Holy Mackerel !!! WOW !!! 15" PR replacement is amazing !

RSorak

• Facilitator
If you own a VMPS speaker that uses the 15" Passive Radiator and you have not upgraded/replaced your PR, I HIGHLY recommend you do so. I just got my replacements this morning and the bass is tighter and deeper and better in every way possible. And this only based on an immediate 1st impression with no break in/tuning time. The replacement PR's are a much stouter construction and make the original ones feel flimsy by comparison. I had replaced the foams on my original PR's several years ago/ and glued treated the cones and I also noticed upon removing them, that the original spiders had since failed.

To install the new Pr's I enlarged the cutouts so they sat down in them like the originals, the holes only need to enlarged about 1/16" all the way around. I am running 5 washers ATM. This is in my Super Tower R/SE's. They are now sounding better than they EVER have.....and that's saying something. Contact John Casler to get them.

Thanks  Rick

John Casler

Re: Holy Mackerel !!! WOW !!! 15" PR replacement is amazing !
« Reply #1 on: 16 Mar 2015, 06:32 pm »
If you own a VMPS speaker that uses the 15" Passive Radiator and you have not upgraded/replaced your PR, I HIGHLY recommend you do so. I just got my replacements this morning and the bass is tighter and deeper and better in every way possible. And this only based on an immediate 1st impression with no break in/tuning time. The replacement PR's are a much stouter construction and make the original ones feel flimsy by comparison. I had replaced the foams on my original PR's several years ago/ and glued treated the cones and I also noticed upon removing them, that the original spiders had since failed.

To install the new Pr's I enlarged the cutouts so they sat down in them like the originals, the holes only need to enlarged about 1/16" all the way around. I am running 5 washers ATM. This is in my Super Tower R/SE's. They are now sounding better than they EVER have.....and that's saying something. Contact John Casler to get them.

Thanks  Rick

Hi Rick,

Glad you received your UltraMega Passives OK and go them installed.

Now you know why we call them ULTRA-MEGA.  They are like the stock PR on STEROIDS!!!

You comments are typical and I found the same thing when I first installed "just one" of these as a TEST in my 4 LARGER SUBS.

That is, I only installed a single PR and left the other three stock.  The difference with just one was VERY STRONG and now I have done all 4.

Yours is the first use in the Towers, so that is important to know. 

Again, glad you are happy.

RSorak

• Facilitator
« Reply #2 on: 16 Mar 2015, 06:46 pm »
The boxes were beat to hell, but the contents arrived unharmed.

Again this is a CHEAP upgrade compared to the price of the speakers and MORE than worth every penny!
Again, If you own a VMPS that uses these PR's, replace the originals, NOW. You wont regret it.

ST86

« Reply #3 on: 17 Mar 2015, 04:27 pm »
Rick,

Which 15" and 12" drivers are you using in your Supertowers?  I would think that would have an effect on how the PRs perform.  When you say "running 5 washers" does that mean the weight you are using to tune the passives?

John,

Are these ultra-mega 15" passives still available?  I'd be interested in two for my Supertower/R.

Thanks,

Ed

John Casler

« Reply #4 on: 17 Mar 2015, 04:33 pm »
Rick,

Which 15" and 12" drivers are you using in your Supertowers?  I would think that would have an effect on how the PRs perform.  When you say "running 5 washers" does that mean the weight you are using to tune the passives?

John,

Are these ultra-mega 15" passives still available?  I'd be interested in two for my Supertower/R.

Thanks,

Ed

The UltraMegas are still available through the OEM Brian and I was working with ($115 plus shipping)  PM me for details.

They have one slight mod to make them work best with the VMPS.  They can be "surface mounted" without having to modify the speaker if you like (that is what I did on my LARGERS.

They have a metal washer System but you can also apply putty to them if you wish to "fine tune".  The system is pretty unique and patented.

ST86

« Reply #5 on: 17 Mar 2015, 04:36 pm »
Thanks John.  Probably a dumb question but $115 each or per pair?

Ed

John Casler

« Reply #6 on: 17 Mar 2015, 05:00 pm »
Each, but they are comparable in construction to those costing more like the TC Sounds (which Brian also considered, but was not delicate enough and was too expensive)

spitfun

« Reply #7 on: 25 Mar 2015, 12:43 pm »
I just received mine,here is a picture of what they look like-quite an upgrade from what I can see...The center unscrews and you put washers in to weigh down the cone. Hopefully they sound as good as they look!! Rich  :thumb: