JC's VMPS Cut or Cuts of the Day

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
Re: JC's VMPS Cut or Cuts of the Day
« Reply #60 on: 2 Oct 2010, 01:03 am »
BJ,

While you can't make it to RMAF, why don't you send your best cuts with me so we'll think as though you'll be there with us. :)

John Casler

« Reply #61 on: 2 Oct 2010, 07:51 am »
BJ,

While you can't make it to RMAF, why don't you send your best cuts with me so we'll think as though you'll be there with us. :)

Your Hughness,

You should certainly take some of my and others Ref Cut suggestions to the show.

Chances are you will hear a lot of them, as well as NEW ones there.  A good many of them came from being at shows and hearing what people brought in to play in the various rooms.

I will be there "in spririt".  Looking forward to the RMAF reports.

John Casler

« Reply #62 on: 2 Oct 2010, 08:24 am »
While many have heard Ref Cuts of Celine DION, Diana Krall, Holly Cole, Sarah Brightman, SADE, etc, here is a female vocalist some may not have heard of who Has been in my Reference Rotation for years.

Artist: BASIA

Album: London Warsaw New York

Cut: Cruising for a Bruising

Basia is not only smoking HOT, she can sing those sultry, jazzy, numbers as good as the best in the world.  Many of her early cuts are about her broken relationship with her band member and co-writer Danny White.

Virtually every cut on every album is Reference Quality.

Lots of Latin European beat and great Sax work.

MORE:

One of my favorites Basia Until You Come back to Me  In this video you see here former lover, but now partner Danny White playing the piano in his funny little trademark hat.

Basia - Masquerade

Basia Brave new Hope

John Casler

« Reply #63 on: 2 Oct 2010, 08:46 am »
Well since that late cup of tea is keeping me awake, I may as well add a couple more Ref Cuts of some of my favorite female vocalist.

How about in the same vein of that Latin Beat but with a more domestic SALSA with Gloria Estefan and the Miami Sound Machine.

She is another female vocalist who can lay down some tracks that you just can't keep your ears away from once they start flowing.

Artist: Gloria Estefan and The Miami Sound Machine

Album:Gloria Estefan - Greatest Hits

Cut: Anything for You

Or the jumpin Latin beat of Rhythm Is Gonna Get You

What do you get when you put two of my favorite female vocalist together?

Gloria Estefan & Celine Dion Conga

« Last Edit: 2 Oct 2010, 08:56 pm by John Casler »

John Casler

« Reply #64 on: 2 Oct 2010, 09:08 am »
OK, as long as I brought Celine into the mix.

Here is a BIG VMPS Reference Cut.  This is the cut that helped Brian win BEST of SHOW in 2002 with the RM-40s.

He played this cut and had the judges "in tears" during the performance.

I have a pair of those RM40s and have to say that it is one of the most emotionally gripping cuts you can listen to,and even more so if you have recently seen the film and the scene it depicts.

Artist: Celine Dion

Album: Greatest Hits of Celine Dion

Cut: My Heart Will Go On

John Casler

« Reply #65 on: 2 Oct 2010, 09:27 am »
And not to let anyone think that Celine has the corner on the BEST version of this song.

There are some youngsters HOT  :flame: on her "high" heels.

Here is a young vocalist Charice Pempengco who actually puts more RAW EMOTION into that same Ref Cut than Dion.

What do you think?

This cute little Phillipino Girl has become a YouTube Phenomena and now is on GLEE.  She has a set of pipes and heart to match.

Just look at this video and start looking for her on CD's and Downloads.  She is on the same level as Aguilar and Dion and just a teenager.

LOOK OUT!  Kinda funny to notice the difference between hair, make-up, and wardrobe from the first video (up top) and the Album Cover.

If someone doesn't give her bad direction, this girl will be belting some Ref Cuts for some time. :thumb:

Here is here title track of her first Album PYRAMID which is a little more "hip hop".

PS:  Okay, I just couldn't leave well enough alone.  I know, I know, it is Ellen Degeneres, but you got to take a look at the video of this girl when she is 15 and her first time in the US.

If you can watch this video and not get connected to the EMOTIONAL POWER this kidoo can pack into her vocals you may not have a pulse.

PSS: You want to see a teenager get the whole of Madison Square Garden to their feet?  Charice duet with Celine Dion "Because You Loved Me" at Madison Square Garden September 15, 2008

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #66 on: 4 Oct 2010, 10:05 pm »
Hey John....

How about two nice soundtracks.... :wink:

One....
Short tunes....to the point....good variety of sounds...some deep bass....some nice "tingles" on top...

