Buy or lease? BMW 228ix or Mercedes CLA250 4-matic?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Buy or lease? BMW 228ix or Mercedes CLA250 4-matic?
« on: 16 Dec 2014, 07:29 pm »
I drive a Ford Flex hybrid because it allows me into a key commuting route that is HOV restricted.  Plus, I don't require race-car specs or fancy faceplate on my wheels.  On the other hand, my 78 year old mother is very selective.  I provide the wheels for her and I have been leasing a Mercedes C class for her the last 12 years.  She likes cars with solid weight,  good thrust and adroit handling.  One time I switched from a C320 to a C280 and she complained about lack of power.  :duh:  I am going all-wheel just because we do get snow and sleet in the winter around here.  To explore all options, I requested for an auto loan at my bank and got approved for a really good rate below what BMW or Mercedes offers to finance.  So, I am looking at purchase options with 72 month financing as well.   

Would you buy or lease?
Which one would you choose?

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
Re: Buy or lease? BMW 228ix or Mercedes CLA250 4-matic?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2014, 07:40 pm »
I've had very good luck with MB. 
They make a very good 6 cylinder engine, from what I've heard. 
But, I like the 500. ( 5.0/ V8.)  built very strong.

Good luck.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2014, 07:40 pm »
I would buy a bimmer !
'cause I leased a bimmer, and now own a 2013 3-series. 

Crimson

« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2014, 08:22 pm »
If you like driving new cars every few years, lease it. If you want to keep it, buy it.

mcgsxr

« Reply #4 on: 16 Dec 2014, 08:24 pm »
Of the 2 I would go with the MB.  She likes them, and with my aging parents, familiarity in the cockpit pays dividends.  My father is on his 3rd Lincoln.

For me, I would not buy either of those cars (I owned a BMW in my younger days, and the cost of maintenance beyond 100K miles took a tremendous turn north), but would lease the BMW.  I miss driving mine, but not the surprise $ spent on things that went strangely wrong.

Nothing against MB, they make great cars, but they do nothing for me.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #5 on: 16 Dec 2014, 08:53 pm »
Of the 2 I would go with the MB.  She likes them, and with my aging parents, familiarity in the cockpit pays dividends.  My father is on his 3rd Lincoln.

For me, I would not buy either of those cars (I owned a BMW in my younger days, and the cost of maintenance beyond 100K miles took a tremendous turn north), but would lease the BMW.  I miss driving mine, but not the surprise $ spent on things that went strangely wrong.

Nothing against MB, they make great cars, but they do nothing for me.

well I sold my first 3-series when the mileage was at around 90K without any significant spending on the repair. I still think it makes more sense to buy it as you do not need to care about miles/year. Lease makes sense only if you drive less 10K miles/year, then one can get a good deal.

RDavidson

« Reply #6 on: 16 Dec 2014, 09:07 pm »
If you like driving new cars every few years, lease it. If you want to keep it, buy it.

+1 Lease if you don't plan to keep the car more than about 2 years. At that point (assuming you didn't put money down, which really doesn't make sense with a lease) is when you should either start paying on the car to own it, OR lease another car.
Note, I say it doesn't make sense to put money down on a lease because that's just money you could be keeping in your own pocket and gaining interest on. When you make a down payment on a lease all you are doing is giving the bank/dealer an advance on your payments....which they love. But this really does nothing for you at the end of the day if the monthly bill is managable to you (with no money down). I'm assuming it is, or you wouldn't be shopping for luxury import cars. :thumb:

ctviggen

« Reply #7 on: 16 Dec 2014, 09:08 pm »
I am the only person who thinks that 100k miles means the car is just getting broken in?  ;-)  I've kept all my cars well over 100k. 

Will she be driving in 6 years?  Maybe you could look into what it would cost to lease then buy.  I bought my Snaab (hence the "viggen" moniker) using a lease then purchase, and I had calculated at that time it was cheaper to do this than to buy.  That was for Saab, though, which always had trouble selling cars at a high price. 

Personally, unless you want the car or think it'll be worth more than the price it is in four years or so, I'd lease.

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #8 on: 16 Dec 2014, 09:08 pm »
One thing I find common about MB cars/trucks. Is that they need to be driven. If you leave them in the garage all week and only drive them once a week, they don't like that. They need to be driven. Often.

