New Digital mod work begins tomorrow!!!

JG2

Re: New Digital mod work begins tomorrow!!!
« Reply #100 on: 19 Nov 2016, 07:39 am »
It was the Stomach Bug and it went through the whole family, we're feeling better and hopefully we'll be at 100% in a few days...

Sorry Ron............I'm trying to be funny but the stomach is NO FUN at all! Hope you are all feeling better real soon.

rbbert

« Reply #101 on: 19 Nov 2016, 01:28 pm »
Just make sure any pictures you upload include your speakers  :lol:

Wig

« Reply #102 on: 19 Nov 2016, 05:04 pm »
Sorry Ron............I'm trying to be funny but the stomach is NO FUN at all! Hope you are all feeling better real soon.

No problem! We're up and about and doing better and the good thing is the MW SA8005 is continuing to burn-in... Wonder why the smiley icons doesn't work on my computer?

modwright

« Reply #103 on: 21 Nov 2016, 05:47 pm »
Sorry you and your family were sick. My wife is a RN at the local high school and there has been a LOT of that going around.  No good when the whole family is hit with it.

Be well and have a Happy Holiday!

Dan

decal

« Reply #104 on: 21 Nov 2016, 10:16 pm »
I replaced the PS 9.0 rectifier tube with a Philips 5R4GYS. I wasn't expecting such a huge change in the sound, it's not subtle !!!! The sound seemed to just get bigger, if that makes any sense. Maybe Dan can chime in on the reason why. I highly recommend this tube swap, just make sure you opted for the larger opening in the PS 9.0, this tube is huge.

modwright

« Reply #105 on: 22 Nov 2016, 12:36 am »
The 5R4GYS is a GREAT rectifier.  Until this tube, the GZ34 by Mullard or Amperex were always my favorites.  The 5U4GB and 5V4GB are very nice, but tend to be a bit on the warm side and not as resolving.  The GZ34 always provided a smooth and tight presentation with good bass.  The 5R4GYS just seems to do everything right. It is more open and resolving and does not seem to exaggerate or lack in any one area. I can't say exactly what is going on, but it works!

Dan

Wig

« Reply #106 on: 24 Nov 2016, 05:16 am »
I’m a Huge fan of anything that Dan of ModWright has Re-engineered! From my personal experience, I have not found anything that even come close to the performance of MW Sony 5400 and now the MW Marantz SA8005 Tube CD Players. I have compared my player to Ayon CD2 and Rega CD Players and a slew of Dacs to include EE, Bryston, Berkeley and Lampizator Lvl 4; All were inferior in sound quality and I noticed a drastic reduction in sound-stage, imaging and impact plus you can put that $500+ dollar toward the cost of the player verses a digital cable.

My player is primarily a disc spinner and at some point I may use this for a few Hi-Rez rips to experience what everyone is raving about. It’s built like a tank, has an exceptional drawer mechanism and designed for digital/CD playback… The sound of this player is Fantastic, life-like image size, wide/high sound-stage and a very DEEP sound-stage like nothing I’ve heard before; it actually draws you into the recording venue with layers of depth, ambiance and subtle cues that’s so realistic. Even basic CDs sound fantastic and SACD is OFF the chart.

I will give you the analogy of the differences between the Sony and Marantz that I discovered when I replaced my Avalon Ascendants with Acoustic Zen Crescendo Loudspeakers; the Avalon’s were champions at portraying realistic images within the soundstage in row 2 but Acoustic Zen was even better at portraying palpable imaging/depth and at the same time lit up every corner of the sound-stage, allowing subtle cues, ambiance and detail to emerge effortlessly and the ability to put
the listener in row 4…

This MW SA8005 player will give you Great sound and offer one the ability to dip into Hi-Rez streaming without eliminating those shiny discs that we’ve grown to love due to simplicity.  This unit is here to STAY until Dan’s next discovery and I’m only halfway through the burn-in process…

I enthusiastically and Highly Recommend MW SA8005 Tube CD player!

Kudos to Dan and his Team for an Outstanding Job on this project!

Wig

brownsfan

« Reply #107 on: 24 Nov 2016, 12:27 pm »
Wig,
Please keep us posted as you gain more burn in hours.  I was especially interested in your comments on your 5400 vs the Lampizator and other DACs.   I am also a fan of Dan's digital mods, having owned a MW 5400 and now a MW HAPZ1 which is my primary source.   The HAPZ1 bettered the 5400, and not by a small margin, so I sold my 5400 several months ago.  I have thought long and hard about the new Marantz, but I really need a DVD player in my downstairs system, so I think I am going to wait to see what happens with the OPPO 4 K player next year.  However, if the Marantz is all it appears to be, it may be hard to pass up.

