Yosemite anyone ?

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
Yosemite anyone ?
« on: 18 Oct 2014, 02:21 pm »
Anyone tried the new Yosemite package (OS X) .....?

Temped to upgrade but I have Maverick and it is working fine..

JohnR

Re: Yosemite anyone ?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Oct 2014, 02:23 pm »
Downloading it now, but will be installing on an external drive first (reinstalling all audio stuff to see how it goes...)

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 18 Oct 2014, 02:29 pm »
Yes, I've been using it for over two months now.  It works very well. 

AllynW

« Reply #3 on: 18 Oct 2014, 10:34 pm »
I've installed Yosemite on my 2113 Mac Mini and a 2112 MacBook Pro.  All went well no huge performance change.

Stercom

« Reply #4 on: 18 Oct 2014, 11:01 pm »
Stable. No issues.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #5 on: 18 Oct 2014, 11:39 pm »
I installed Yosemite on my 2012 MacBook pro this afternoon and my computer seems to be working quite a bit faster then before with no issues at all so far.

The install was slow, it takes about 3-4 hours as there were upgrades for Pages, itunes, etc. too.

Frank Van Alstine

dB Cooper

« Reply #6 on: 19 Oct 2014, 04:13 am »
Except for Apple's horrifying, baffling decision to have FileVault full-disk encryption turned on by default, I think Yosemite is a home run. Like Frank, my 2013 Retina 13 seems noticeably faster, and no issues (seems like the public beta testing probably squashed a lot of bugs.)

Why the beef about FileVault?

I sell Apple products for a living,and it sometimes seems like I spend half my time helping bewildered old people who want the latest technology (but refuse to make the effort to learn how to use it) recover their passwords. I field password-related questions like "Can you look it up?" and "Is that the same as my AOL password?" every day. In the past I have scrupulously avoided even mentioning FileVault because anyone who really needs it will know what it is and how to use it. Now it will be on by default and the same "I'm bad with technology" buyers who apparently bought their computer not realizing it was a technology product will blow right on by the dialog box, whack-a-mole style, and proceed to immediately forget it, locking themselves out of their own computer. At least Apple made it recoverable by Apple ID, so that will only be about a twenty minute gauntlet, but most people use passwords that are too weak to get the full benefit of FileVault.

Crimson

« Reply #7 on: 19 Oct 2014, 04:28 am »
For those so inclined, here's an in-depth ars-technica review that covers all the changes and updates. It's quite long, but there are a ton of cool features included that may go unnoticed.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #8 on: 19 Oct 2014, 10:06 am »
Except for Apple's horrifying, baffling decision to have FileVault full-disk encryption turned on by default, I think Yosemite is a home run. Like Frank, my 2013 Retina 13 seems noticeably faster, and no issues (seems like the public beta testing probably squashed a lot of bugs.)

Why the beef about FileVault?

I sell Apple products for a living,and it sometimes seems like I spend half my time helping bewildered old people who want the latest technology (but refuse to make the effort to learn how to use it) recover their passwords. I field password-related questions like "Can you look it up?" and "Is that the same as my AOL password?" every day. In the past I have scrupulously avoided even mentioning FileVault because anyone who really needs it will know what it is and how to use it. Now it will be on by default and the same "I'm bad with technology" buyers who apparently bought their computer not realizing it was a technology product will blow right on by the dialog box, whack-a-mole style, and proceed to immediately forget it, locking themselves out of their own computer. At least Apple made it recoverable by Apple ID, so that will only be about a twenty minute gauntlet, but most people use passwords that are too weak to get the full benefit of FileVault.