American Beauty Soundtrack...

A few You Tube samples....

Track 7....

Track 19....

Two...
Vocals are "rich" here.....provided by the Harlem Boys Choir....music by James Horner.
A gorgeous, deeply moving score....

Glory...Soundtrack

Sample...

Sample....

Happy listening.... :thumb:

John Casler

« Reply #67 on: 5 Oct 2010, 07:50 pm »
Hey John....

How about two nice soundtracks.... :wink:

One....
Short tunes....to the point....good variety of sounds...some deep bass....some nice "tingles" on top...

American Beauty Soundtrack...

A few You Tube samples....

Track 7....

Track 19....

Two...
Vocals are "rich" here.....provided by the Harlem Boys Choir....music by James Horner.
A gorgeous, deeply moving score....

Glory...Soundtrack

Sample...

Sample....

Happy listening.... :thumb:

Chris,

Thanks for the additions.  I use the American Beauty Track (2nd one) all the time, but haven't heard the first cut you reference which on my computer, sound like my exact STUFF

I will also have to give ole GLORY a good listen too when I can pick up the CD.

John Casler

« Reply #68 on: 10 Oct 2010, 11:29 pm »
A bit off the path again, but if you're looking for higher quality Internet Radio to listen to as you pound the keyboard

LOOK HERE for 192 kbps stations.

Here is another that "lists" the bitrate

*Scotty*

« Reply #69 on: 14 Oct 2010, 02:49 pm »
For real fans of the Blade Runner music, in case you missed it, here is the 25th Anniversary edition 3CD Blade Runner soundtrack with previously unreleased music that was used in the movie.

These newly released tracks are stunning in their clarity and show the technology differences between the initial release in June of 1994 and the December 2007 release of the additional material. Link to Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Blade-Runner-Trilogy-25th-Anniversary/dp/B000Z0OX9O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1287064814&sr=8-2-catcorr
Scotty

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #70 on: 23 Oct 2010, 05:16 am »
Here's a track that you'll hear today John..... :beer:

Link.....

John Casler

« Reply #71 on: 23 Oct 2010, 03:37 pm »
Here's a track that you'll hear today John..... :beer:

Link.....

Very COOL :thumb:

Thanks.

This cut is appropriate to this day

John Casler

« Reply #72 on: 23 Oct 2010, 03:39 pm »
For real fans of the Blade Runner music, in case you missed it, here is the 25th Anniversary edition 3CD Blade Runner soundtrack with previously unreleased music that was used in the movie.

These newly released tracks are stunning in their clarity and show the technology differences between the initial release in June of 1994 and the December 2007 release of the additional material. Link to Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Blade-Runner-Trilogy-25th-Anniversary/dp/B000Z0OX9O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1287064814&sr=8-2-catcorr
Scotty

Hi Scotty,

I missed this.  Thanks for updating on Vangelis/Blade Runner.  It is a great score.

John Casler

« Reply #73 on: 23 Oct 2010, 03:53 pm »
Been a while and I need to catch up with Ref Cuts.

I know many are not into Country, but I am a sucker for a well produced cut with a legendary artist, a great story line, and a video montage.

Here's Willy and "City of New Orleans". (oddly enough about a train, its passengers and crew, and its path)

John Casler

« Reply #74 on: 31 Oct 2010, 11:43 pm »
Talk about CLASSIC ROCK Reference Cuts, how about Chrissie Hinds and The PRETENDERS?

Reviewing a Classical CD from Yarlung today (more about which I will post later) and somehow Chrissy and the PRETENDERS Greatest Hits jumped onto my CD Player.

Just pick anything she/they have done and you are listening to Rock and Roll History.

Is some of it "overproduced"? Maybe yes, maybe no.  They are the standard Guitar, Bass Guitar, Drum, Lead Singer group, and man what a Female Vocalist she is!!!.

Since I am from OHIO, I have a tendency to recognize some of the Buckeye and Mid Western Groups a bit more.

These guys were great and represented some of that RAW Rock'nRoll. :thumb:

Layered, Rythmic, Lyrical and Musical.

I'll Stand by You

Back on the Chain Gang

John Casler

« Reply #75 on: 1 Nov 2010, 02:38 am »
Some time ago I wrote a post about a CD from Yarlung Records.  It was one of the "ONLY" well produced and engineered Piano recordings I had ever heard with a Piano that actually imaged like a "life sized" Piano, not some "room sized" Keyboard.

It was this CD of David Fung

I also liked the Janaki String Trio (which I now plan on re-visititing)

Bob Attiyeh is a very dedicated and personable fellow and LOVES recording great performances for Audiophiles.