BTW, have you tried a Canadian Westinghouse V-71 rectifier?  It is a military 5U4 and betters every rectifier I have tried in the PS 9.0 including the 5R4GYS favored by Dan.  They are very hard to find, but I suspect you might find like this tube.  I found it to approach the resolution of the 5R4GYS with a much smoother presentation and a highly layered stage depth.

decal

« Reply #108 on: 25 Nov 2016, 03:49 pm »
I've been running my I-Pod (ALAC files) thru the USB port and it sounds great. I'll pop in a disc a few times a day and it is sounding better and better. Dan has hit a grand slam with this mod. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

smargo

« Reply #109 on: 26 Nov 2016, 07:07 pm »
Are you using the stock tubes for now?

ok -  dmiches tell us your impressions already - dyin to know?

dminches

« Reply #110 on: 27 Nov 2016, 12:47 am »
I am very happy with this unit.  It presents the music is very natural way.  I listen mostly to analog so i am sensitive to digital sounding music.  I don't hear a lot of that with the MW 8005.  More to come...

Wig

« Reply #111 on: 27 Nov 2016, 03:42 am »
I can tell that my caps are starting to form with more burn-in (Day 16); images are starting to bloom with more dimensionality, specificity, image size and the sound just floats across the soundstage.

Wig

Bob Stark

« Reply #112 on: 27 Nov 2016, 05:03 am »
For those interested, I've got a very simple mod to any Modwright CD player or any component with a transformer which was told to me by Robert Maicks of Star Sound.  I did this to my Edge M6 amp and then tried it on my MW 5400.  It made the amp sound like I paid another 50% more for it--every sound aspect improved.  This mod involves unscrewing the nut from the bolt holding the transformer and taking the trans off the bolt, then removing the thin rubber insulator.  You will need to order 3 Audio Points (.2AP.7D) at $25 each.  These are about the diameter of a nickel and very thin, maybe 1/4" thick.  In place of the insulator, spread the 3 Audio Points evenly under the trans with the points down facing the chassis so the smooth side is touching the trans.  The points should be roughly in the fattest part of the trans, not toward the edge or middle.  Put the bolt back through the trans and tighten the nut securely.  Put the cover back on.  If your wires are still hooked up, you're ready to go.

What do you gain?  This change is greater than changing to the best after market fuses.  The music becomes infused with new life--the dynamics are explosive, there is more clarity at all frequencies, etc.  I could go on forall audiophile adjectives.  This mod takes about as long to do as unscrewing the cover from the power supply.  Robert at Star Sound might even cut you some slack on the price if you've bought other products from him.  THIS IS A VERY SIGNIFICANT CHANGE and all for the better!!!  I talked to Dan about this and he thought it would make a difference in sound prior to actually doing it.  He also said it would not void the warranty.

dminches

« Reply #113 on: 29 Nov 2016, 01:02 am »
Do you guys find that the 5687s run really hot?  Mine are way too hot to even touch.

modwright

« Reply #114 on: 29 Nov 2016, 01:13 am »
Yep! They draw .5A per tube (filaments) and are designed to run hot. They are rated up to 7.5W plate dissipation. I am not running them NEAR that high, but they run hotter than most other tubes.

Dan

dminches

« Reply #115 on: 29 Nov 2016, 01:15 am »
Thanks Dan.  I happen to get close to them and was surprised as how hot they seemed.

This is the first time I have used 5687s.

modwright

« Reply #116 on: 29 Nov 2016, 01:24 am »
Unique and wonderful tube.  Designed to run at higher current. Very linear, low distortion and provides exceptional results if designed around properly.

JG2

« Reply #117 on: 29 Nov 2016, 07:32 am »
Do you guys find that the 5687s run really hot?  Mine are way too hot to even touch.

I was doing A/B/C tube comparisons a few weeks ago and forgot how toasty those tubes get.............. :duh:

dminches

« Reply #118 on: 29 Nov 2016, 12:51 pm »
I was doing A/B/C tube comparisons a few weeks ago and forgot how toasty those tubes get.............. :duh:

It is hard to get those tubes out without taking off the cover.  The Tung Sol versions are very short....and hot!!!

decal

« Reply #119 on: 29 Nov 2016, 03:58 pm »
But they sound soooooooo good. Not to mention they look great at night!!!!! :D