Solid State Rectification for Tube Amp

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
Re: Solid State Rectification for Tube Amp
« Reply #1 on: 18 Aug 2015, 08:30 pm »
Hello,

I would not recommend either.  Those are slow into error, and ring on recovery.  Further, you may need high voltage, but certainly not current.  Try these: http://www.soniccraft.com/product_info.php/fairchild-stealth-diode-8a1200v-p-1934  You or your man will need to wire them up in a bridge, but that will be pretty easy.  Bear in mind that the back tap is cathode connected.

BTW, I'm not sure of your level of understanding, so feel free to ask any questions you might have.  There are no stupid questions.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2015, 11:19 am »
Thanks Jeff you most kind. :thumb:
Also you guess I not a expert and I would like to see a image or schema from the 4 diodes connected.
I also would like to fix they in a alu heatsink.

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: 19 Aug 2015, 04:33 pm »

The stripe on one end of the diode symbol indicates the cathode ("Cathode Stripe").  My link to the diode above diagrams cathode/anode...  These diodes are quite efficient.  With the relatively low current requirement that you have, they do not need to be heat sinked.  Depending on how hot your amp runs, a heat sink can pick up heat.  In any event, if you still feel the need to heat sink, I'd recommend inexpensive individual sinks like this: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Aavid-Thermalloy/574502B00000G/?qs=%2fha2pyFadugZZ%252bZWyO2MB%252bnsVmhoAjiN2eZmbSJCCsvaCBlzih%252b3Tw%3d%3d

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 20 Aug 2015, 08:58 am »
Thanks Jeff, you very efficient as ever.
If I understand right it is?

I wonder how to solder it with the legs of the square diode?
« Last Edit: 24 Aug 2015, 11:07 am by FullRangeMan »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 24 Aug 2015, 11:08 am »
Found a image w/other shape of Diodes.

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: 28 Aug 2015, 11:19 pm »
That looks right to me.  If you happen to buy my parts, or similar parts, that are TO-220 packages, you may have more questions once you have the parts in hand.  Let me know and we'll take it from there. Have a great weekend  :green:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 1 Sep 2015, 12:27 pm »
Thanks Jeff,
Of course I prefer order w/you, but I have dificult to figure out how to solder 4 theses square diodes in one set? :scratch:

What do you think about these Vishay GP10Y-E3/54 ?
Do you can supply it?

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/GP10Y-E3%2F54/GP10Y-E3%2F54GICT-ND/3026056
« Last Edit: 1 Sep 2015, 01:47 pm by FullRangeMan »