Odyssey Stratos HT-3: How hot (heat sink) is normal?

anwar1965

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a used Odyssey Stratos HT-3 Plus SE, serial number 4318.  It's 220 V version (written outside the box) since I live in Malaysia, which is a 240 V 50 Hz country.

The amp sounds good, but other than hum coming from the all 3 LCR speakers at near distance, the heat sink gets hotter and hotter over time, especially the right side.  Even when left on idle without any music, the heat sink becomes really hot after many hours.

I measured each phase of the 3-phase AC power supply to my house.  The values are between 230 to 235 V and very stable, so AC over voltage is not the problem.  Torus RM power conditioner is used.

I checked the specs and the idle power consumption is 30 W, and that is not supposed to generate a lot of heat.

Is this normal?  I am not sure what will happen if the HT-3 amp is left on continuously.

Experience sharing from Stratos owners welcomed, thank you.

Anwar

klaus@odyssey

Re: Odyssey Stratos HT-3: How hot (heat sink) is normal?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2018, 02:06 am »
Hey Anwar,

First,  welcome to the family man....second,  there's a massive, massive difference in the bias between 220 and 235 V.  Huge,  and yes,  that will heat up the Sankens big time.  The amp was certainly set up for optimum performance at 220 V.  and needs to be rebiased for sure.  This also minimizes the hum as well.  The stereo amp is appr. 30 W on idle,  yes,  but you also have a center channel as well,  and the heat is accumulative, which in turn brings up the bias again,  etc. etc. etc.

Don't leave the amp on ,  and make arrangements for a rebias as soon as possible,

Klaus

anwar1965

« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2018, 02:13 am »
Hi Klaus,

Thank you for your prompt response.  I am comfortable doing the bias myself.  I see that Germay has posted instructions on how to bias Stratos mono. 

Klaus, if you have specific instructions for Stratos HT-3, please PM to me.  The only challenge I see is how to access the bottom (left and right channels) board.

Thanks,
Anwar

anwar1965

« Reply #3 on: 8 Feb 2018, 11:37 am »
Thank you Klaus for sending the instructions.