and Dual Ring Revelator silk dome tweeter, the overall sound quality has been improved by a large variety of upgrades that now merit a new model designation.  If you liked the original VR-5 Anniversary (and who didn’t), you’ll LOVE the VR-55!  Here are some general specifications for you at this time:
  • Greater Transparency: all-new cabinet design greatly reduces all cabinet resonances.
  • Greater Detail Extraction: Master-Built wiring is standard on all drivers and crossover.
  • Greater Clarity and Purity: Mundorf and Clarity capacitors offer the most transparent sound.
  • Larger Holographic Soundstage:  New cabinet shape that enhances wide dispersion and rear-firing Ribbon Tweeter is newly utilized for more “air” of the concert hall.
  • If you loved the organic and musical nature of the original model, you’ll love the added clarity, detail, and image focus that the VR-55 brings to the table.  Highly musical!
Suggested MSRP will be $30,000/pr in Passive form and $35,000/pr with Aktive subwoofer amplification.

Check back at www.vonschweikertaudio.com for future updates and information.

VSA

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
Re: VR-55 Official Press Release
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2014, 11:59 pm »
..so is there still a VR66?  Seems I remember hearing it would be at a considerably higher msrp..  :scratch:

Delacroix

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jul 2014, 01:12 am »
Man, I'm feeling the pressure of obsolescence, I just upgraded to 5 Anni IIs and now this....LOL.

fplanner2000

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jul 2014, 03:52 am »
Hey Gavin-
The 9's haven't sold yet and I've gotta believe they will smoke whatever 6's may eventually come out.  Plus my 9's pricing will be better.  PM me if interested.... :thumb:

Harve

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jul 2014, 03:28 pm »
I don't doubt you for a minute Harve but a pr of VR9s isn't in the cards...maybe because I just ordered a 228i...and for over $20K less.  :o

fplanner2000

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jul 2014, 04:07 pm »
IS that a BMW?  Looks like it is - congrats and welcome to the club   :thumb: (something else Jack and I have in common. :D)

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #6 on: 17 Jul 2014, 04:23 pm »
You mean a 228i costs less than a pair of VR9? :)

fplanner2000

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jul 2014, 05:05 pm »
Depends on the options. :D  Just like a pair of 9's cost less than a pair of 100s and a pair of 100's cost less than a pair of 11s, and a pair of 11s cost less than whatever the hell mega-system Jack is having built.  Its all relative.  :o

JackD201

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jul 2014, 08:25 pm »
There are no speed limits in audio. Every day is a track day  :icon_twisted:

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 18 Jul 2014, 03:23 pm »
Just for the record I joined the club in 1978 when I bought a '74 2002.  It's been lights out ever since.  This makes my eleventh Bimmer if my math is correct.  And regarding the cost of a 228i...ours is fully loaded with an msrp of about $45K.  So yes, it is roughly half the price of the VR9s.  That doesn't mean I don't lust to own a pair.  Problem is I also lust to eat meat once a week...  :lol:

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 18 Jul 2014, 03:31 pm »
..don't mean to hijack the thread but regarding BMWs...all mine have been 3 series with the exception of the 2002 and two 6 series...an '84 633 csi and an '85 M6.  My fav of all was the '98 M3 sedan.  Like an idiot I sold it in '06 with less than 40K miles...stupid here...  Ok back to our regular programming..

fplanner2000

« Reply #11 on: 18 Jul 2014, 05:29 pm »
On my 5th - 2011 550ix w/M package and Dinan 2 upgrade.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 18 Jul 2014, 06:38 pm »
..nice ride Harve...no 5 series in my past.  Can't piss in the tall bushes...therefore can't run with the big dogs  :green:

fplanner2000

« Reply #13 on: 18 Jul 2014, 06:52 pm »
-no worries- :thumb:

gammajo

« Reply #14 on: 19 Jul 2014, 09:13 pm »
My favorite was a BMW 1985 L7, everything leather including dash board and head liner, was like slipping into a glove. Kept it for 15 years and it still on the road in my hometown. I bet the VSA 55 will be just as sexy! I will be comparing it to upgrading my 5 Anni MK2 with subs and super tweets and also to the 66.

john925

« Reply #15 on: 20 Jul 2014, 03:47 am »
The new VR-55 will be in two separated boxes like VR-5 anni or like VR-33 in a single closure?

JackD201

« Reply #16 on: 20 Jul 2014, 03:30 pm »
Word is that the 55 will be in a single cabinet. Ever since the DB-99 ended production many dealers, us included, have been pushing for SR4 and 5 variants with active bass sections. We finally saw this happen with the evolution of the SR to the current VR-44 and now it is the VR-5's turn with the evolution into the 55. The dimensions of the former bodies didn't allow for an active option. The 44's body was thus done in the DB-99 mold to be able to accommodate the rear plate amplifier. I suspect the same will be true for the VR-55.

I think more than ever, there is an embarrassment of riches, both tube and solid state, of wonderful low and mid-powered amplifiers. The inclusion of active bass support options allows the buyers to save quite a bit on amplifier expense. Imagine being able to go with a Pass XA30 instead of an XA160 or X series or being able to use a 50wpc integrated tube amp like a KR Si instead of a DX at more than double the cost.

Bi-amping has always been popular with VRs. It's not something you could do easily with most other loudspeakers since VR crossovers have traditionally been split unlike most others that use just one module. We have some pretty long threads here on AC about the very topic. With the A models VSA has done the bass portion of the bi-amping for us ensuring the optimum amplification for the woofers while giving us a lot of flexibility for gain matching.

I will miss the two cabinet look. SRs and 5s were always very elegant. The bevels and angles jewel like under the right lights especially when finished in Steinway Gloss or custom metallics. My business partner has a custom BMW Jerez Black VR-44 Active and I must say that these too have jewel like facets.

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #17 on: 21 Jul 2014, 07:29 pm »
for the record,, a triumph spitfire, Datsun 280z, 7 series and 540i then x5.  My current ride is my favorite.. 911 4S.  I'm looking forward to hearing the new 55's at RAMF.  Its the sole reason I'll be attending.  I too will miss the two cabinet stacking.. My VR4 Silver back when, was unbeatable!  jack b

htradtk

« Reply #18 on: 21 Jul 2014, 10:35 pm »
Mmmmm..... The only difference I see with the VR-55 and my VR-5 Anniversary MKII is the one cabinet design and the capacitors. I've got the internal Masterbuilt wiring when I had them upgraded to the MKII status in October 2012. Here's my dumb question: What's the 5K difference between the Passive form and the Aktive subwoofer model? Very happy with mine but if Albert and company are willing to make an even trade up, I'm willing, yeah right!! :lol:

Henry

JackD201

« Reply #19 on: 22 Jul 2014, 04:03 am »
I think the 55 Passive is targeted for new owners not so much existing 5 Anniversary owners. Quite frankly, there isn't much the Annie needs in terms of fixin'.  I bought my Dad a pair of Annies and he absolutely loves them. He listens at least a couple of hours a day.  Albert told me that he did improvements but he did not want to do a 180 in character. The rear ribbon is interesting to me. I lived with 9s for as many years as I did 4s and 5s. The rear ribbon of the 9s is, without reservations, a big jump over the soft domes. I'm happy to see this trickling down the line.

I believe the planned 66 is the model for those who feel they would like a deeper and broader performance envelope particularly for those whose listening habits routinely feature "zooming in" to individual performances. These are the way 9s and 11s, and I assume 100s and the 111 are voiced. They are far more critical of upstream gear and recordings being so revealing so set up is more challenging but dividends await those willing to take on these challenges.