New BG neo 10 planars

Danny Richie

Re: New BG neo 10 planars
« Reply #100 on: 7 Dec 2014, 04:00 pm »
Ric, The 700 AMT and Neo 10's won't work. If you align the wave guide front edge with the baffle then the 700 will be 2.5" behind the Neo 10's. If you align the two acoustic centers then the wave guide will be out in front of the Neo 10's and block and disrupt its output. It would be basically like mounting a baffle over the front of the Neo 10's. So it would be like talking with your hands in front of your mouth.

Ric Schultz

« Reply #101 on: 7 Dec 2014, 10:12 pm »
The Neo 10s would be sideways mounted and be inches away from the waveguide which would be mounted above it.  I would not put it right next to it.  In fact, it could be mounted more than 6 inches away.  My friend with the 2 15 inch woofers has his 12 inch waveguide above the two 15s and therefore the acoustic centers (crossed over at 800hz) are over a foot away from each other.  His speaker images and sounds fantastic.  The waveguide would only slightly disrupt the vertical response below 5-700 and not totally surround the Neo 10s.  There would be no cupped hand sound.  I think it was Miquel Ruiz who said "don't believe anybody.....including yourself".  Our experience is our only truth.  I will have an experience when I get the drivers.  They will do what they will.  You have not done this nor listened to it.  You may be right....it may be horrible.  You may be wrong.  Who cares....just having fun.  I get excited about something new (Aries rising) and like to turn people on to it.  Thinking inside the box is not my idea of fun.  Of course, one could mount the drivers flush and use digital delay to time align (as in my highly modified Behringer or in a computer or Minidsp with external high end DACs or with Core Tech amps and dsp or, etc. etc.)....another option.  So many great roads up the mountain to fantastic sound. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #102 on: 8 Dec 2014, 10:40 pm »
The Neo 10s would be sideways mounted and be inches away from the waveguide which would be mounted above it.  I would not put it right next to it.  In fact, it could be mounted more than 6 inches away.  My friend with the 2 15 inch woofers has his 12 inch waveguide above the two 15s and therefore the acoustic centers (crossed over at 800hz) are over a foot away from each other.  His speaker images and sounds fantastic.  The waveguide would only slightly disrupt the vertical response below 5-700 and not totally surround the Neo 10s.  There would be no cupped hand sound.  I think it was Miquel Ruiz who said "don't believe anybody.....including yourself".  Our experience is our only truth.  I will have an experience when I get the drivers.  They will do what they will.  You have not done this nor listened to it.  You may be right....it may be horrible.  You may be wrong.  Who cares....just having fun.  I get excited about something new (Aries rising) and like to turn people on to it.  Thinking inside the box is not my idea of fun.  Of course, one could mount the drivers flush and use digital delay to time align (as in my highly modified Behringer or in a computer or Minidsp with external high end DACs or with Core Tech amps and dsp or, etc. etc.)....another option.  So many great roads up the mountain to fantastic sound.

I think you are going to be in for some big surprises.

You said you were using Holmimpulse? Does that software even allow using gated time windows?

mojave

« Reply #103 on: 10 Dec 2014, 08:16 pm »
You said you were using Holmimpulse? Does that software even allow using gated time windows?
Yes. It is easy to set. You can see in this image in the impulse response that there is a room reflection at around 4ms with the gating (dashed line) set a little under that. You can drag the dashed line to change the gating. In the frequency response there is a "Gating" note around 300 Hz showing the lower limit of the measurement when under 4 ms is used.

NiToNi

« Reply #104 on: 17 Dec 2014, 03:56 pm »
I have taken extensive measurements of the Neo 10's in all kinds of applications. My experience tells me that putting a wave guide out in front of them will really upset the response.

Hi Danny,

Blasphemy to you perhaps, but if you were to use the Neo10 in a sealed enclosure for midrange, what volume would you use and how would you dampen it? Also would you use a baffle wide enough so as to avoid BSC down to its high-pass corner or would you opt for as narrow as possible for better imaging? In both cases, what sort of sensitivity can be expected from one unit around the crossover frequency (200-300)?

And last question (!) since there is no Xmax spec available for the Neo10, if you high-pass at say 250Hz using LR4, how much peak power would you think they safely could take before they shriiiieeeek....?  :green:

Danny Richie

« Reply #105 on: 17 Dec 2014, 04:38 pm »
Hi Danny,

Blasphemy to you perhaps, but if you were to use the Neo10 in a sealed enclosure for midrange, what volume would you use and how would you dampen it? Also would you use a baffle wide enough so as to avoid BSC down to its high-pass corner or would you opt for as narrow as possible for better imaging? In both cases, what sort of sensitivity can be expected from one unit around the crossover frequency (200-300)?

Been there done that and crossed it to a Neo 3 pdr.

The amount of air space is not critical as it is never going to play below 150Hz. The important thing is that it is not a shallow box. If the air space is too small then it will lift the response at 500hz and cause it to roll off too sharply. I'd go 10 to 12" deep for the best response. And you want to make the baffle as narrow as possible. Adding any width disrupts the response above 800Hz. Play with the deep and watch the response. You can use the air space to adjust the knee in the lower range. That is where it loads and where it starts to drop.

And 92.5db is what I got with it.

And you can cross in the 200Hz to 300Hz range with no problem.

And last question (!) since there is no Xmax spec available for the Neo10, if you high-pass at say 250Hz using LR4, how much peak power would you think they safely could take before they shriiiieeeek....?  :green:

You won't need a high order crossover at all. The acoustic drop will be pretty steep in a sealed box, and a first order is all that you need to protect it. With just a first order filter on it you can play the crap out of it.

And when you are ready for the Neo 10's let me know. I do keep them in stock.

NiToNi

« Reply #106 on: 18 Dec 2014, 12:16 am »
Thanks, Danny - that's valuable advice!

Been there done that and crossed it to a Neo 3 pdr.

Shall I read that as running them monopole is a waste of their good qualities...?

Do you ship to the UK? Do you have the matching face plates or "frames"?

Danny Richie

« Reply #107 on: 18 Dec 2014, 12:42 am »
Thanks, Danny - that's valuable advice!

Shall I read that as running them monopole is a waste of their good qualities...?

Do you ship to the UK? Do you have the matching face plates or "frames"?

They still sounded really good in mono-pole.

I do ship to the UK.

I do not have matching face plates or frames for the Neo 10.