He recently sent me 2 CD's to listen to and it is kind of a funny story.

The CD's are:

1) Inner World
Music by David S. Lefkowitz

and

2) Antonio Lysy at The Broad
Music from Argentina

Which was recently honored with a Latin Grammy Nomination.

So anyhow I recieve both CD's and they came at a very busy time.  I hadn't actually listened to my system in a while and when I did get a chance to quickly run through them, to be quite frank I found them nice recordings, but rather un-involving.

I spent most of the time on the Cellist Lysy CD and while a second run through gave me reasonable appreciation for the engineering quality, I still didn't connect to the music.

Well that changed BIG TIME today.  I was reintroducing my VMPS Subwoofers flanking my RM40s and blending them with the Rm40s.  I found out that I had a HUMMMMMM in my system and tracked it down and removed it.

I then just totally freaked out at how BLACK and QUIET my listening space was now.  I had been hearing this hum (noise) and simply mentally blocking it out while it was making the music BLAHHHHH.

So I spun up the Yarlung Music from Argentina and I was simply knocked out.

Oh the quality of this recording on a well tuned system. :o  From top to bottom you hear sonic pleasures of LIVE performers as good, if not better, than I have EVER heard before.

The Cello is quite a wonderful instrument that has an exceptional range and in the right hands some of the sounds that can be created are truly incredible.

But now that I had solved my NOISE problems and my concious and subconcious were able to melt into the music, I now made the connection and with eyes close had the artist, or artists in front of me performing the most incredible music.

Now aside from Yo Yo Ma, I haven't spent a lot of time with Cello Centric CD's.  And I won't say Lysy plays rings around Yo Yo, but I will say I heard Cellistic sounds and music that I have NOT heard from any previous artist.

And as I mentioned earlier, the miking and engineering here is SECOND TO NONE.

The rich harmonic overtones, from the strings, to the cellos surface, to its resonating body gave this recording a truly special sound.

You combine that with the passion with which Lysy (and the other musicians/particulalrly the pianist) perform and you have CD Magic.

Now I cannot guarantee you will connect with this CD in the same way for many different reasons, as Cello Faire may not be your cup'o tea, but if you are looking for some great classical music to listen to seriously then this could be it.

And I might add that it would also be EXCEPTIONAL to use as backround music for a HIGH CLASS Dinner party too.  It has that Latin Tango type lilt to it.

I don't know how much you can tell from listening to the tracks on your computer, but you can go HERE and take a listen.

This CD is definately included in my "CLASSICAL" Reference Discs.

John Casler

« Reply #76 on: 2 Nov 2010, 06:49 am »
Maybe not an absolute Reference Cut, but an IMPRESSIVE cut none the less.

My Daughter lives in NY, and I have had occasion to ride the subway and unless you are from a city that has rail travel as a basic means of transportation, or have spent some time on the subways, you might not get the feel for this video.

But, from the band members, to the instruments they have chosen, to the riders who "bop" along with them to the riders who totally ignore them, this is a GREAT video.

Except for all the sunshine streaming through the windows, it is "SO" NY Subway.

Tell me you can listen to it all the way through and not be captured with the exhuberance bringing you to tap your toe, bop your head of even get up and move those bones.

Hell, I'm 62 and I'm all over the place on this cut. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is this what the world is coming too?

Steve Job's you are "THE MAN".

Yes, there's an APP for that.

HISTORY OF THE VIDEO
« Last Edit: 2 Nov 2010, 07:55 pm by John Casler »

John Casler

« Reply #77 on: 2 Nov 2010, 07:22 am »
And lest you don't think these guys are the REAL DEAL

Interestingly enough, it looks like the drummer drums in reverse.

That his he uses his RIGHT hand for the snare, and LEFT for the top hat and ride cymbal, which is the opposite of the norm.
« Last Edit: 2 Nov 2010, 07:48 pm by John Casler »

Bob Attiyeh

• Industry Participant
    • Yarlung Records
« Reply #78 on: 4 Nov 2010, 01:58 am »
Some time ago I wrote a post about a CD from Yarlung Records.  It was one of the "ONLY" well produced and engineered Piano recordings I had ever heard with a Piano that actually imaged like a "life sized" Piano, not some "room sized" Keyboard.

It was this CD of David Fung

I also liked the Janaki String Trio (which I now plan on re-visititing)

Bob Attiyeh is a very dedicated and personable fellow and LOVES recording great performances for Audiophiles.

