Ben's SoundScape 8's in deep rose-red quilted maple

jsalk

Ben's SoundScape 8's in deep rose-red quilted maple
« on: 19 Dec 2012, 09:55 pm »
Ben wanted a pair of SoundScape 8's in quilted maple finished in rose-red with our double-dye process.

Here they are...

And a close-up...

Happy listening Ben!

- Jim

morik

Re: Ben's SoundScape 8's in deep rose-red quilted maple
« Reply #1 on: 19 Dec 2012, 10:05 pm »
Thanks Jim, can't wait to hear them!

Austin08

« Reply #2 on: 20 Dec 2012, 12:10 am »
Whowww, 3 pair of SS8s in one week and  one or two pair every other week. This killer speaker sold like a gang buster. Who said America eco is on the ”down fall period”.  :green:

Nuance

« Reply #3 on: 20 Dec 2012, 02:17 am »
Ben, you have amazing taste!  These are officially my favorite SoundScape 8's thus far.  As of right now I'll be copying your speakers when my time comes to order SS8's; hope you don't mind.  Welcome to the Salk family!

benguin

« Reply #4 on: 20 Dec 2012, 04:31 am »
I've been looking forward to seeing Morik's speakers, since we've both been incubating during the same time. The dark red dye with the maple quilting is stunning.

Can't beat having another pair of SS8s shipping out this week.  And two Bens as well!

Ben, I know you will enjoy these!
  - Ben (in IL)

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #5 on: 20 Dec 2012, 06:26 am »
Ben

Fabulous finish.
Jim did this finish on my ss10s, they are a complete work of art.
The figuring looks great.

Jim exquisite work. 
You have more productive elves making SS8s than the North Pole.

Ben Can't wait to hear your impressions, and see them in your system

morik

« Reply #6 on: 21 Dec 2012, 03:38 am »
Thanks for the comments guys. I'll make sure to snap some photos of the delivery & setup once they get here :)

morik

« Reply #7 on: 28 Dec 2012, 05:42 pm »
They arrived today!

Here is a pic of them on the delivery truck.
I've only unboxed the center so far--will have everything set up today though (just waiting on my wife to get home to help move the fronts into the basement).

The center looks quite nice. Can't wait to get them hooked up.

Austin08

« Reply #8 on: 28 Dec 2012, 08:42 pm »
Congrat Ben, this will be your best holiday ever. A mini review is in order. Cheer  :thumb:

morik

« Reply #9 on: 29 Dec 2012, 04:14 pm »
So I've been listening to some music on these things, as well as watching the first season of Walking Dead (which I've been waiting on til I got my home theater back up).

I haven't played with positioning much yet. I ran a quick Audyssey calibration (one location only), and will let them settle in a bit before I start moving them around/running full Audyssey.

These speakers are very detailed. Vocals sound fantastic.

I briefly tried completely closing the back of the tweeter section, but found the diminished ambiance wasn't to my taste. As you can see in the pictures below, I do have some absorption up behind and to the side of the speakers.

I do find that with the open backs, some vocals sound like they have a slight echo--a little too open. Most sound good though. I may not have the sound panels positioned properly. At some point I'll stuff the acoustic fluff in there and see how that sounds to me.

With the Walking Dead, dialogue was very clear, and I was very pleased with the neutral sound. Nothing in my face, very natural sounding.

In the first picture below you can see my right surround & rear right speaker, as well as the SS8s and the HT2C, and one of my subs.

My whole setup:
 - Denon 4311CI as both amp (to the rears & surrounds), and preamp (fronts, and center)
 - Wyred4Sound MC3x500 (>500W into 8ohm, >1000W into 4ohm) for the fronts & center
 - 2 Salk SS8s as fronts
 - Salk HT2C as center
 - 2 Rythmik F15HP subs
 - 4 Mirage OMD-5s as surrounds/rears

Austin08

« Reply #10 on: 29 Dec 2012, 06:25 pm »
Great set up. I put sound diffuser behind each speaker with full open back. They work out well in this set up. :thumb:

OgOgilby

« Reply #11 on: 30 Dec 2012, 03:23 am »
Congrats Ben, that is a very nice looking setup!

-Greg

Nuance

« Reply #12 on: 30 Dec 2012, 06:31 am »
Awesome setup, Ben.  I hope you're loving them!

I recommend listening to the SS8's without Audyssey for a while, then with to compare; you may find they sound better without.  In my experience Audyssey can do some funny things above the Schroeder Frequency.

By the way, The Walking Dead is one of the best shows on TV!  It's in my top 5 for sure.

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #13 on: 30 Dec 2012, 06:30 pm »
very nice Ben

that center channel is tempting, I bet it integrates well with the SS8s

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #14 on: 30 Dec 2012, 08:06 pm »
Very nice! Seeing such a beautiful photo of SS8s makes me a tad impatient for my Satin Black SS8s to get finished. As I recall, I don't remember seeing any pics of SS8s that I didn't like.

On another note, I read somewhere in this forum that the SS8 speaker terminals won't accept banana plugs. SS8 owners, is this correct? My bi wire cables are terminated with banana plugs. I don't want to have any surprises when I unbox them.  Thanks, Pete

Austin08

« Reply #15 on: 30 Dec 2012, 11:03 pm »
Very nice! Seeing such a beautiful photo of SS8s makes me a tad impatient for my Satin Black SS8s to get finished. As I recall, I don't remember seeing any pics of SS8s that I didn't like.

On another note, I read somewhere in this forum that the SS8 speaker terminals won't accept banana plugs. SS8 owners, is this correct? My bi wire cables are terminated with banana plugs. I don't want to have any surprises when I unbox them.  Thanks, Pete

You'll be fine.

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #16 on: 31 Dec 2012, 12:43 am »
Cool thanks! :D

jsalk

« Reply #17 on: 31 Dec 2012, 03:38 pm »
banana plugs are fine

- Jim