Replacement FST driver available?

klapse

Replacement FST driver available?
« on: 28 Sep 2014, 10:49 am »
Hi VMPSers,

I was wondering if anyone knows of any source of replacement FST drivers? 

Thanks

BobMajor

Re: Replacement FST driver available?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Sep 2014, 02:50 pm »
This is supposed to be the one used in most VMPS models.
http://www.parts-express.com/aurum-cantus-g2si-ribbon-tweeter--276-400

klapse

« Reply #2 on: 28 Sep 2014, 05:38 pm »
Thanks Bob!

The Aurum Cantus looks to be the same as used in my RM2 with FST.  I ordered 2 in case they go out of production. Thanks to another forum member I will also be getting 4 neo panels.  Now unless some kid comes along and kicks-in my woofers I should be good for a couple of decades of listening enjoyment.

It is hard to see any speaker on the horizon that can replace my RM2s. I wonder how long it will be before a manufacturer decides to emulate Brian's work...

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 2 Oct 2014, 09:51 pm »

It is hard to see any speaker on the horizon that can replace my RM2s. I wonder how long it will be before a manufacturer decides to emulate Brian's work...

As I posted in another thread, I am working with a "new" venture, who are looking to build a VMPS "inspired" speaker line.

I think I may have a prototype to audition by Jan 1 or sooner.

If it is fruitful, I will let everyone know.

DFaulds

« Reply #4 on: 3 Oct 2014, 10:33 am »
As I posted in another thread, I am working with a "new" venture, who are looking to build a VMPS "inspired" speaker line.

I think I may have a prototype to audition by Jan 1 or sooner.

If it is fruitful, I will let everyone know.

John, now that's some interesting news.  Who do you have doing your crossover designs?

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 3 Oct 2014, 09:36 pm »
John, now that's some interesting news.  Who do you have doing your crossover designs?

It is a collaboration with Kat Krossovers, who has known and been studying Brian's Crossovers since 2004.

DFaulds

« Reply #6 on: 6 Oct 2014, 10:58 am »
I've never heard of Kat Krossovers.  Who is their lead designer?

I was thinking maybe you would enlist someone like Dave Ellis or Rick Selah.

John Casler

« Reply #7 on: 13 Oct 2014, 07:24 am »
While both of those fellows are great designers, their designs would substantially change what Brian generally employed.

The idea (for me) is to maintain the foundations of "minimum phase" and other design considerations unique to Brian's legacy.

klapse

« Reply #8 on: 15 Oct 2014, 02:47 am »
Is there any chance to build speakers with Neo panels?

Or would the new speakers be more like Cheney's "pre-neo" speakers, utilising multiple drivers (in phase) across the midrange?

John Casler

« Reply #9 on: 15 Oct 2014, 02:54 am »
If everything goes as is currently the path, they will be VERY similar with a Magnetic Planar Mid-Range covering the major part of the FR, and tweeter and woofer(s) to cover the low and high extremes.

Brian was looking at a few panels, knowing the NeoPanels were limited in supply.  These panels are under consideration.

DFaulds

« Reply #10 on: 15 Oct 2014, 11:40 am »
Although a bit pricey, the BG Neo10 is quite nice.  There are also larger AMT drivers, but as far as I know about the lowest they can be used is in the 600-800Hz range and then they would require a steeper filter.  AMT type drivers are very nice.

Stimpy

« Reply #11 on: 15 Oct 2014, 05:28 pm »
Hi John,

Just a single model to start?  Strictly for the stereo 2-channel crowd?  No centers or subs?

I wish you luck, and I hope this project comes to fruition!  It's always good to have another planar hybrid to choose from.

Keep us updated!  Thanks for the effort!    :D

If everything goes as is currently the path, they will be VERY similar with a Magnetic Planar Mid-Range covering the major part of the FR, and tweeter and woofer(s) to cover the low and high extremes.

Brian was looking at a few panels, knowing the NeoPanels were limited in supply.  These panels are under consideration.

klapse

« Reply #12 on: 18 Oct 2014, 10:26 am »
Just a single model to start?  Strictly for the stereo 2-channel crowd?  No centers or subs?

Not to speak for Mr. Castler, but I don't see the need for a VMPS inspired sub, since there are many that do the job well. What the market is missing is speakers designed around the concept of the planar midrange that handles most of the musical frequencies.

For movies I dont see the demand for such high fidelity in a center channel, but thats just me.

If John builds them I could probably help market them to german hifi shops, and find at least one customer. That is assuming they perform at roughly the level of my RM2s or better.

John Casler

« Reply #13 on: 18 Oct 2014, 10:24 pm »
Hi John,

I wish you luck, and I hope this project comes to fruition!  It's always good to have another planar hybrid to choose from.

Keep us updated!  Thanks for the effort!    :D

At this moment the only thing "in stone" is a speaker line modeled and "inspired" by some of the greatest designs ever.

Primarily those are legendary speakers like the VMPS speakers of Brian Cheney, and the IRS speakers designed by Arnie Nudell.

I have signed an NDA so I am not able to offer specifics at this time, but it is safe to say, that eventually (if well received) there will be High End Stereo, High End Home Theater, and High End Subwoofer(s) to choose from.

None of the present projections are "exact replicas" of the preceding designs, but are intended to be DNA laden descendants of them via technological evolution.

I have also suggested the possibility of a few "tribute" models that would be (almost exact) modern day incarnations of yesterday's legends.

At this point it is wait and see.

I am being very optimistic and attempting to offer the best feedback.

John Casler

« Reply #14 on: 18 Oct 2014, 10:37 pm »
Not to speak for Mr. Castler, but I don't see the need for a VMPS inspired sub, since there are many that do the job well. What the market is missing is speakers designed around the concept of the planar midrange that handles most of the musical frequencies.

For movies I dont see the demand for such high fidelity in a center channel, but thats just me.

If John builds them I could probably help market them to german hifi shops, and find at least one customer. That is assuming they perform at roughly the level of my RM2s or better.

Hi Klapse,

Actually the future of High End will be in Multi-Channel so having HT models (ie: a Center Channel) might be required due to tradition.  The BEST center however for Multi-Channel Audio, would be an exact copy of the L&R speakers.

I will not be building these (unless they offer a kit form) but, if I like them as well as I think, (due to the DNA) I will certainly be involved in marketing and placing them with friends and customers who will enjoy the continuation of the Sonic Signature I have learned to love.