He recently sent me 2 CD's to listen to and it is kind of a funny story.

The CD's are:

1) Inner World
Music by David S. Lefkowitz

and

2) Antonio Lysy at The Broad
Music from Argentina

Which was recently honored with a Latin Grammy Nomination.

So anyhow I recieve both CD's and they came at a very busy time.  I hadn't actually listened to my system in a while and when I did get a chance to quickly run through them, to be quite frank I found them nice recordings, but rather un-involving.

I spent most of the time on the Cellist Lysy CD and while a second run through gave me reasonable appreciation for the engineering quality, I still didn't connect to the music.

Well that changed BIG TIME today.  I was reintroducing my VMPS Subwoofers flanking my RM40s and blending them with the Rm40s.  I found out that I had a HUMMMMMM in my system and tracked it down and removed it.

I then just totally freaked out at how BLACK and QUIET my listening space was now.  I had been hearing this hum (noise) and simply mentally blocking it out while it was making the music BLAHHHHH.

So I spun up the Yarlung Music from Argentina and I was simply knocked out.

Oh the quality of this recording on a well tuned system. :o  From top to bottom you hear sonic pleasures of LIVE performers as good, if not better, than I have EVER heard before.

The Cello is quite a wonderful instrument that has an exceptional range and in the right hands some of the sounds that can be created are truly incredible.

But now that I had solved my NOISE problems and my concious and subconcious were able to melt into the music, I now made the connection and with eyes close had the artist, or artists in front of me performing the most incredible music.

Now aside from Yo Yo Ma, I haven't spent a lot of time with Cello Centric CD's.  And I won't say Lysy plays rings around Yo Yo, but I will say I heard Cellistic sounds and music that I have NOT heard from any previous artist.

And as I mentioned earlier, the miking and engineering here is SECOND TO NONE.

The rich harmonic overtones, from the strings, to the cellos surface, to its resonating body gave this recording a truly special sound.

You combine that with the passion with which Lysy (and the other musicians/particulalrly the pianist) perform and you have CD Magic.

Now I cannot guarantee you will connect with this CD in the same way for many different reasons, as Cello Faire may not be your cup'o tea, but if you are looking for some great classical music to listen to seriously then this could be it.

And I might add that it would also be EXCEPTIONAL to use as backround music for a HIGH CLASS Dinner party too.  It has that Latin Tango type lilt to it.

I don't know how much you can tell from listening to the tracks on your computer, but you can go HERE and take a listen.

This CD is definately included in my "CLASSICAL" Reference Discs.

Wow John, thank you so much for your post! This is what we live for, and what keeps us going at Yarlung Records.  I've been joking with people who wonder how it is that we are still in business during the recession.  Unlike AIG, we are "Too Small to Fail."  Being a tiny record label (with only two of us working here full time) is truly an advantage right now. 

But your comments remind us why we do what we do.  Thank you so much John. 

I'm glad you like Antonio Lysy's album too.  We are off to Las Vegas next week.  Hard to believe.  Our first time at anything like the Latin GRAMMY awards.  We'll keep our fingers crossed.  Just being nominated is a great thing, and we will be proud to be in the audience regardless of who wins.

For those of you (like John) who are intelligent fanatics about the size of the soundstage, and the accuracy of the placement of musicians on stage, I should mention a great gizmo we used last weekend for our recording of Rite of Spring and Shostakovich's first symphony at Ambassador Hall in Pasadena.  An additional challenge making a recording in a concert environment is that one doesn't have time to go to a great listening room and check the sound stage, the balance, the tonality, etc.  I've struggled with headphones trying to figure this out on the fly, and I have become fairly adept.  But I great listening room has always been better for me than what I could train myself to hear with headphones.  Here comes the connection to John's point about the size and location of the piano in Evening Conversations:

Elliot Midwood (whom many of you know at Acoustic Image in Studio City) told me about the Smyth headphone amplifier which he saw and heard demonstrated at AES last year.  Stephen Smyth (based in Northern Ireland I think) developed algorithms to give your headphone listening experience a soundstage similar to what one hears listening to a perfectly setup room with stereo playback.  With the Smyth algorithm turned on, one can indeed hear the soundstage, in front of you (not on top of your head) and around to the sides as the music is supposed to be.  I wrote to Stephen and asked if I could borrow a demo set for the weekend, and he said yes.  I met with the local rep, a very nice fellow named Lorr, and he configured the set to my head width and the shape of my ears, such that I did in fact "hear the room" at Acoustic Image.  But I was wearing the headphones.  It worked well in the recording when we had very little time to make adjustments. 

