Oppo bdp 93 help

Manolo

• Consulting Structural Engineer
Oppo bdp 93 help
« on: 19 Oct 2014, 12:56 am »
Folks in this forum must have experience with the Oppo players, and was wondering if someone has had experience with either a 93 or 95 overloading or distording the analog output. After 2 years of faithfull service my Oppo 93 is doing this. I connect the 5.1 outputs thru my preamp to the main amp and the two surround channels to another amp. This used to work fine untill the other day watching a movie it overloads or distorts the output signal even at low volumes and it happens with CD's also. I checked with another Oppo player and my Cd player and this does not happen, ruling out pre or amp malfunction. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Phil A

Re: Oppo bdp 93 help
« Reply #1 on: 19 Oct 2014, 01:10 am »
Folks in this forum must have experience with the Oppo players, and was wondering if someone has had experience with either a 93 or 95 overloading or distording the analog output. After 2 years of faithfull service my Oppo 93 is doing this. I connect the 5.1 outputs thru my preamp to the main amp and the two surround channels to another amp. This used to work fine untill the other day watching a movie it overloads or distorts the output signal even at low volumes and it happens with CD's also. I checked with another Oppo player and my Cd player and this does not happen, ruling out pre or amp malfunction. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Many years ago with my (Modwright) BDP-83 the analog outputs would distort on certain things (many SACDs recorded with low output) going into my Bryston SP 1.7.  It is a function of the Oppo (mod has nothing to do with it) and the preamp.  I also still have 83 and also a 93 in the bedroom system and two 103Ds (one in the main system and one in a spare system).  I am not sure what preamp you have.  There even might be some old posts I did in the Bryston Circle about it.  I love the Oppos for video and they are OK for audio but like many HT pieces they are likely primary designed for use with its HDMI out.  My Bryston did not have HDMI so I used the analog inputs.

Phil A

Re: Oppo bdp 93 help
« Reply #2 on: 19 Oct 2014, 01:16 am »
Here is one of my old posts I was referring to (see post number 920) - http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=50270.msg917596#msg917596

THX specs require certain things so that is why I guessed it is a function of the Oppo and preamp