To Hum or not to Hum?

Mike-48

Re: To Hum or not to Hum?
« Reply #20 on: 2 Mar 2017, 12:35 am »
Yeah, that's me at Cape Kennedy Space Center. They have either a mock-up or a shell of an original capsule you can enter. I forget which it is.

I do have a few Mapleshade discs and used to get their catalogs. I am more of a common-sense audiophile. For example, I care more about good acoustics than magic cables or wood blocks. I'm not saying those things might not help some systems, but in my opinion, you need to get really far down the road towards a great room and system for tweaks to improve the musicality. Usually, systems I've heard are more lacking in the basics (like even, extended bass response, or realistic treble, or a quiet environment).  My view is, fix those big things first -- the ones that are based on accepted science -- and worry about costly cables and tweaks later.

You can view my main system by checking out my profile.

Mike-48

« Reply #21 on: 2 Mar 2017, 12:40 am »
-- deleted -- posted by mistake

rcag_ils

« Reply #22 on: 3 Mar 2017, 02:34 am »
Actually it is $6.00 for a set of four
Dynakitparts.com

Then it's not too bad, I misread the price.

Heathkit AA-32 and it's match tuner AJ-11? (I have one), I will eventually get the match paint and re-paint the covers. Probably will be a retirement project.

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #23 on: 10 Mar 2017, 12:31 am »
Hi Frank, Wayne, and anyone else,
     I was talking to my brother about my stereo humming and  he mentioned something that I don't think I mentioned to you guys. In the room of my stereo hookup is a switch on the wall going to an overhead light. It is a dimmer switch. Is this a new wrench I have thrown into the problem?
     Before I can conclude any results with the Emotiva AC line job I might need some more info or direction from you guys. My brother said try running a cord from another room. I have also seen my overhead light change while listening to some music.
    One thing I learned was a brand new Onkyo cd player 7030 was humming too. Plugging into the Emotiva did nothing. I brought it to the place I bought it and the tech there could not hear anything with the top off and ear close to the tranny. He let me try it too and it was dead quiet. I can't conclude anything about my Dyna amp humming until I solve this mystery. It did seem to work but has me thinking about a double checking if I get the cd player quiet too.
    I could take the dimmer out but it might destroy my fantasy of actually using it someday for some musically induced hanky panky! Hey, does a candle effect the sound?....Mark Korda

Wayner

« Reply #24 on: 10 Mar 2017, 12:43 am »
Now this changes things. The are high quality dimmers and not so high quality dimmers. It certainly can be a source of noise. Buy a cheap on/off switch, put it in and see if the hum goes away. If it does, you have found your hum source.

Mike-48

« Reply #25 on: 10 Mar 2017, 12:45 am »
Now this changes things. The are high quality dimmers and not so high quality dimmers. It certainly can be a source of noise. Buy a cheap on/off switch, put it in and see if the hum goes away. If it does, you have found your hum source.

If the dimmer switch is turned to OFF, could it still be causing hum in the other components?

Shermanaudio

« Reply #26 on: 10 Mar 2017, 12:50 am »
Get yourself a cheater plug and start lifting grounds...

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #27 on: 13 Mar 2017, 10:50 pm »
Hi,
    Mike from Mayberry N.C., that question you asked had me thinking for days. Why not just turn off the switch?
  I asked this question a few times to a master electrical guy I do painting for. He told me almost exactly what Wayner said and added the question of age to a almost mal funtioning of the single pole dimmer switch which I'd say mine is 20 years old. He told me to change it like Wayne did. It's on the same circuit as the outlets in the room and I can't run a cord for a test to another room because that rooms circuit has a dimmer too.
    Sherman, if your out there thanks for your input. I'm not sure exactly how you lift the grounds but did read a new tip about that in the last 2 Absolute Sound magizines about polarity and ground loops involving the ever needed gray plug.
    Thanks alot you guys for all the help on kind of a boring post by me. I'm getting an outlet tomorrow before the 2 feet of snow were going to get. This will keep me busy between shoveling...... Mark......Wayner, I have a picture of another wacko project that you might like. I'm going to write down my e-mail in an effort to get yours. It's easier for me to send you a picture that way.....thanks again you guys...(kordamark@gmail.com)