VMPS RM/X Elixirs at RMAF 2014

BobMajor

VMPS RM/X Elixirs at RMAF 2014
« on: 15 Oct 2014, 12:14 pm »
These venerable speakers were used by a vendor at the just completed RMAF in Denver.
See Room 577 Vegas Image Audio room
http://www.stereophile.com/content/rmaf-2014-reichert-redux

Stimpy

Re: VMPS RM/X Elixirs at RMAF 2014
« Reply #1 on: 15 Oct 2014, 05:15 pm »
NICE!!!    :thumb:

"Room 577: Still smiling, but now eyes wide open I entered the Vegas Image Audio room. My pulse quickened. The view was so amazing I had to stop at the door and collect myself. Gold, bling, house of blue lights and the sound was. My first words to Vegas Image owner, Roy Insco were, "What in thee holy second coming are those loudspeakers?" When he answered, my mind rolled backwards. They are the legendary VMPS RM/X Elixirs designed by the recently deceased audio wizard, Brian Cheney. I don't remember ever meeting Mr. Cheney, but he is one of my audio heros and (seriously) one of my favorite audio "reviewers"—ever! (See Stereophile, 1988). A moment of silence with our hats off please. Brian designed these rare VMPS speakers (only 17 pairs were made) with some crossover design help by another audio Pantheon god: James (Jimmy) Bongiorno. These same VMPS Elixirs won Best Sound of Show at the 2003 CES. The sound was rich, clear and humbling. Roy had the beyond-the-beyond Triangle Arts, Ultimate LE turntable ($129,000) with the Osiris 12" arm ($5800) and the Triangle Arts Apollo cartridge ($8000). Besides making the Elixirs sound good, the NAT 160-watt single-ended triode, Magma 450DH amp ($50,000/pair) was sending me back to my UFO-Outer Limits childhood."

They're for sale too.  Listed in my for sale thread.

VMPS RM/X Elixir Classic VMPS RM/X Piano Black with TRT caps and Silver Wire  -  (Las Vegas, NV 89178)  $9999

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/planars-vmps-rm-x-elixir-classic-vmps-rm-x-piano-black-with-trt-caps-and-silver-wire-2014-10-04-speakers-89178-las-vegas-nv

"Theses are in non smoking home/dealer visit my website www.vegasimageaudio.com and/or call 702-249-4592. These will be at RMAF Vegas Image Audio room 577 Atrium 5 if you'd like to hear and pick up in Denver. These won best of Show in 2003 and were a collaboration between the late Brian Cheney of VMPS fame and the late James Bonjiorno Ampzilla, Gas fame. There were only 17 pairs made and weigh in at 385 lbs each. I will send pics and buyer responsible for all paypal and shipping charges please no low ball offers as I will not respond. I can deliver within 250 miles of Las Vegas and/or 250 miles of Denver RMAF. I can send pics on request these were serviced by Brian Cheney himself and have all upgrades plus a new carbon fiber woofer."

Stimpy

« Reply #2 on: 16 Oct 2014, 01:16 am »
Another nice RM/X comment, from the RMAF:

http://www.audiophilia.com/wp/?p=14991

"The electronics consisted to the Nat Signature Phono Preamp ($10,000), Nat Magnestotat Line stage Preamp ($19,500), Nat Magma 160 Watt Single End Pure Class A Power Amplifier ($50,000). The speakers were the amazing VMPS RM/X which are unfortunately no longer in production. I say unfortunately because these are very special clue to their extraordinary sound quality.

These systems demonstrated excellent sound quality. Clear coherent with natural sounding vocals and rich full instrumental timbers
. I was particularly struck by the relative low cost of the tables. I expected them to cost far more than the asking prices. The electronics are first rate as well and no doubt were major contributors to the excellent sound quality. However, the contribution of these very special speakers must also be noted."

Taterworks

« Reply #3 on: 16 Oct 2014, 01:33 am »
This room had the feeling of being sort of a shrine, with all the gear being bathed in tube glow and the gold-plated turntable stand really being something to see.

The RM/X speakers were in excellent shape. The sound was quite good, with the exception of just one issue that nagged at me - the feeling of high frequencies coming from above my head. You could tell when you got into the vertical pattern of the tweeter and when you were out of it, defining a particular listening area 6-10 feet from the speakers. Standing behind the third row of chairs, I could hear a pronounced fall-off in HF.

Seated, it sounded as though the highs were coming from above me, rather than being a cohesive part of a wide soundstage. You can hear the elevation of a high-frequency source in a room if the angle is extreme enough, though it's a subtle effect. But the midrange and the bass were excellent, with bass impact being about as good as I've heard it from even a large speaker. Voices were particularly sweet and smooth.

I'm still very glad I visited this room, though if I'd been designing the RM/X, I'd have put the tweeter halfway up the line of midrange panels, and if another elevation tweeter was needed, it could be added. I think that approach would have helped avoid the disembodied treble ("ooh, there goes the ribbon tweeter"). Don't take that criticism for more than it is - the RM/X is a good-sounding speaker, and the rest of Brian's speakers notably used a more conventional driver layout with the tweeter at ear level.

fredgarvin

« Reply #4 on: 16 Oct 2014, 04:48 pm »
As I recall, and the picture is too dark to see it, the tweeter was movable so one could tweek it's signal path?

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 16 Oct 2014, 06:55 pm »
As I recall, and the picture is too dark to see it, the tweeter was movable so one could tweek it's signal path?

Yes the Tweeter Pod was adjustable and it was the reason for the term FST (free swinging tweeter)

And also yes, the vertical adjustment is what integrated it to the line of panels.  So it was sensitive (only from 6.9Khz up) to the listening position.

When properly adjusted to "your" actual listening sweet spot, it integrated perfectly, but under show conditions, unless you sat in that Sweet Spot, you might get some localization.

BobMajor

« Reply #6 on: 21 Oct 2014, 11:45 pm »

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #7 on: 22 Oct 2014, 12:04 am »
I owned RM/X's for quite some time (2005-2006)  I loved them.  And yes, as per John, the FST needed aiming or your air was taken out of the soundstage and sent upward.  Those were the days I had an RM30 as a center channel.  :)  (room looks wayyyyyy different today)