Hey, you talking to me?  (I'm near retirement, live with too many passwords, been through way too many upgrades/patches/etc., and just want the damn thing to work for me - instead of the other way around.)   :roll: :oops: :scratch:

Can I count on you for advice?   :green:

dB Cooper

« Reply #9 on: 19 Oct 2014, 01:17 pm »
No, I'm not. And I'm no spring chicken either. But since I use the technology, I'm willing to learn what I have to learn to do what I want to do. Many people are not- but they want to use the damn thing nonetheless. Their answer is to come in and pester you with questions that they could easily find the answers to in a few minutes on google. To them, as an Apple in store trainer I know says, "They think 'user friendly' means the device jumps out of the box by itself and starts reading your mind." And the most basic things to learn are what the passwords are for your device and (if an Apple device) your Apple ID and its associated password. Just the way it is.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you." -Unknown wise man

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #10 on: 20 Oct 2014, 12:40 pm »
I think most folks, even us older ones, do try (at least in some feeble way) to understand how to use computers, but all it seems to take is one slip of the keyboard/mouse or one missing critical piece of advice to head off into deep trouble.  As stated "the damn thing" just not as intuitive as driving a car (I blame the infancy of the industry for that).  Us computer cripples need and appreciate whatever help those trainers can provide (and hope that they realize that someday they'll probably need to look for a different job).  We don't want to be dependent on advice, but help can be hard to come by.  In my perspective, it seems like AC is full of computer jocks and that I'm a rare breed around here (I hope that's the case).

Years ago a member/friend spent 1.5 hours helping me set-up a squeeze box over the phone.  Got it to work, but every couple of weeks some sort of glitch (that produced horrible noise) would develop that would only resolve by punching random buttons long enough.  As a result it got sold and I went back to my CDPs for years, until I got an iMac but still took another year to build up the courage to rip my CDs  into iTunes.  Now I'm considering a better solution than a $6, 35 foot optical cable into an modded DAC, but fear of failure is still holding me back.

Blackmore

« Reply #11 on: 21 Oct 2014, 09:09 pm »
Took 4 1/2 hours to download and install on my rural DSL.  Of course, you immediately need 6 software updates to stay current.   Some things are running faster than with Mavericks and I'll get used to the new color/design scheme.  No problems with the computer after the update.

JohnR

« Reply #12 on: 24 Oct 2014, 02:24 pm »
Well... I've backed out. Don't really like the look, and didn't find much to benefit me. Would also have to pay for some app upgrades to complete the conversion.

bside123

« Reply #13 on: 24 Oct 2014, 03:31 pm »
Downloaded and installed with no problems (about 2 hours). No problems with upgrades. I don't mind the look. Computer seems a little faster. There are some nice new features, e.g., iPhone/computer integration. The rest I haven't learned as of yet. No particular problems as of yet either.

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #14 on: 24 Oct 2014, 08:22 pm »
Okay,

I just completed the down load to Yosemite. Like the small changes. I am glad they didn't make major changes, that bugs me when it is a complete overhaul and you need to relearn everything.

The only issue I have is the Safari background color, it's way to light to use my plasma screen tv as a monitor. Makes for a lot of eye strain.. I am not sure why it is a light cream color.(?)

Can that be changed ?

(thanks for everyones input..!)

Blackmore

« Reply #15 on: 3 Nov 2014, 03:18 pm »
One thing seemed to change.  I frequently switch from the internal speakers to my Bel Canto uLink in the "Sound" section of System Preferences.  It defaults to half volume on the USB setting which I don't think is how it worked in Mavericks.  Took me a few minutes to figure out why my digital was so soft.  I remember to change that setting now, but weird the first time.

avta

« Reply #16 on: 3 Nov 2014, 03:28 pm »
Bladesmith you can change contrast and some other functions in System Preferences>Accessibility by checking " increase contrast " in the Display section.

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #17 on: 3 Nov 2014, 03:41 pm »
AVTA,

I think I got everything adjusted on the display. I think its a bit more difficult to get just right with a plasma screen.

But I got it now, thanks...

B...

JohnR

« Reply #18 on: 4 Nov 2014, 12:15 pm »
I installed Yosemite on an external machine I just got today, intended for use as a server. I still can't get over the color scheme.

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #19 on: 4 Nov 2014, 05:03 pm »
JohnR,

it is a challenge, because when you change your setting, the background page is not Safari, its the desktop. And Safari is the page I need the fine detailing done in.

I had to go back and forth from my plasma settings and then to my Mac settings to get the best results.

But, I think it has more to do with my plasma and its unlimited amount of various settings, that makes it more complicated.