This sort of equipment could revolutionize the way we hear audiophile music, especially music we're listening to a digital medium.  If you're interested, look for this company at the next AES convention or audio show.  Definitely worth experiencing.  Here's a link:  http://www.smyth-research.com/products.html
I look forward to using these again in the future.

John, you mention Yo Yo Ma, also a hero of mine.  I'd love to know what you think of his version of Piazzolla's Le Grand Tango, which we also recorded on Antonio's album.  Ma's was my introduction to the piece, and he does a very special job.  Antonio has Argentine blood, however, and I think it makes a difference in the authenticity of the performance.  Ma's version is on his Soul of the Tango album.

And John, if you're becoming a 'cello-ophile in addition to being an audiophile, I should send you Dialoghi, with 'cellist Elinor Frey.  This has become Bob Levi's favorite reference recording apparently.  We chose a very different presentation of the instrument for this album, and I'll be curious to know what you think.  You can also hear some of the tracks here by clicking on the "listen" button:

http://www.yarlungrecords.com/#dialoghi1

John Casler

« Reply #79 on: 4 Nov 2010, 06:47 pm »
Wow John, thank you so much for your post! This is what we live for, and what keeps us going at Yarlung Records.  I've been joking with people who wonder how it is that we are still in business during the recession.  Unlike AIG, we are "Too Small to Fail."  Being a tiny record label (with only two of us working here full time) is truly an advantage right now. 

But your comments remind us why we do what we do.  Thank you so much John.

Glad you do what you do as there are "few" who have such dedication to the Higher End Audio Community.

I'm glad you like Antonio Lysy's album too.  We are off to Las Vegas next week.  Hard to believe.  Our first time at anything like the Latin GRAMMY awards.  We'll keep our fingers crossed.  Just being nominated is a great thing, and we will be proud to be in the audience regardless of who wins.

Good luck with that.

For those of you (like John) who are intelligent fanatics about the size of the soundstage, and the accuracy of the placement of musicians on stage, I should mention a great gizmo we used last weekend for our recording of Rite of Spring and Shostakovich's first symphony at Ambassador Hall in Pasadena.  An additional challenge making a recording in a concert environment is that one doesn't have time to go to a great listening room and check the sound stage, the balance, the tonality, etc.  I've struggled with headphones trying to figure this out on the fly, and I have become fairly adept.  But I great listening room has always been better for me than what I could train myself to hear with headphones.  Here comes the connection to John's point about the size and location of the piano in Evening Conversations:

Elliot Midwood (whom many of you know at Acoustic Image in Studio City) told me about the Smyth headphone amplifier which he saw and heard demonstrated at AES last year.  Stephen Smyth (based in Northern Ireland I think) developed algorithms to give your headphone listening experience a soundstage similar to what one hears listening to a perfectly setup room with stereo playback.  With the Smyth algorithm turned on, one can indeed hear the soundstage, in front of you (not on top of your head) and around to the sides as the music is supposed to be.  I wrote to Stephen and asked if I could borrow a demo set for the weekend, and he said yes.  I met with the local rep, a very nice fellow named Lorr, and he configured the set to my head width and the shape of my ears, such that I did in fact "hear the room" at Acoustic Image.  But I was wearing the headphones.  It worked well in the recording when we had very little time to make adjustments. 

This sort of equipment could revolutionize the way we hear audiophile music, especially music we're listening to a digital medium.  If you're interested, look for this company at the next AES convention or audio show.  Definitely worth experiencing.  Here's a link:  http://www.smyth-research.com/products.html
I look forward to using these again in the future.

I have been familiar with these for some time, but have yet to use them.

John, you mention Yo Yo Ma, also a hero of mine.  I'd love to know what you think of his version of Piazzolla's Le Grand Tango, which we also recorded on Antonio's album.  Ma's was my introduction to the piece, and he does a very special job.  Antonio has Argentine blood, however, and I think it makes a difference in the authenticity of the performance.  Ma's version is on his Soul of the Tango album.

And John, if you're becoming a 'cello-ophile in addition to being an audiophile, I should send you Dialoghi, with 'cellist Elinor Frey.  This has become Bob Levi's favorite reference recording apparently.  We chose a very different presentation of the instrument for this album, and I'll be curious to know what you think.  You can also hear some of the tracks here by clicking on the "listen" button:

http://www.yarlungrecords.com/#dialoghi1

I don't know if I am a "cello-ophile" or not, but my ears always look for bold and creatively interesting sonic presentation and this CD does demonstrate Lysy's talents, as well as YOUR attention to sonic production detail.