I have a ML500, it's a beast, but a controllable beast. Lots of torque and traction.  :thumb:

Carl V

« Reply #9 on: 16 Dec 2014, 09:33 pm »
lease or buy is a personal finance question.
I would go for the BMW.  I like the looks of the MB better.
But an acquaintance has one & the fit n-finish wasn't
what he expected.  The drive was 'ok. Not great.

Oddly enough this month CAR & DRIVER came to a similar
conclusion of the Class MB.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #10 on: 16 Dec 2014, 09:41 pm »
I am the only person who thinks that 100k miles means the car is just getting broken in?  ;-)  I've kept all my cars well over 100k. 

No, I usually wait until a car reaches 100K before I buy it!  I like to spend $3K  to $5K on a car and drive it til the wheels fall off.  More money for audio!

FireGuy

« Reply #11 on: 17 Dec 2014, 01:17 am »
No, I usually wait until a car reaches 100K before I buy it!  I like to spend $3K  to $5K on a car and drive it til the wheels fall off.  More money for audio!

Buying new cars is just bad ROI, imo.    I bought my CTS with 85K and now has 128K and will go toe to toe with most performance cars out there.  I'm definitely in that camp where 100K means it's broken in.

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #12 on: 17 Dec 2014, 01:30 am »
I don't personally have a 4-matic. My four wheel drive system is a bit different.
But, I have heard very good things about the 4-matic system. It's populare in the MB line for a reason. It works very well.

Doublej

« Reply #13 on: 17 Dec 2014, 02:07 am »

DS-21

« Reply #14 on: 17 Dec 2014, 03:52 am »
The CLA is the worst car I've ever sat in or driven in the 21st century of any type and at any price. We looked at one for my wife last year, and were completely unimpressed. The interior is cheap and tacky - worse than a Ford Focus rental I had for a few days while my rear bumper was being repaired -  the steering has neuropathy (even compared to an über-toaster like my current daily driver, a Lexus CT200h!), and the driveline's most notable feature is turbo/slushbox lag.

It does look pretty sharp from outside, but its virtues end there.
« Last Edit: 20 Dec 2014, 03:59 am by DS-21 »

George3

« Reply #15 on: 17 Dec 2014, 06:04 am »
Just to confuse the issue, I am in complete disagreement with DS-21 regarding the CLA.  We own the CLA 4-matic and absolutely love it.  I also own a C350 and a SL55 AMG.  Three weeks ago we took the CLA to Demver simply because it was a 4 wheel drive. Through snow, rain and fog this car performed admirably.  Nary a slip or slide and I was booking right along feeling perfectly safe while seeing a number of SUV's on the median and shoulder who were not able to stay on the road.   No doubt my snow tires contributed to this. To me, the seats are perfect, comfortable and tight fitting.  Yes, it's a four cylinder and and yes there is some turbo lag, however one quickly learns to mitigate those aspects by adjusting your driving technique.  However, in my opinion, one would be hard pressed to find such a great package in that price range. 

What it comes down to is you test driving both cars and from that making the decision that is best for you.....

George

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #16 on: 17 Dec 2014, 01:26 pm »

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #17 on: 17 Dec 2014, 02:18 pm »
I have a few friends that drive the in line 4 cylinder MB, for fuel mileage purposes. But, personally I would skip to the 300/320/v6. They are both awesome engines. Anything with the 300/320 in it is going to roll down the highway very nicely. Especially with the newer body/frame technology. More hp/torque per pound..

I personally don't like the little MB models, I prefer the bigger sedans/trucks/suv's.

(I would lease, I4's w/ turbos are susceptible to maintenance issues, compared to standard v6 or v8 engines. IMHO)

KKM

« Reply #18 on: 17 Dec 2014, 09:26 pm »
Check Consumer Reports reliability on the CLA, it was pretty bad, 140% worst then average. It's a compilation of owners experience:

http://www.businessinsider.com/consumer-reports-mercedes-benz-cla-worst-car-in-lineup-2014-10

sts9fan

« Reply #19 on: 17 Dec 2014, 09:41 pm »
Don't stress on the AWD.  Just get snow tires.  2WD and snow tires is better then AWD and no snow tires.  Obviously AWD and Snows is the best.